Strange call from "Regulatory services."

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 24

Strange call from "Regulatory services."

Post by wgoforth »

I Received a strange phone call from someone saying they were with Regulatory Services, asking if I still taught CHL class. The call sounded strange and I have a call in to Regulatory Services about this to determine if it is legit. Here is the call to the best of my memory. Does this sound legit or anyone experienced this before?

Me: "This is Wayne"
Her: "Do you still teach concealed handgun license class?"
Me: "Yes mam I do, how may I help you?"
Her: "I am with regulatory services out of San Angelo and I need to audit your instructor license."
Me: "My next class is June 23rd, so your more than welcome to come and audit."
Her: "I don't need to sit in the class, I just need to inspect your certification."
Me: "Well you are more than welcome to, but I just received it in Jan so it could not be expired, and would think this would be in the system."
Her: "Well, Regulatory Services has recently taken this over and we need to verify everything for our dept."

Edit: Just received word from Diedra Neely over Regulatory Services. She said that ALL instructors are going to be receiving these calls, as they have not dont so in the past. That they will be asking questions to see your knowledge of the program, and look at your certification, and anything else they might need. So, get ready.
Last edited by wgoforth on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Strange call from "Regulatory services."

Post by sjfcontrol »

They sent out the certs -- why do they need to examine it. Makes no sense. (Assuming "regulatory services" is a part of DPS)
And "knowledge of the program" is verified by passing the test biannually (snicker).

(Maybe they know you as a troublemaker? :biggrinjester: )
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

Well, now I have to figure out where I put my most recent certificate. Pretty sure I filed it away in a safe place. Safe from me, anyways...
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Crossfire wrote:Well, now I have to figure out where I put my most recent certificate. Pretty sure I filed it away in a safe place. Safe from me, anyways...
Probably somewhere in a stack of Instructor's copies of CHL-100s. Good Luck! :mrgreen:
Never Forget. Image

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

I'm not an instructor, but if someone calls me and starts asking me questions about things they should already know, they are going to have to be able to prove who they are or give a number so that I can call them back.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

wgoforth wrote:I Received a strange phone call from someone saying they were with Regulatory Services, asking if I still taught CHL class. The call sounded strange and I have a call in to Regulatory Services about this to determine if it is legit. Here is the call to the best of my memory. Does this sound legit or anyone experienced this before?

Me: "This is Wayne"
Her: "Do you still teach concealed handgun license class?"
Me: "Yes mam I do, how may I help you?"
Her: "I am with regulatory services out of San Angelo and I need to audit your instructor license."
Me: "My next class is June 23rd, so your more than welcome to come and audit."
Her: "I don't need to sit in the class, I just need to inspect your certification."
Me: "Well you are more than welcome to, but I just received it in Jan so it could not be expired, and would think this would be in the system."
Her: "Well, Regulatory Services has recently taken this over and we need to verify everything for our dept."

Edit: Just received word from Diedra Neely over Regulatory Services. She said that ALL instructors are going to be receiving these calls, as they have not dont so in the past. That they will be asking questions to see your knowledge of the program, and look at your certification, and anything else they might need. So, get ready.
...well isn't that just SPECIAL that you got to be one of the first (think Church Lady)...

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

More Government run amuck.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Keith B »

This was brought up in class and said it was going to be happening. It is strictly a validation of instructors compliance with the rules of the program like record retention, proper teaching of the 'four food groups', course of fire, hours taught, etc. Mainly being done to make sure everyone is doing it right and meeting the guidelines, unlike the instructor in Houston who was selling CHL-100's or instructors who are short-cutting the guidelines and sending students out with less than what they should be.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Keith B wrote:This was brought up in class and said it was going to be happening. It is strictly a validation of instructors compliance with the rules of the program like record retention, proper teaching of the 'four food groups', course of fire, hours taught, etc. Mainly being done to make sure everyone is doing it right and meeting the guidelines, unlike the instructor in Houston who was selling CHL-100's or instructors who are short-cutting the guidelines and sending students out with less than what they should be.
I believe you are referring to another matter....that would be the auditing of a class which we were told about that as well. This is coming by the house to look at things.
Last edited by wgoforth on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

