CHL required instructor knowledge

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

CHL required instructor knowledge

Post by Venus Pax »

I'm not sure if you have read my other post, but I'm looking at options on other forms of income, but still want to do something I enjoy.

What kind of knowledge does one need to become a CHL instructor?

Although I've been around guns all my life, I've never messed with them much until recently. I've always been a big supporter of crime prevention and fighting back to preserve one's life and safety, so I became a CHL holder for reasons of self and family protection. In other words, my knowledge of guns consists of only what is necessary, best, or the most wise decision for defense purposes.

When I consider gun use, I consider it for its merits in stopping a threat in any form (human, dog, etc.) I'm not a big hunter, nor am I knowledgable about rifles. If it doesn't pertain to self-defense, I don't know much about it.

Would a person like me make a good CHL instructor? Obviously, a CHL instructor has to know more about the subject matter than the students. But what type of knowledge would I need to best equip my students for life with a CHL, and for obtaining and maintaining integrity and self-control as honorable examples of a CHL holder?
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

"What kind of knowledge does one need to become a CHL instructor?"

The Legislature nor even DPS seems not to have any set "standards" in that regard for being "elibible" to attend the "original" instructor school (typically offered only once a year - in early August.)

DPS has their own criteria for "knowledge" they want instructors to have upon completion of the training. And from what I've observed of your posts and seen in person at instructor schools (and heard about from others), you are already a leg up on some individuals who have attended. :roll:

I also read your other thread and will to some extent respond here. I've operated a private indoor range in a fairly populous area since the inception of the CHL law. And learned early that, for most people, it's much easier to TALK about getting the CHL than it is to get the time, money and motivation together all at the same time and actually do it.

Thus, money-wise, especially if you are not a "marketing type" in a very large market, you might do well to consider one of Murphy's Laws: "Everyone has a scheme for getting rich that will not work."

No CHL instructor that I know of has got "rich" (other than lots of personal gratification). Bottom line is that some of us just wind up working real hard for not much money ... and pick up a lot more "knowledge" along the way.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “Instructors' Corner”