God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: No Need For NRA Certfication? Here's What The Auditor Sa

Post by Keith B »

I also think it is a plus for any CHL instructor to be a NRA Instructor and even Range Officer as well. The trianing and informaiton you receive in the classes is benificial if you have never had other formal training in these areas. And as Crossfire stated it allows you to provide additional services to your students.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Folks, I'm not playing it close to the vest; I don't have a final answer. As soon as I do, I'll post it here. I hope there is a way to avoid forcing current CHL instructors to get NRA, TCLEOSE or "other" credentials, but my strong recommendation is still to get NRA certified, if you do not want a break in your CHL Instructor certification. Don't take this as a hint that it will be required -- it's not. I'm just being cautious.

Chas.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I am registered. Waiting my turn. Folks these classes are full fast.
I am not waiting & hoping while I wait. I dont like it & dont think it fair to not be GrandFathered in.

But then who ever said life is fair. So buckle up & get it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by RossA »

My instructors license doesn't expire until the end of this year. I can afford to wait a couple of more months to see what the Legislature does. If I can save almost $300 in fees and an entire weekend worth of time it will be worth it.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 8

Post by sjfcontrol »

RossA wrote:My instructors license doesn't expire until the end of this year. I can afford to wait a couple of more months to see what the Legislature does. If I can save almost $300 in fees and an entire weekend worth of time it will be worth it.
Everybody's instructor cert (that didn't get it this year) expires on December 31, 2013.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Folks, I just got off the phone with DPS and was told by the technician answering the phone that ALL new instructors must either be TCLEOSE, NRA or otherwise certified as a firearms instructor to renew my instructor certification. The person with whom I spoke only gave me the name Rebecca and says this change happened some time ago and should have been announced in the instructor's section of the website but, the latest update I see there is the announcement we all got in the mail about electronic fingerprinting and the new application system way back in 2010. Hopefully Chas get's a final answer soon but, in the meantime, I'll start the ball rolling on the NRA ticket I've been meaning to complete for some time.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by RossA »

G.C.Montgomery wrote:Folks, I just got off the phone with DPS and was told by the technician answering the phone that ALL new instructors must either be TCLEOSE, NRA or otherwise certified as a firearms instructor to renew my instructor certification.
Two things here:
1. Maybe it's just me who doesn't understand this, but G.C. you say that you were told that all NEW instructors must have another certification in order to RENEW. But by definition, a NEW instructor is getting his first license, he is NOT renewing it.

2. This is yet more in the "he said, she said" of this situation. A lot of people here (including myself) have spoken to SOMEONE at the DPS, and NO ONE there seems to have the answer since we all are told something different.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

RossA wrote:2. This is yet more in the "he said, she said" of this situation. A lot of people here (including myself) have spoken to SOMEONE at the DPS, and NO ONE there seems to have the answer since we all are told something different.
Bingo! Wait and see, folks. Just wait and see.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

Who ever said granfathering in was off base I was made a great-grandfater October 2010.

AND I have ghad my Instructors License Since Aug 85' so All of us should be great-grandfatherd.

We do know what were doing and have been doing it since 95' .. How long is that/// about 18 years thank you.
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

hit the wrong key shoul be 95'
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

RossA wrote:
G.C.Montgomery wrote:Folks, I just got off the phone with DPS and was told by the technician answering the phone that ALL new instructors must either be TCLEOSE, NRA or otherwise certified as a firearms instructor to renew my instructor certification.
Two things here:
1. Maybe it's just me who doesn't understand this, but G.C. you say that you were told that all NEW instructors must have another certification in order to RENEW. But by definition, a NEW instructor is getting his first license, he is NOT renewing it.

2. This is yet more in the "he said, she said" of this situation. A lot of people here (including myself) have spoken to SOMEONE at the DPS, and NO ONE there seems to have the answer since we all are told something different.
I should have edited that post but, then I saw a squirrel. I told her I was a current CHL instructor looking to renew my certification and asked specifically if my current certification as a CHL instructor would suffice. She specifically said 'no' and went on to say that all new instructor applicants AND those of us renewing our CHL Instructor certification would have to have TCLEOSE, NRA or other certification first. In fact, she really only gave me three option, with the third being that I needed to be certified to teach security guards under Ch 1702 of the Occupation Code. She claimed it was a long standing policy and that it had been announced on the instructors' section of the website. At the time that I looked, the last update on the website was the same letter we all got back in 2010/2011 about the new website and electronic fingerprints. The only name she gave me was Rebecca and claimed no supervisor was available to discuss it further. I agree however that it is all hearsay until we get an official statement from DPS but, that doesn't seem to be forthcoming and I've now had four fellow instructors call since my post who got the same answers I did. I've had the intention of getting the NRA Pistol instructor certification for sometime and so I'm moving forward with that either way. However, I think DPS needs to be held accountable if they are going to change a policy like this without notice.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

:iagree: w/ G.C. Montgomery.

BTW sir I have missed you & hope you are a LOT more visible in the near future.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Missed all of you as well but, I've been tied up with one thing or another for a couple years. Will certainly strive to be more active going forward. Someone posted a new thread about an email I guess we all got from DPS. All I can say is what a waste of time. It doesn't clear anything up as the RSD isn't likely to change its requirements in September because there won't' be enough time to deal with it at that point. As I mentioned before, I'm just going to move forward with the NRA certification. I just have to clear my schedule and get my company to stop using the mushroom farmer's school of management.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

howdy

Post by howdy »

G.C.Montgomery wrote:Missed all of you as well but, I've been tied up with one thing or another for a couple years. Will certainly strive to be more active going forward. Someone posted a new thread about an email I guess we all got from DPS. All I can say is what a waste of time. It doesn't clear anything up as the RSD isn't likely to change its requirements in September because there won't' be enough time to deal with it at that point. As I mentioned before, I'm just going to move forward with the NRA certification. I just have to clear my schedule and get my company to stop using the mushroom farmer's school of management.

Would that be "kept in the dark and fed manure"
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “Instructors' Corner”