Child support arrears

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
threeg45
Posts in topic: 2

Child support arrears

Post by threeg45 »

I just want to be sure about the issue of an applicant who has arrears in child support but is in a payment plan to repay. Is that person able to receive their CHL? I don't want to tell a student they can apply and end up being turned down for that reason.
Thanks in advance.
Texas CHL instructor
NRA member
NRA instructor 3 certifications
TSRA member

mymojo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Child support arrears

Post by mymojo »

How can he be behind in child support and have the money for a CHL class?
"Dialing 9-1-1 is wise.... Expecting them to arrive in time to save you is foolish." - Tsung Tzu, The Art of War

juggernaut

Post by juggernaut »

FINALLY DELINQUENT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

mymojo wrote:How can he be behind in child support and have the money for a CHL class?
Now that's a good question!

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

mymojo wrote:How can he be behind in child support and have the money for a CHL class?
:iagree: :headscratch :fire
Word.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Folks
Help threeg45 w/ his question or no comment please.
I deal w/ folks litterally every week who have no $$s for their 3mo past due electric bill that is $400 to 5 & $600.00 but plenty of $$$s for beer, cigaretts, cable, internet, pet food for 3 german shepards & 2 cats, ...I can keep going....

They are on every street corner w/ messed up priorities.
This question is valid for a new instructor.
Thank you
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

gpeloq

Post by gpeloq »

threeg45 wrote:I just want to be sure about the issue of an applicant who has arrears in child support but is in a payment plan to repay. Is that person able to receive their CHL? I don't want to tell a student they can apply and end up being turned down for that reason.
Thanks in advance.
What we were told in our August renewal class was "If you are behind they would not issue". I realize this is a change from the old position of finally determined to be deliquent but that is what we were told.
TX CHL Instructor
NRA Instructor:
Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home, Refuse to Be a Victim
NRA RSO

RugerP345

Post by RugerP345 »

I was wondering the same thing when I first applied for my CHL. Back in 2000 the ex went to court and said I had not paid a single dime since 95! The court said ok and slapped me with an arrears of 18K!! :eek6 Once the court made their decision, my child support started getting deducted from my paycheck. By the way her accusations were fraudulent and after 8 years the matter was put to bed I paid her by check each month and had the proof prior to 200. Unfortunately the courts always tend to side with the mother, sigh and had to get a lawyer to iron this whole mess out. :deadhorse: I was able to get my CHL even though I had that 18K of arrears, but I had not missed a payment since it was atomagicaly deducted from my paycheck. If you have a payment plan set up with the state, and are paying, you should be good to go. Good luck for the person in questionI know I was biting my nails the whole 120 days I waited on my plastic. :fire
Ignorance and obscurantism have never produced anything other than flocks of slaves for tyranny. ~ Emiliano Zapata in a Letter to Pancho Villa

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

gpeloq wrote:
threeg45 wrote:I just want to be sure about the issue of an applicant who has arrears in child support but is in a payment plan to repay. Is that person able to receive their CHL? I don't want to tell a student they can apply and end up being turned down for that reason.
Thanks in advance.
What we were told in our August renewal class was "If you are behind they would not issue". I realize this is a change from the old position of finally determined to be deliquent but that is what we were told.
That was said in the October class also. It also ignores both the express language of the statute, and conflicts with DPS's own FAQ on their website.

Chas.

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

why cant you carry a gun and owe money to your baby mama? Anyone care to explain how that makes the world a safer place?
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Because the State believes that carrying a gun is not a right, but a privilege which they can give and deny at their will and on their terms.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

As noted above lets keep it to the issue of what an instructor should say and not the merits yes? I'd love to argue the merits but that would be in another thread.
EDIT: I just noticed I am a senior member. That and the title of another thread: defying gravity (my belly aint!) has me feeling old... :cryin

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
gpeloq wrote:
Thanks in advance.
That was said in the October class also. It also ignores both the express language of the statute, and conflicts with DPS's own FAQ on their website.

Chas.
This is why I have not jumped in with a response. Because what we were told in the last instructor renewal class conflicts with the statute, then it would be best for the prospective student to contact DPS for the answer.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

frazzled wrote:As noted above lets keep it to the issue of what an instructor should say and not the merits yes?

Thank you frazzled.
2nd request from Mod.
Keep it on topic & not on the one behind on child support.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
threeg45

Post by threeg45 »

I think I will tell the student what the statue says and suggest to them to call the DPS on this issue. Thanks.
Texas CHL instructor
NRA member
NRA instructor 3 certifications
TSRA member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”