7 of 13 revolvers

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 7 of 13 revolvers

Post by RossA »

So if a person qualifies with a 5 shot revolver, he has to load 4, then 4 more, then 2 more?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

RossA wrote:So if a person qualifies with a 5 shot revolver, he has to load 4, then 4 more, then 2 more?
Yes, and if you take a 5-shot revolver to the DPS range, you'll be the target of grief from the troopers, as they have to change their sequences to accommodate you.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

dogflight
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dogflight »

Some revolvers (like my 38 spec) hold only 5 rounds.

When we did the course of fire for initial instructor training at the DPS range, they accommodated for that by modifying the loading calls. Was it as simple as "load 4", 'load 4", and "load 2"? Seems like it was a bit more clever than that.

Anyone remember?
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

sjfcontrol wrote:
RossA wrote:So if a person qualifies with a 5 shot revolver, he has to load 4, then 4 more, then 2 more?
Yes, and if you take a 5-shot revolver to the DPS range, you'll be the target of grief from the troopers, as they have to change their sequences to accommodate you.
Actually, No.. They did not give any grief at all, Not a lot of joking or unprofessional behavior at their range.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

In thinking back on it, I have shot with 5-shot revolvers 7 times at DPS renewal schools and never been given any grief about it. The ribbing, if any, was usually reserved for the guys who needed to shoot with their hand cannons in order to qualify. ;-)
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

dogflight wrote:Some revolvers (like my 38 spec) hold only 5 rounds.

When we did the course of fire for initial instructor training at the DPS range, they accommodated for that by modifying the loading calls. Was it as simple as "load 4", 'load 4", and "load 2"? Seems like it was a bit more clever than that.

Anyone remember?
It was really that simple, though I think it was 4, 2, 4 because the six shooters loaded 6 then 4.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

TheJayMan

Post by TheJayMan »

I had two out of five students use revolvers in a class this past Wednesday. Those were the first two I have ever had.

Jay
Jay
Certified CHL Instructor
NRA Life Member

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

I wonder if the bad guys will now be as accommodating to people carrying five shot revolvers.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Must be nice, only having to shoot one gun with a "minimum" caliber instead of two with a "maximum."

My wife and I took the NM CHL class. We have not only "action type" restrictions, but also cannot carry anything larger than what we qualified with. IE, if you shoot with a .38 revolver, you can only carry revolvers up to .38/.357 diameter. If you want to carry either revolver or semi, you have to shoot with both, and if you ever want to carry a .45, you have to shoot with .45 (or larger). I was semi-seriously tempted to show up with a Desert Eagle .50 and a S&W .500 borrowed from friends! :biggrinjester:

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

JSThane wrote:Must be nice, only having to shoot one gun with a "minimum" caliber instead of two with a "maximum."

My wife and I took the NM CHL class. We have not only "action type" restrictions, but also cannot carry anything larger than what we qualified with. IE, if you shoot with a .38 revolver, you can only carry revolvers up to .38/.357 diameter. If you want to carry either revolver or semi, you have to shoot with both, and if you ever want to carry a .45, you have to shoot with .45 (or larger). I was semi-seriously tempted to show up with a Desert Eagle .50 and a S&W .500 borrowed from friends! :biggrinjester:
So if you qualify with a 9mm, you can carry a Draco (7.62mm)?
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Many instructors had told me the new law wouldn't change anything as NO ONE qualifies with a revolver.... well I don't know what it is about my area (Brownwood) but folks here love their revolvers. Even prior to this change, I would always have a couple want to use a wheelie... I was able to talk them into using one of my loaner semi's so they could carry either, but yeah..they already were. Now with the law change, I am seeing even more. That being said, consistently the ladies who brought a revolver because their husband or gun shop told them it would be easier? Yeah, I would see then shooting all over the target at the 3 yard. I suggest to them to try the semi and if they don't like it, they can go back to the revolver..and they always end up preferring the semi. I never have figured out how a harder trigger, less rounds, slower to reload makes it a "ladies gun."
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

sjfcontrol wrote:
No? None at all. Though I had a 6, when it came time for revolver shooting, they based it on assumption of 5.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

wgoforth wrote:Many instructors had told me the new law wouldn't change anything as NO ONE qualifies with a revolver.... well I don't know what it is about my area (Brownwood) but folks here love their revolvers. Even prior to this change, I would always have a couple want to use a wheelie... I was able to talk them into using one of my loaner semi's so they could carry either, but yeah..they already were. Now with the law change, I am seeing even more. That being said, consistently the ladies who brought a revolver because their husband or gun shop told them it would be easier? Yeah, I would see then shooting all over the target at the 3 yard. I suggest to them to try the semi and if they don't like it, they can go back to the revolver..and they always end up preferring the semi. I never have figured out how a harder trigger, less rounds, slower to reload makes it a "ladies gun."
Hmmm… You allow them to change guns in the middle of the proficiency test? That feels like something that wouldn't be allowed, though I know of no rules against it.
Never Forget. Image

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

wgoforth wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
No? None at all. Though I had a 6, when it came time for revolver shooting, they based it on assumption of 5.
Perhaps they had somebody else there with a 5-shot, or maybe they've changed their load procedures to accommodate. But that's what I remember from when I shot there. I have slept since then… :mrgreen:
Never Forget. Image

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

sjfcontrol wrote:
wgoforth wrote:Many instructors had told me the new law wouldn't change anything as NO ONE qualifies with a revolver.... well I don't know what it is about my area (Brownwood) but folks here love their revolvers. Even prior to this change, I would always have a couple want to use a wheelie... I was able to talk them into using one of my loaner semi's so they could carry either, but yeah..they already were. Now with the law change, I am seeing even more. That being said, consistently the ladies who brought a revolver because their husband or gun shop told them it would be easier? Yeah, I would see then shooting all over the target at the 3 yard. I suggest to them to try the semi and if they don't like it, they can go back to the revolver..and they always end up preferring the semi. I never have figured out how a harder trigger, less rounds, slower to reload makes it a "ladies gun."
Hmmm… You allow them to change guns in the middle of the proficiency test? That feels like something that wouldn't be allowed, though I know of no rules against it.
As you say, no rule that I know against it.... if they qualify with the semi, they can carry either. If they wanted to go back to qualify with revolver, they just need to reshoot those rounds. I have never had any that went back to the revolver once I had them to try the semi. I'm assuming you or others let them switch semi's in mid stream? ie, gun failure? There have been some who's gun jammed every other round and I made them use a loaner.
NRA Life Member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”