Wanted: Houston area CHL instructor for hearing impaired

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
apostate
Posts in topic: 2

Wanted: Houston area CHL instructor for hearing impaired

Post by apostate »

Does anyone have suggestions for firearms and CHL training for deaf and hearing impaired folk in the Houston/Galveston area?

Better yet... if you are a CHL instructor in the area and have experience teaching hearing impaired students, please PM me and I'll send you the contact info.
Are you aware of any resources for teaching concealed
handgun classes for a group of Deaf/hearing impaired
individuals? We have an interested group and are trying
to connect with interpreters and qualified range and
teaching resources.
Thanks in advance...

BobCat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wanted: Houston area CHL instructor for hearing impaired

Post by BobCat »

deleted - read the quote and realized it was a group of people, not an individual.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Topic author
apostate

Post by apostate »

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I doubt they will find a CHL instructor who can sign. However, I would think the group could get someone to sign for them, as long as the instructor was willing to do a class just for them. I suspect the class would be much longer than 10 hrs, because of the "translation" that would be required. I'm certainly willing to give it a try at PSC, but I suspect a "translator" for 10+ hrs won't be cheap. At least the cost could be spread among the group.

I'll email DPS and see if the "translator" has to be certified. If so, the cost to the group just went up. (BTW, I apologize if I'm using outdated terminology.)
Chas.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I doubt they will find a CHL instructor who can sign. However, I would think the group could get someone to sign for them, as long as the instructor was willing to do a class just for them. I suspect the class would be much longer than 10 hrs, because of the "translation" that would be required. I'm certainly willing to give it a try at PSC, but I suspect a "translator" for 10+ hrs won't be cheap. At least the cost could be spread among the group.

I'll email DPS and see if the "translator" has to be certified. If so, the cost to the group just went up. (BTW, I apologize if I'm using outdated terminology.)
Chas.
We actually have an all day seminar for severe storm spotting here in North Texas that uses folks to sign for the hearing impaired. I believe they use a group of people that are 'in training' themselves as translators. There are usually 3-4 folks signing and they trade off frequently. Works pretty well. I will try to find out what organization they are with and see how the folks in charge get them, and if there is a fee (public service vs. private.)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I bet it would take a crew of people to work a 10 hr. class!

Chas.
Keith B wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I doubt they will find a CHL instructor who can sign. However, I would think the group could get someone to sign for them, as long as the instructor was willing to do a class just for them. I suspect the class would be much longer than 10 hrs, because of the "translation" that would be required. I'm certainly willing to give it a try at PSC, but I suspect a "translator" for 10+ hrs won't be cheap. At least the cost could be spread among the group.

Chas.
We actually have an all day seminar for severe storm spotting here in North Texas that uses folks to sign for the hearing impaired. I believe they use a group of people that are 'in training' themselves as translators. There are usually 3-4 folks signing and they trade off frequently. Works pretty well. I will try to find out what organization they are with and see how the folks in charge get them, and if there is a fee (public service vs. private.)

Return to “Instructors' Corner”