Renewal student ALREADY had new license BEFORE my class!

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
lancermit
Posts in topic: 1

Renewal student ALREADY had new license BEFORE my class!

Post by lancermit »

I had a small class last weekend, with three renewal students among the others. When it came time to go over the paperwork, and discuss what to send in, etc., ONE student showed me that he had ALREADY received his new license, BEFORE even taking a renewal class!

Sure enough, his license showed that it would expire in 2018 on his birthday. He said that he had NOT already taken a "renewal" (4-6 hour) class. That's why he was in MY class that day. He filled out his online renewal application about 4-6 weeks ago, and even received the barcoded checklist indicating that he needed to send in the CHL-100. I told him to go ahead and send everything in as usual, just to cover him; but, What the heck?!

Anyone have any insight on this?
“You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.” -Al Capone

http://www.lonestarguntraining.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Renewal student ALREADY had new license BEFORE my class!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've had that happen two or three times, but each student cancelled their class. I've never had someone attend the class anyway.
This was his 3rd or later renewal, so DPS processed his application without the CHL-100.

Chas.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I recently renewed online, as a veteran, for the third time, which (I alreadly knew) meant I did not need a class.

The bar-coded check list that printed out noted that I needed to send in a form (I guess it was the CHL-100) and proof of my veteran status, unless they already had it on file. Obviously this barcoded checklist was generated without checking which renewal I was on or if my DD-214 was still on file.

I had a quick email exchange with a couple of the DPS ladies (who were very prompt and courteous!); they quickly verified I did not by law need a renewal class and my DD-214 was still on file with them. A couple days later I checked the online status for my application, and it showed that all the requirements had been met, and my background check was in progress. My license arrived in the mail just a bit over two weeks after my initial online application.

I suspect, as Mr. Cotton noted, that your student did not by law need the renewal class and did not need it, and apparently did not realize it. I'll bet if he had checked his status online a few days after he initiated the process, he would have seen that.
USAF 1982-2005

switch

Post by switch »

The checklist (page w/bar code) all say you need a CHL-100. However, the fine print says if this is your third renewal, you do not need a CHL-100. If you are not sure, 2nd, 2rd, 10th renewal, you have to call/email DPS.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”