2021 - back to Austin

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 2021 - back to Georgetown?

Post by BCGlocker »

Are we allow to carry in the renewal class?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 6

Post by KC5AV »

We always have been. The only time I’ve ever encountered requests not to carry were in my initial instructor class when there were people in class who were getting their CHL at the same time they were getting their instructor certification. Those people were requested to leave their guns either in their vehicles or their hotel rooms. It was a challenging situation for some, because there were a number of vehicles being broken into in the parking lot of the conference center they used that week.
NRA lifetime member

billypat

Post by billypat »

extremist wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:55 am
billypat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:30 am "In addition to the classroom training, you are also required to demonstrate proficiency with both a revolver and a semi-automatic handgun following the LTC Course of Fire." Following the LTC Course of Fire? typo or what?

I did the paperwork and submitted the 90 and such yesterday. Wonder what the turn time is?
Sorry what do you think is a typo, I'm confused 😕
It said "Following the LTC Course of Fire." Does this mean we have to complete the COF before we go to Florence? That is what I didn't understand.

extremist
Posts in topic: 3

Post by extremist »

billypat wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:53 am
billypat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:30 am "In addition to the classroom training, you are also required to demonstrate proficiency with both a revolver and a semi-automatic handgun following the LTC Course of Fire." Following the LTC Course of Fire? typo or what?

I did the paperwork and submitted the 90 and such yesterday. Wonder what the turn time is?
It said "Following the LTC Course of Fire." Does this mean we have to complete the COF before we go to Florence? That is what I didn't understand.
It simply means, in addition to attending the 3 Hour Class in Georgetown, you also have to demonstrate proficiency with revolver/Semi SOMEWHERE with an LTC instructor using the standard LTC course Of Fire for proficiency. Nothing more nothing less. You have to submit an LTC-100 signed by an instructor and the Proficiency Demonstration section completed and the LTC Instructor Renewal circle filled in.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Mike S
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike S »

extremist wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:30 am
billypat wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:53 am

It simply means, in addition to attending the 3 Hour Class in Georgetown, you also have to demonstrate proficiency with revolver/Semi SOMEWHERE with an LTC instructor using the standard LTC course Of Fire for proficiency. Nothing more nothing less. You have to submit an LTC-100 signed by an instructor and the Proficiency Demonstration section completed and the LTC Instructor Renewal circle filled in.
:iagree:
In this context, the word "following" isn't in the chronological sense. Replace the word "following" with "using'.

Or perhaps a more concise statement would be:
"In accordance with Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 6 of the
Texas Admin Code"

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/r ... ch=6&rl=35
Last edited by Mike S on Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Greybeard »

Got e-mail this morning from RSD notifying that at least my Aug. 24p.m. re-up school has been moved from Florence to Austin due to "water source failure". New location at Norris Conference Centers does not sound good with 'Important Note' of "Be prepared for traffic delays on I-35 north or south."
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AF-Odin »

Greybeard,

Got the same email. Are you doing the am or pm class? I am in the PM. Don't know where you are in Denton County, but have you considered coming down 281 vice I-35 then in Lampasas moving over from 281 to 183. Austin traffic in the morning and afternoon rush hours is terrible. Lunch time not so much. Will you be driving down the day of or spending the night. From Fort Hood I will be jumping on to 183 down to MOPAC and then over to Anderson.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Scott B.

Re: 2021 - back to Austin

Post by Scott B. »

I stayed at that Orangewood Suites near the new location about 6 yrs ago. It wasn't terrible.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Greybeard »

AF - I am also doing the 1:00 class. Might catch up with ya there. Yep, when daughter lived in Austin we sometimes did a "western" drop down. A pretty drive. This change made me consider doing an overnighter, but I already have a little class scheduled for the evening of the 23rd. I will probably see what the Googlefoo maps are saying and hit the road not later than 6:30. When I mentioned this change to my daughter (with Master's Degree in Business Administration), she said "It seems to me the State could save taxpayers a lot of money if they just left the school in Florence and brought in some porta potties and cases of bottled water. It's not like you need potable water to flush." ;-)
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I just got an email from them listing August 12, 24, and 26, but there will be dates for September and October coming later.

Please respond to this email with your prioritized list of dates within 48 hours… The only problem is that none of those dates work for me. It’s too late to request a day off for the 12th, and I’m on call August 23-29. The email says nothing about what to do if I’d prefer to wait for the dates in September or October.
NRA lifetime member

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Greybeard,

Agree, we are only going to be there for 3ish hours, port-a-potties and bottled water make a lot more sense to me than putting it down in Austin, but since when did anything a governmental body do that made sense. I just hope DPS revises the written test. Most of their questions I would replace with more emphasis on actual knowledge of laws as the when and where to carry and justifiable use of force/deadly force rather than gun cleaning questions.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

KC5AV wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:44 am I just got an email from them listing August 12, 24, and 26, but there will be dates for September and October coming later.

Please respond to this email with your prioritized list of dates within 48 hours… The only problem is that none of those dates work for me. It’s too late to request a day off for the 12th, and I’m on call August 23-29. The email says nothing about what to do if I’d prefer to wait for the dates in September or October.
I emailed RSD yesterday asking about the other dates. The response said my name would be left on the list, and that I’d get an email when September and October dates were finalized.
NRA lifetime member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Just finished lunch, heading over shortly.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Take good notes.
NRA lifetime member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”