DPS requiring SAAMI ammo for some, but not others???

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

DPS requiring SAAMI ammo for some, but not others???

Post by Paladin »

It has come to my attention that for a number of months the DPS has waived the SAAMI ammo requirement and has been allowing NEW LTC instructor quals use any ammo they wish.

While First Responder Instructor Certification for current instructors has a much larger round count requirement (400 vs 100) and requires SAAMI ammo.

Can anyone confirm?

This seems to be very disrespectful and unfair to treat certified instructors this way.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DPS requiring SAAMI ammo for some, but not others???

Post by Tex1961 »

News to me, but I’m not into reloading so pretty much everything I have would meet SAAMI specs. I can understand why they would require it though.

Where did you hear about this?

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

back in 08 when i did my 1st chl the class did not allow reloads for use during the shooting test parts.

and my instructor told us the DPS did not allow them at the school for instructors.

i understand why sort of. but i reload and out of over 18k rounds loaded, i have 2 yes 2 that failed, one was my fault as i didnt check powder load and it squibed and the other i have no idea as it just went click and had powder in it once i removed the bullet. bad primer i guesss which could be in factory rounds as well

some reloaders may not be as analretentive about loading so they default to the standard ???
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:52 pm News to me, but I’m not into reloading so pretty much everything I have would meet SAAMI specs. I can understand why they would require it though.

Where did you hear about this?
Texas Hometown Forum at ar15.com
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

According to the "Additional Information/Requirements First responder Certification Instructor Class" that was provided to one of my colleagues who is currently in the first class. I will confirm with him tomorrow after his class is finished.

Ammunition
- Must have a minimum of 400 rounds of appropriate ammunition (extra is recommended)
- Reloaded ammunition is allowed
- Must meet SAAMI specifications (see approved list below)

SAAMI approved list
- 4W ammunition
- ASYM
- Atlanta Arms
- Black hills
- Blount, Inc.
- CCI/Speer
- Federal/American Eagle
- Fiocchi of America
- Hornady
- Olin/Winchester
- PMC
- Remington/UMC

I think the top three are commercial companies that sell "Remanufactured" (Reloaded) ammunition

I do concur with a previous comment that I have had almost zero issues with MY reloads and actually have had less issues than with Winchester White Box
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”