A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

JSThane
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 7 of 13 revolvers

Post by JSThane »

MasterOfNone wrote:
JSThane wrote:Must be nice, only having to shoot one gun with a "minimum" caliber instead of two with a "maximum."

My wife and I took the NM CHL class. We have not only "action type" restrictions, but also cannot carry anything larger than what we qualified with. IE, if you shoot with a .38 revolver, you can only carry revolvers up to .38/.357 diameter. If you want to carry either revolver or semi, you have to shoot with both, and if you ever want to carry a .45, you have to shoot with .45 (or larger). I was semi-seriously tempted to show up with a Desert Eagle .50 and a S&W .500 borrowed from friends! :biggrinjester:
So if you qualify with a 9mm, you can carry a Draco (7.62mm)?
Or an AR-10 pistol, or an AK pistol, etc, yes, as it's based only on bullet size. Qualify with a .45 Colt, and I believe you're able to carry a .460 S&W, as they're identical diameter bullets. Qualify with a .50 AE, and carry a single-shot .50 BMG pistol (if you can conceal if of course!).

goheeled
Posts in topic: 1

Post by goheeled »

RossA wrote:OK, I have a question if someone shows up to take the test with a revolver, or for that matter with an auto that holds fewer than 10 rounds.
The required course of fire at 3 yards says:
B.Ten shots(10)fired in a “Two Shot Exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each two shot sequence

This means that a gun has to hold at least 10 rounds in order to fire five consecutive two shot strings.
How do you get around that?
:roll:

Rod Townsend
Go Heeled Firearms Training
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Training Counselor & Chief Range Safety Officer

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 4

Post by wgoforth »

RossA wrote:OK, I have a question if someone shows up to take the test with a revolver, or for that matter with an auto that holds fewer than 10 rounds.
B.Ten shots(10)fired in a “Two Shot Exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each two shot sequence

This means that a gun has to hold at least 10 rounds in order to fire five consecutive two shot strings.
The same way they do in instructor school? Don't think I've seen a 10 shot revolver...
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmra

Post by jmra »

wgoforth wrote:

The same way they do in instructor school? Don't think I've seen a 10 shot revolver...
http://www.horstheld.com/0-Spain.htm :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

RossA wrote:This means that a gun has to hold at least 10 rounds in order to fire five consecutive two shot strings.
I got around it by reloading between strings. There's plenty of time for competent shooters to manage ammo.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

Less than .32 caliber. :mrgreen:
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Trilogy

Post by Trilogy »

I have not had anyone use a revolver during 2013 with the exception of my last class. I had only one lady bring her snub-nose .38. She shot terribly with it and I offered to let her use one of my semi automatics. She tried a couple and shot much better in practice but then went back to her .38 for the actual qualification...she didn't want to use a different gun than her husband recommended. She ended up passing but could have done much better with a semi.
Trilogy
CHL Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

Return to “Instructors' Corner”