No Renewal Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
sharps1874
Posts in topic: 1

No Renewal Class

Post by sharps1874 »

Now that we have no renewal classes,I figured I'd get a chance to take a nap ,now and then.Every time I doze off,the phone rings with someone wanting a renewal class.Sometimes I feel like signing them up for one and let them figure it out after they pay.

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Re: No Renewal Class

Post by AEA »

sharps1874 wrote:Now that we have no renewal classes,I figured I'd get a chance to take a nap ,now and then.Every time I doze off,the phone rings with someone wanting a renewal class.Sometimes I feel like signing them up for one and let them figure it out after they pay.
Interesting Business Plan. :banghead:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AEA wrote:
sharps1874 wrote:Now that we have no renewal classes,I figured I'd get a chance to take a nap ,now and then.Every time I doze off,the phone rings with someone wanting a renewal class.Sometimes I feel like signing them up for one and let them figure it out after they pay.
Interesting Business Plan. :banghead:
Interesting first post. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 11

Post by wgoforth »

Agree...interesting first post. That being said, I have put it in local radio, newspaper and facebook NO renewal classes. So I get calls FROM those spots asking for a renewal class. Tempted to do one as a "Stupid Tax." :lol:
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

Maybe it's just me... I see a business opportunity for offering a refresher class.
Reminding me how to de-escalate, new changes in the laws, and anecdotes from a reputable instructor would be worth 4-5 hours and $100.
Range time would be good too.
My two cents,
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Diesel42 wrote:Maybe it's just me... I see a business opportunity for offering a refresher class.
Reminding me how to de-escalate, new changes in the laws, and anecdotes from a reputable instructor would be worth 4-5 hours and $100.
Range time would be good too.
My two cents,
Nick
Unfortunately, most would not take ANY class if not required. When I first began doing CHL classes, when folks would call saying they had never held a gun before, I would tell them to take my Basic Handgun class first, as CHL was to test them on their handgun use, not teach them. Not only would they not, but went to a different instructor. Now, I offer a BEYOND CHL class and tell the CHL students they really don't know what they need by just taking a CHL class for $55. Hardly any accept. While I agree with your suggestion, and worth a try, existing classes would really provide such.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

wgoforth wrote:Unfortunately, most would not take ANY class if not required.
I think the requirement to take a class at all is unfortunate.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

jmra wrote:
I see pro's and con's, and do sympathize with the "Constitution is my CHL..." but what I see in classes regularly makes me see the need. Even those who came in for renewals would usually have a great deal of misunderstanding/misinformation. Esp about where they can and can't carry, signage, etc.
NRA Life Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

wgoforth wrote:
jmra wrote:
I see pro's and con's, and do sympathize with the "Constitution is my CHL..." but what I see in classes regularly makes me see the need. Even those who came in for renewals would usually have a great deal of misunderstanding/misinformation. Esp about where they can and can't carry, signage, etc.
And I think they are using the class as a crutch. I am a firm believer in personal responsibility. If you want a class, great. If you don't, that should be your option.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasCajun »

I'm starting to see instructors around here (Houston area) offer refresher courses at about half the cost of the chl class.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

TexasCajun wrote:I'm starting to see instructors around here (Houston area) offer refresher courses at about half the cost of the chl class.
I'd be interested to see how it goes. Most instructors I know will let folks audit for free anyway. I had always said when people come up for that 3rd renewal that doesn't require a class, come anyway and sit in. Hate to start charging for what I've always done for free...and most other instructors I know.
NRA Life Member

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasCajun »

wgoforth wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:I'm starting to see instructors around here (Houston area) offer refresher courses at about half the cost of the chl class.
I'd be interested to see how it goes. Most instructors I know will let folks audit for free anyway. I had always said when people come up for that 3rd renewal that doesn't require a class, come anyway and sit in. Hate to start charging for what I've always done for free...and most other instructors I know.
From what I can tell, they are being offered as a way to learn about recent changes in chl laws. Even though my license doesn't expire until 2017, I plan on taking one of these refreshers next spring, and then another one after the 2015 legislative session. I'm not sure what to tell you about charging for something that you used to do for free. But I think this would bego over better than charging someone for a renewal class that isn't required anymore <reference the 'stupid tax' mentioned earlier>.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

TexasCajun wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
From what I can tell, they are being offered as a way to learn about recent changes in chl laws. Even though my license doesn't expire until 2017, I plan on taking one of these refreshers next spring, and then another one after the 2015 legislative session. I'm not sure what to tell you about charging for something that you used to do for free. But I think this would bego over better than charging someone for a renewal class that isn't required anymore <reference the 'stupid tax' mentioned earlier>.
I was being facetious about that, said I was "tempted to." The reason for many instructors recommending auditing is to get the updates. I would certainly suggest you do so, but rather than pay, ask your last instructor if you could audit.
NRA Life Member

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

jmra wrote:
:iagree: But....there are people that have no idea how a handgun works, which end the bullet comes out, etc.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

jmra

Post by jmra »

AEA wrote:
jmra wrote:
:iagree: But....there are people that have no idea how a handgun works, which end the bullet comes out, etc.
And it's perfectly legal for them to drive all over the state with it in their car without taking a class. No blood running in the streets from MPA last time I checked.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”