Info on being a CHL instructor

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Info on being a CHL instructor

Post by Venus Pax »

I'm hoping to gain a bit of knowledge and wisdom on becoming a CHL instructor.
I currently teach in a middle school. I work with students with disabilities, most of whom have dyslexia. I've taught for six years (this is year #7). As much as I love it, it has proven to be a very exhausting job, and requires more time before and after school than anyone would imagine.

Dh and I are planning to start a family within about a year or 18 months, and we would both like for me to quit working. I don't know if or when I would return to the classroom once this happens.

Here's my predicament: I'm nearly finished with my training as a dyslexia therapist. Although I can make $20 to $35 per session (60 to 90 min.), my number of students will be limited. (This is due to time constraints and the fact that most people do not wish to pay this type of rate for intensive instruction 4 times per week.)

Dh says that I will definitely need to do something to supplement his income. I will take on a few students, but need something else to help. I'm not a good salesperson. If a product is crappy, I'll tell you. If it isn't, I'll tell you that too.

I'm wondering how I would turn out financially as a CHL instructor. In spite of my decent hourly rate for tutoring kids with dyslexia, I do spend a lot in overhead (materials and class fees). What would I be looking at with regard to overhead if I chose to get a CHL instructor's license?

I don't mind if the pay isn't high. I don't expect to make much if I'm not working a full time job. I do need to know if it is a wise decision from a financial perspective, as I will no longer have my own income to back me.

I don't want to be misunderstood--my reason for choosing this over other options is that 2A is something I strongly believe in, and I would enjoy helping good citizens to become CHL holders. If I did this, it wouldn't be solely for money. But whatever I choose has to be something that has an overhead low enough to keep me well into the black, with little risk of going into the red.

I have more questions, but I'll put them on another post.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

cxm

Re: Info on being a CHL instructor

Post by cxm »

Few if any CHL instructors make a full time living at it... it is good for a few hundred a month for most of us... we do it for the pleasure of it and to help others be able to defend themselves.

FWIW

Chuck

Venus Pax wrote:I'm hoping to gain a bit of knowledge and wisdom on becoming a CHL instructor.
I currently teach in a middle school. I work with students with disabilities, most of whom have dyslexia. I've taught for six years (this is year #7). As much as I love it, it has proven to be a very exhausting job, and requires more time before and after school than anyone would imagine.

Dh and I are planning to start a family within about a year or 18 months, and we would both like for me to quit working. I don't know if or when I would return to the classroom once this happens.

Here's my predicament: I'm nearly finished with my training as a dyslexia therapist. Although I can make $20 to $35 per session (60 to 90 min.), my number of students will be limited. (This is due to time constraints and the fact that most people do not wish to pay this type of rate for intensive instruction 4 times per week.)

Dh says that I will definitely need to do something to supplement his income. I will take on a few students, but need something else to help. I'm not a good salesperson. If a product is crappy, I'll tell you. If it isn't, I'll tell you that too.

I'm wondering how I would turn out financially as a CHL instructor. In spite of my decent hourly rate for tutoring kids with dyslexia, I do spend a lot in overhead (materials and class fees). What would I be looking at with regard to overhead if I chose to get a CHL instructor's license?

I don't mind if the pay isn't high. I don't expect to make much if I'm not working a full time job. I do need to know if it is a wise decision from a financial perspective, as I will no longer have my own income to back me.

I don't want to be misunderstood--my reason for choosing this over other options is that 2A is something I strongly believe in, and I would enjoy helping good citizens to become CHL holders. If I did this, it wouldn't be solely for money. But whatever I choose has to be something that has an overhead low enough to keep me well into the black, with little risk of going into the red.

I have more questions, but I'll put them on another post.
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Hi Venus

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, this is class day for most of us instructors and we haven't been home long.

I don't think I could tell you whether or not you would make a good instructor, I can tell you that you will probably not make a lot of money at it, there are a lot of hidden cost for most of us, some that work for a range or those that work for the Jr. Colleges might be in a better position income wise.

I can tell you that I like doing this, I like meeting all of the folk's who come to my class, I feel like I made or renewed my friendship with 16 people today, I can tell you that I tried to be helpful to them and that I have never had a class that I thought was good enough for them and that I am going to try to do better next week, there is always that something that I should have said, the question I should have asked, the point I should have stressed.

I hope that our students realize that most of us are not real teachers, we are shooters [ I think most are OLD shooters ] who are doing something we like and trying to help.

You will have to do what we all did, if you think you might like teaching the CHL jump in and see.

By the way I got up at 4:30 to load up every thing and get ready for the class, I got home at 9:pm tired but Happy :lol:

I just read what Graybeard wrote in the other thread and he's right we learn something from every class.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

TraCoun

Instructor thoughts ...

Post by TraCoun »

ElGato wrote:Hi Venus
... and that I have never had a class that I thought was good enough for them and that I am going to try to do better next week, there is always that something that I should have said, the question I should have asked, the point I should have stressed.
ElGato,

Good post!

One way or another I've been a 'teacher' for quite a bit of my adult life - at a couple colleges, as an industrial-type trainer (current) and as an NRA Instructor and Training Counselor. There are four things I have observed that hold through all of it:

1. I'm never as prepared as I would really like to be

2. I'm always at least a little nervous in class - in fact I feel that if I ever go into a class and have absolutely no butterflies or concerns, something isn't quite right

3. I have yet to have a class that I felt went absolutely perfectly -- I always spot something I would like to improve

4. In any class, I can learn something from the students -- and that has been especially true in the NRA Basic and Instructor classes I've done.

Thanx,
TraCoun

Kyle Brown

Post by Kyle Brown »

Hello Venus

There are several things to consider with regard to overhead. The first major expense will be attending the instructor's class in Austin. I spoke wiith a lady who completed the class last year who spent approximately $1,000 that week. I am sure there are ways to trim that expense.

The next expense to consider is where you will hold the lecture portion of your class. In some communities, facilities are available at little or no cost. I teach in the "library" of an historic hotel in Abilene. It is quiet and comfortable. I reserve it for the day, so there are no interruptions.

Next, you must consider where you will give the proficiency exam. Check with local and area gun clubs. Some support concealed carry by allowing instructors to use a part of the range at a reduced fee. In selecting a range, ask if they provide target stands and see if they sell/provide targets as requied by the DPS.

Next, you might consider the cost of copies if you intend to provide handouts. In addition, I carry with me spare handguns, ear and eye protection, and ammo in 9 and 45.

And don't forget, remember the cost of the certificates you must purchase from the DPS. They are $5 each. You must provide each successful student with a certificate.

Finally, you could consider the cost of advertising. It does pay to advertise. I have an ad in the phone book, business cards and a website. I addition, I attend "fairs" and gunshows on a regular basis.

The ulitimate question of wheather you will make money depends on your control of the expense and what the market in your area will reasonably allow you to charge for your services. See how many instructors are in your area. What do they charge? Do they provide photos, notary and fingerprints? If they do and you have to provide the same to compete, then consider the costs associated with providing those services.

Best of luck to you.
Texas CHL Instructor
Paralegal Division-State Bar Of Texas
NREMT

Return to “Instructors' Corner”