CHL Instructor Renewal

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL Instructor Renewal

Post by troglodyte »

howdy wrote: This has to be a major pain for people with a full time job. This could be really expensive for a Physician, Lawyer, CPA, AC repairman, etc. that schedules appointments during the day. I guess you leave your calendar open that day and hope for the best.
Exactly!

I work a more than full-time job and need to schedule my "vacation" days well in advance. I have sent in my paperwork and have emailed the DPS but have not heard anything back. I do hope they find a way to do a class in the Panhandle. A trip even to DFW is going to burn up at least two days, if not three. Airfare or gas, hotel for a night or two, food all starts adding up plus using vacation time.

I don't have a peaceful easy feeling about all of this.

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RossA »

I am one of those lawyers who will need to schedule a day off to take the class. IF they ever tell me when and where to take it. Repeated emails avail me nothing.
Austin----is anyone listening?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Topic author
switch
Posts in topic: 4

Post by switch »

I suspect it will take the entire day. I'm just glad I don't have to drive to Georgetown - and back. :)

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

RossA wrote:I am one of those lawyers who will need to schedule a day off to take the class. IF they ever tell me when and where to take it. Repeated emails avail me nothing.
Austin----is anyone listening?
I'm in the same boat...I cannot book flights because I don't know when I have to be there and when I can possibly get to an airport to get out. And which airport would be closer to the site?

Unbelievable mess....I cannot believe they subject the people they rely on to make the program work to this...

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I have said for quite some time that I think there is a plan to lower the number of instructors, and therefore the number of handgun carriers. If I was going to do that, this is exactly how I would make it happen.

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

RossA wrote:I have said for quite some time that I think there is a plan to lower the number of instructors, and therefore the number of handgun carriers. If I was going to do that, this is exactly how I would make it happen.
Did the El Paso class actually happen? Anyone?

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

Luggo1 wrote:Did the El Paso class actually happen? Anyone?
I wrote to some instructors in the El Paso area to see if these classes ever happened. Here's a reply I received this morning:
There were two classes last week, one on the 2nd and another on the 3rd... DPS Austin has a schedule going in different cities throughout the state and notifying us via E-mail when and where we are scheduled to attend... partner and I attended... still required to Qualify with both Revolver and SA ...
So at least we know those actually happened. Now, if only DPS would share a little more about plans in DFW.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

txtaxman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txtaxman »

On Sep 14th DPS' CHL Unit notified me by email of Instructor Renewal classes in El Paso, Houston, and Georgetown. DFW would be better for me but to speed things up, I requested a spot in the Nov 6th Instructor Renewal Class in Georgetown. So far I have received no response to my email.

Has anyone received a confirmation for Houston or Georgetown?
Lamar County

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

dogflight wrote:
Luggo1 wrote:Did the El Paso class actually happen? Anyone?
I wrote to some instructors in the El Paso area to see if these classes ever happened. Here's a reply I received this morning:
There were two classes last week, one on the 2nd and another on the 3rd... DPS Austin has a schedule going in different cities throughout the state and notifying us via E-mail when and where we are scheduled to attend... partner and I attended... still required to Qualify with both Revolver and SA ...
So at least we know those actually happened. Now, if only DPS would share a little more about plans in DFW.
Did they tell you that you had to qualify with them, or with just any other instructor?
As I understand it from this site, any instructor can supervise another instructor's qualification.

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

txtaxman wrote:On Sep 14th DPS' CHL Unit notified me by email of Instructor Renewal classes in El Paso, Houston, and Georgetown. DFW would be better for me but to speed things up, I requested a spot in the Nov 6th Instructor Renewal Class in Georgetown. So far I have received no response to my email.

Has anyone received a confirmation for Houston or Georgetown?
I received a generic one for Houston with no details.

Topic author
switch
Posts in topic: 4

Post by switch »

Sherry, w/DPS, at the conference in Houston said we would NOT be shooting at the DPS range. We'd have to qualify w/fellow instructors. No word on when we should. Now? or wait until after we have had a renewal class by/w/DPS? I'm going ahead next week. I haven't decided if/when I will send it in. Might take it to the renewal class in DFW - whenever/wherever that will be.

I wish the contact from El Paso had provided more detail - how long did the renewal class last?

Return to “Instructors' Corner”