Class Instruction

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
gregthehand
Posts in topic: 2

Class Instruction

Post by gregthehand »

As was mentioned in the previous thread I am looking at going after my instructor certification, so I wanted to know about setting up the actual class. Where can I get a passport photo camera? Should I just leave that up to the attendees? Do I need to take any special class or get certidied to do fingerprints? How hard is it to get hooked up with a place to teach, and how hard is it to get a range certified to do the shooting portion on? Does anyone know of someone in the Bryan/College Station area that would be willing to let someone sit in, or help with their classes until they learn how to do them for themselves?
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Topic author
gregthehand
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gregthehand »

Nobody knows huh?
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Class Instruction

Post by Crossfire »

Greg,

CHL instructors are notorious for not helping out newbies. You know, it's that territorital thing. I am not in College Station area, but I will try to help you out with what has worked for me.
gregthehand wrote:As was mentioned in the previous thread I am looking at going after my instructor certification, so I wanted to know about setting up the actual class. Where can I get a passport photo camera? Should I just leave that up to the attendees?
You can find a passport photo camera, but they are quite expensive. EBay is a good place to look.

I just use a good quality digital camera and Epson photo printer. I can print 2 passport size photos on 1 4X6 inch photo sheet, and they look great. The cost is about .30 cents a sheet. Film for the Polaroid passprt cameras costs about $1 a shot.
Do I need to take any special class or get certidied to do fingerprints?
It is REAL hard to get a law enforcement agency to certify you to do prints, which is what the DPS requires. They don't seem to be very cooperative with that if you are not emplyed by them. I paid a local LEO to come do prints for me until I got certified by the Utah DPS, when I got my Utah instructors license. Texas DPS happily accepts the Utah certification for prints. BTW, Utah will train and certify ANYONE to take fingerprints, and the class costs nothing. You just have to pay to get yourself to Salt Lake City.
How hard is it to get hooked up with a place to teach, and how hard is it to get a range certified to do the shooting portion on?
Don't know for you. Just start asking around at your local shooting ranges. Most public ranges are already DPS certified.

And if they aren't, then you, as a CHL instructor, have the authority to certify them. Download the form from the DPS website.
Does anyone know of someone in the Bryan/College Station area that would be willing to let someone sit in, or help with their classes until they learn how to do them for themselves?
Nope, but if you want to come to Ft Worth, I am happy to let you sit in on one of my classes. Just PM me if you are interested.

Good luck to you! Getting started is a little tough, but definitely worth it. You will make more new friends than you ever thought possible.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Lady honcho in charge of fingerprints at DPS told me last year that they hope to eventually get to the point that the FAST folks (who are doing the electronic fingerprinting) may also take and submit photos electronically.

And yes, the passport photo cameras and film are rather pricey. Bought one in '95 - and would gladly sell it if and when the other folks get their electronic act(s) together.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

switch

A new instructor

Post by switch »

Sorry I took so long to reply. I have not visited in awhile.

I am in the DFW area and you are welcome to visit any of my classes.

I have traveled and conducted classes around the state. DPS has a list of approved ranges and contact numbers/addresses. I beleive a lot of that information is outdated. I had a hard time getting hold of some ranges. On the other hand, most ranges will let you qualify your students (they may charge extra :cry: . They may require you have insurance.

My local police would not ceritfy me to do fingerprints. The sheriff asked for a written request and wanted to run it by the DA (never heard back from them). I had good luck with the local constable. They are elected. ;-) And there are several, so keep checking if the first turns you down. All you need is a letter. They do not have to give you a class.

If you have any other questions, post or contact me direct.

match308

Pictures

Post by match308 »

Could'nt you just have the student acquire photos at a Walgreen's,etc. and bring them to the class?

lrb111

Re: Pictures

Post by lrb111 »

match308 wrote:Could'nt you just have the student acquire photos at a Walgreen's,etc. and bring them to the class?
That's a real normal thing to do, and happens a lot. For one thing many of the Walgreen's can do the photos after normal work hours and they are fast enough. Get the photos done, go eat, then pickup the prints.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Here's the lowdown on "digital": All prints from Wal Mart, Walgreen's, or any other quick service provider, are digital. That is, they're computerized prints.

Oh, they're more specialized printers, but it's still computerized.

Kevin

Return to “Instructors' Corner”