packing in class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

lrb111
Posts in topic: 1

Re: packing in class

Post by lrb111 »

Every time we've been down there they make an announcement after the shooting classifier. Whoever needs to re-conceal their shooter goes to one side of the range to reload and reholster.
It's never been the slightest problem, that I remember.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

MoJo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MoJo »

The answer is a qualified YES if you have a CHL. According to the instructor I spoke with they had some problems in the past with students taking their guns out in class or on break to show them off. :shock: He said that if everyone plays by the rules you can have your gun with you there will be an announcement to that effect made the first day. In other words, keep your pea pickin' paws off of your pistol. :thumbs2:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
Bill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bill »

Thanks for the heads up, BTW I never pull mine out to show it off, come on we all have seen most everything out there anyway
Last edited by Bill on Tue May 11, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
retired CHL Instructor

bkj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bkj »

A peace officer may disarm a CHL license holder if he reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the officer, the holder, or any other individual
"When seconds count the police are minutes away" Nikki Goeser

“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority…They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.” Noah Webster

KFP

Post by KFP »

bkj wrote: ...reasonably believes it is necessary...
Correct.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

KFP wrote:
bkj wrote: ...reasonably believes it is necessary...
Correct.
Exactly. It would be tough for a "peace officer" to reasonably claim that there was any safety issues for a CHL Instructors class where everybody is there voluntarily, are presumably familiar with the handling of firearms, and no crime or criminal investigation is in process.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

JAguirre

Post by JAguirre »

:iagree:

bkj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bkj »

He is in a room full of people does not know. And he has no idea of how well you handle a firearm.
"When seconds count the police are minutes away" Nikki Goeser

“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority…They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.” Noah Webster

KFP

Post by KFP »

bkj wrote:He is in a room full of people does not know. And he has no idea of how well you handle a firearm.
Will you require renewal students to disarm?
Life Member NRA & TSRA

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Just because some good ole boy has a CHL doesn't mean he knows how to properly handle a firearm. :rules: Or practices safe gun handling skills. :nono:
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

MoJo wrote::iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Just because some good ole boy has a CHL doesn't mean he knows how to properly handle a firearm. :rules: Or practices safe gun handling skills. :nono:
Using that "logic", every officer should always disarm every CHL he comes across.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

sjfcontrol wrote:
MoJo wrote::iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Using that "logic", every officer should always disarm every CHL he comes across.

Since the OP was "packing in class" I was thinking along the lines of being a DPS instructor in a room full or yahoos I don't know and one of them pulls a gun out. If I were the instructor I would 1. disarm him 2. arrest him 3. transport him to jail 4. bye bye CHL.
George Mason

KFP

Post by KFP »

MoJo wrote:Since the OP was "packing in class" I was thinking along the lines of being a DPS instructor in a room full or yahoos I don't know and one of them pulls a gun out. If I were the instructor I would 1. disarm him 2. arrest him 3. transport him to jail 4. bye bye CHL.

I do not agree with attempting to restrict legal concealed carry.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Let me see . . . have I ever heard of a CHL shooting the mirror in his bedroom? . . . Ah, no I haven't. Do I remember fellow officers shooting the mirror in the squad room while practicing their quick draw? . . . As a matter of fact I do, more than one. Do I recall a fellow officer shooting his briefcase sitting on the front seat of his car? Ah . . . yes I do! Do I recall an officer having an AD when he reholstered with his finger on the trigger at dept. qualifications? As a matter of fact, yes I do. Do I remember COPS drawing their revolvers and automatics at dept. qualifications only to find green "leather corrosion" on the muzzle. Again, yes I do! Do I remember any officer . . . well, you get the idea.

If anyone thinks COPS are master pistoleros, you haven't been around many COPS. There is no more reason to distrust a room full of CHL instructors than there is to distrust a room full of COPS. In fact, if the COPS aren't firearms instructors, there's a lot more reason to fear them than the CHL instructors. Except for a relatively few officers, COPS can't shoot and their gun handling skills are deplorable. Ask any experienced shooter who is a COP and they will agree. We used to actively recruit COPS to shoot our IDPA matches and we gave up because they didn't want to be "shown up by civilians." The COPS who do shoot with us just shake their heads.

A friend who spend 28 years with Houston PD said it best; if you see a COP unsnapping his holster HIT THE DIRT! This came from a guy with a lot of gun fighting experience.

Chas.

Edited to add: This is tongue-in-cheek.

Topic author
Bill

Post by Bill »

Especially the old timers, most of the guys I am involved with have been on the force 20 plus years, they only shoot to re-qualify
retired CHL Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”