Deadly Force Course Content

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Deadly Force Course Content

Post by Keith B »

superchief wrote:I have found in my classes that I spend a lot of time answering questions about the laws on deadly force that don't really apply to carrying a concealed handgun (protection of property, theft, etc). Do we have to teach all the laws on deadly force or can we concentrate on the parts that deal with situations students will encounter with their concealed handgun. After doing this a while, I'm getting tired of all the "what if" questions that deal with home invasions, burglary and other situations that are "generic" in nature. Regular citizens (non-chls) don't have to have any training to keep a gun in the home. Why burden myself with training that doesn't apply to chl situations?
Deadly force laws are one of the basics that MUST be taught in classes. Per the admin rules,
GC §411.174. APPLICATION. (a) An applicant for a license to carry a concealed handgun must submit to the director's designee described by Section 411.176:
(8) an affidavit signed by the applicant stating that the applicant:
(A) has read and understands each provision of this subchapter that creates an offense under the laws of this state and each provision of the laws of this state related to use of deadly force;
and
So, I find the best method is to keep rolling and just keep control and not let the students get into asking a lot of hypotehitical scenarios.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I find Chapter 9 to be my favorite part of the class. And, I enjoy the discussion. So much so, that I save it for the end of the day, so we end on a high note.

I think it is THE most important part of the class. What are you teaching that is better than that? Cause, if you say "non violent dispute resolution" - I wanna visit your class to see how you make THAT interesting!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Crossfire wrote:I find Chapter 9 to be my favorite part of the class. And, I enjoy the discussion. So much so, that I save it for the end of the day, so we end on a high note.

I think it is THE most important part of the class. What are you teaching that is better than that? Cause, if you say "non violent dispute resolution" - I wanna visit your class to see how you make THAT interesting!
:iagree: 100%
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

superchief wrote:I have found in my classes that I spend a lot of time answering questions about the laws on deadly force that don't really apply to carrying a concealed handgun (protection of property, theft, etc). Do we have to teach all the laws on deadly force or can we concentrate on the parts that deal with situations students will encounter with their concealed handgun. After doing this a while, I'm getting tired of all the "what if" questions that deal with home invasions, burglary and other situations that are "generic" in nature. Regular citizens (non-chls) don't have to have any training to keep a gun in the home. Why burden myself with training that doesn't apply to chl situations?
I charge $5 each to answer "what if" questions. I rarely have anyone pony up $5 to ask a question. I am more than happy to answer any questions regarding the penal code, however they can not be posed in the form of hypothetical scenarios of fantasy.

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

I agree with Crossfire and that's the way I teach the class on chapter nine to end on a high note.

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

Crossfire wrote:I find Chapter 9 to be my favorite part of the class. And, I enjoy the discussion. So much so, that I save it for the end of the day, so we end on a high note.

I agree!!! :tiphat:

I disect every sentence, and WELCOME the what ifs. It is what they want and NEED to know. Most people have learned to survive by the use of basic Non'violent dispute resolution.

The what ifs keep me thinking and the wild scenarios keep us all on our toes. Every class I add new scenarios taken from the News. Makes it relevant, and keeps it fresh for me. I even include our discussions here, and invite students to join us. :coolgleamA:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

bkj

Post by bkj »

I inform the class upfront that I will not take “what if” questions.
1, I am not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice.
2, Going down this road we will be here all night.
"When seconds count the police are minutes away" Nikki Goeser

“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority…They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.” Noah Webster

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

:iagree: My favorite part and non-violent dispute resolution the worst. I read or quote each section then explain it and give examples or better yet a true story that ties in with that section and I like the discussion.
I never feel like I lose control.
ps -I never get tired of teaching this class, I love doing it.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

Agree with you 100%.
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Hmmm...dunno what I am doing/not doing differently... but people frequently tell me they enjoyed the non-violent dispute resolution portion of the class. Like yesterday one fellow commented that it was probably the most useful and practical portion. Go figure!
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Instructors' Corner”