C-dub wrote:I'm not an instructor, but if someone calls me and starts asking me questions about things they should already know, they are going to have to be able to prove who they are or give a number so that I can call them back.
Which is why I called regulatory services as I mentioned to verify such.
NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

wgoforth wrote:
Keith B wrote:This was brought up in class and said it was going to be happening. It is strictly a validation of instructors compliance with the rules of the program like record retention, proper teaching of the 'four food groups', course of fire, hours taught, etc. Mainly being done to make sure everyone is doing it right and meeting the guidelines, unlike the instructor in Houston who was selling CHL-100's or instructors who are short-cutting the guidelines and sending students out with less than what they should be.
I believe you are referring to another matter....that would be the auditing of a class which we were told about that as well. This is coming by the house to look at things.
No, I am talking about an audit in general, whcih could include a class, but may also/only include instructors records. They may look at your stored CHL-100's, your course outline,etc.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Keith B wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
No, I am talking about an audit in general, whcih could include a class, but may also/only include instructors records. They may look at your stored CHL-100's, your course outline,etc.
Ok, they had told us in Jan that they might audit classes if there was a complaint or make sure we were completing full 10 hours, and also told then about the Houston instructor now in prison. At that time, they had not said anything about planning to meet with EVERY CHL instructor in the state to quiz them. I thought that was what I passed in Jan. And what's the point of asking to see our cert, since they are the ones who granted it and have the records?? Sounds like waste of revenue and manpower to me.
NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

wgoforth wrote:Ok, they had told us in Jan that they might audit classes if there was a complaint or make sure we were completing full 10 hours, and also told then about the Houston instructor now in prison. At that time, they had not said anything about planning to meet with EVERY CHL instructor in the state to quiz them. I thought that was what I passed in Jan. And what's the point of asking to see our cert, since they are the ones who granted it and have the records?? Sounds like waste of revenue and manpower to me.
Not sure why they wanted to see that. Maybe she was confused on what she meant and really meant all of your 'certificates' as in CHL-100's, CHL-8's, etc. I am sure they will want to see more than just that one thing.
Keith

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

I seem to remember that the CHL-100's needed to be kept for 5-years.
I see in the Instructors class-notes that it's 3-years.
I can't find any mention of record retention in the CHL-16.

Everybody agree that the CHL-100/8 retention period is 3-years?

One wonders why (other than 'because we said so') we need to keep these records at all. DPS has the original CHL-100 sent in by the students. And they can verify their validity by comparing with the appropriate CHL-8's sent in by the instructors. The only reason for US to keep copies, as far as I can tell, is in case DPS loses their copies.

At most, seems silly to have to keep the copies for longer than the originals are valid for anyway.
Never Forget. Image

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

sjfcontrol wrote:I seem to remember that the CHL-100's needed to be kept for 5-years.
I see in the Instructors class-notes that it's 3-years.
I can't find any mention of record retention in the CHL-16.

Everybody agree that the CHL-100/8 retention period is 3-years?

One wonders why (other than 'because we said so') we need to keep these records at all. DPS has the original CHL-100 sent in by the students. And they can verify their validity by comparing with the appropriate CHL-8's sent in by the instructors. The only reason for US to keep copies, as far as I can tell, is in case DPS loses their copies.

At most, seems silly to have to keep the copies for longer than the originals are valid for anyway.
3 years.

And, the one issue is in case there is question that someone possibly modified their CHL-100 between the class and sending it to DPS, such as changing NSA to SA, didn't really complete the range time with original instructor, but penciled it in later, etc. They are processing about 13,000 CHL's month down there, so that is a lot of paperwork to go through. If they do an internal check of their records 6 months, a year or 2.99 years later, see something that looks suspicious, they can come back and ask you to look at the original.
Keith

Return to “Instructors' Corner”