Changes In Class Notification

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mec
Posts in topic: 3

Changes In Class Notification

Post by mec »

The DPS has just sent out several pages of revised material for instructors.

The most significant thing seems to be the requirement that DPS be notified of impending classes two to four weeks in advance.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hmmmmm ... My packet must still be in the mail ...

' Just firmed up an appointment yesterday for a private renewal class next Tuesday p.m. for a former student who's birthday is next month. ' Guess if I do get "revised materials" from DPS in the mail today, I'm supposed to call her to tell her we can't do it that quickly .... :roll:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
mec

Post by mec »

I doubt that but who knows? A while back, I was trying to work with a special needs type applicant and he wanted it set up the next day. This didn't leave time to get them even the short notice they had been accepting. So, I called the CHL Unit and the employee told me that It was ok but to go ahead and send in the notification form so they could have it on file. It wouldn't matter that it arrived after the fact.

The packet starts out with a long paragraph about program integrity enforced by DPS monitoring of classes. It could be that things have slowed down enough that they are planning to do more monitoring of the remaining instructors. For a long time, according to one of the instructors, they never visited unless there had been some sort of complaint.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Well, my packet arrived in the mail and I had time to review over the weekend. And lit 'em up with an e-mail this morning.

It appears from here there have been some problems with those who've not played by the rules - and it could cause headaches even for those of us who have ... Deja Moo (Where have I heard this bull before ....)

The other significant change I noticed is the TR-100 now being valid for only 6 months.

Topic author
mec

Post by mec »

As per instructor renewal class of 9-19, the two to 4 week advance notice is no longer so important. the individual from the CHL administrative office said not to "turn anybody away" because of that notice. Since it came out, CHL, Private Security/Investigators and, I belive LCB are all under the same umbrealla as to class monitoring. They now have two sergents and 25 investigators free to monitor those programs and are not as pressed as when the two to four weeks thing went out.

Somebody asked who made the most complaints against CHL instructors and the quick answer was "rival CHL instructors." Happens all the time in private security too.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

My quote above: "The other significant change I noticed is the TR-100 now being valid for only 6 months."

Looks like this only applied to renewals.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”