2021 - back to Austin

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

hole_shot58
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 2021 - back to Georgetown?

Post by hole_shot58 »

Do we know if this will involve more than one day of training? They mentioned hotels. And will we definitely be shooting at Florence? That's a couple hours minimum just to get a group on the range and tested.

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 6

Post by KC5AV »

In the past, it has been a single day, and no shooting. The only time I have ever shot in Florence was for my initial instructor class.
Hotels are likely mentioned because most people won’t be able to drive in on the day of their scheduled class.
NRA lifetime member

extremist
Posts in topic: 3

Post by extremist »

Well I guess I'm one of the first to get email. It's clear what is required.
Invitation Email

Thank you for submitting your renewal application.

The Department has scheduled LTC Instructor Renewal classes to be held in Florence, Texas

In order to complete the renewal process, it will be necessary for you to attend the 3 hour LTC Instructor Renewal class. To sign-up for a class takes three steps.

In addition to the classroom training, you are also required to demonstrate proficiency with both a revolver and a semi-automatic handgun following the LTC Course of Fire. The proficiency demonstration must be conducted with another LTC Certified Instructor. Once you have passed the proficiency, a LTC-100 must be completed and submitted RSD_LRS_LTC@dps.texas.gov. Your information will be entered as the student and the LTC Instructor who conducted the test must be entered as the Instructor. The only portion that should be left blank is the classroom information. Be sure to enter the range address and sign at the bottom of the page
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

billypat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by billypat »

"In addition to the classroom training, you are also required to demonstrate proficiency with both a revolver and a semi-automatic handgun following the LTC Course of Fire." Following the LTC Course of Fire? typo or what?

I did the paperwork and submitted the 90 and such yesterday. Wonder what the turn time is?

extremist

Post by extremist »

billypat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:30 am "In addition to the classroom training, you are also required to demonstrate proficiency with both a revolver and a semi-automatic handgun following the LTC Course of Fire." Following the LTC Course of Fire? typo or what?

I did the paperwork and submitted the 90 and such yesterday. Wonder what the turn time is?
Sorry what do you think is a typo, I'm confused 😕
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As Vol Texan noted, we had a small group in 2019, but it was fun. We started with Mexican food at Marino's in Friendswood, then we shout the LTC course.

I'll be happy to host anyone who wants to do their Instructor LTC qualification at PSC. I suggest we get it done soon rather than wait until after the class in Florence. I can't do it this week, but, at this point, I can do it Wednesday, Thursday or Friday of next week. We can do it anytime of the day, but I suggest we either do it early or late afternoon. It won't be cool, but it will be cooler.

Respond to this thread if you are interested.

Chas.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Greybeard »

Excerpt of e-mail received this morning after jumping thru the proper hoops. 3 hour sessions in Florence in mornings OR afternoons.

LTC Instructor Renewal Class Schedule - 2021

Ø August - 10, 12, 24, 26, 31

Ø September - 1, 2

Ø October - 5, 6, 7, 19, 20

Ø November - 9, 16

My first 2 choices were Aug. 24 or 26 afternoons. Plans to drive down and back the same day.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AF-Odin »

Hope to see you there Greybeard as those were also my first two choices. Answered their email with my choices on Friday morning within 30 minutes of the arrival of the email. For me it is pretty easy as I only live about 30 minutes north of Florence. Just did not want to get up early and fight the morning Fort Hood traffic to get our of town.

Edited to add, just got my confirmation for afternoon class on 24 August. Sign in at 1230. :anamatedbanana
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

So we have to endure all the travel and the lodging expenses just for an one-day class? Could It be done via online course?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Greybeard »

Glocker - You must be new around here. ;-) Heck, it's just 3 hours instead of 8. And every 2 years, we do renew online only.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

howdy

Post by howdy »

I go on August 12. afternoon. I thought we only had to shoot every other requal. They said we had to shoot again this time.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

howdy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:23 pm I go on August 12. afternoon. I thought we only had to shoot every other requal. They said we had to shoot again this time.
Instructors have to requalify with every renewal. It's the in-person class vs online class that's every other renewal.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

howdy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:23 pm I go on August 12. afternoon. I thought we only had to shoot every other requal. They said we get to shoot again this time.
There - fixed it for ya.

:tiphat:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

We are confirmed for Aug 10, morning session.

Hopefully, DPS will have it all together for the first class of this renewal season.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Aug 10, afternoon. Hopefully Crossfire will have helped them iron out all the bugs.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “Instructors' Corner”