Aggravated at lack of instructor renewal classes

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
steven8669
Posts in topic: 4

Aggravated at lack of instructor renewal classes

Post by steven8669 »

I completed my NRA certification in mid-December and sent in all the paperwork. The first renewal class opening they had was Feb 3rd in Georgetown. When I left Abilene on Feb 2, The roads were extremely icy so I had to turn around and could not make the class. I immediately sent them an email telling them it was unsafe to drive and I would miss the class. They rescheduled me for a class on APRIL 21st. They told me that this was the first available class. This is extremely frustrating to me as I will lose 5 months of income because of an unfortunate incident on 1 day.

I know I should have probably started the renewal process sooner than mid-December but I had no idea this was a possibility. Thanks for letting me vent!

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Aggravated at lack of instructor renewal classes

Post by jmra »

Aren't there a lot more classes available now than there used to be?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

pancho
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pancho »

It's ridiculous you had to wait two months before they could get you in that first class and now it's another two months because you were a no show during bad weather. That's too long considering what classes cost.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

pancho wrote:It's ridiculous you had to wait two months before they could get you in that first class and now it's another two months because you were a no show during bad weather. That's too long considering what classes cost.
I have to disagree. Seats are limited, and we all knew we were expiring.

Sometimes stuff just happens.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

goheeled

Post by goheeled »

Agreed... at least six months ahead of time.

Rod Townsend
Go Heeled Firearms Training
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Training Counselor & Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
steven8669

Post by steven8669 »

I would have started sooner to renew but the law didn't change til September. If I would have renewed with another instructor, the way it used to be, I would have had to do it twice. Plus it seemed like the requirement to get the NRA certification was up in the air for awhile, so I waited til it was for sure to knock it out. I guess I'm just frustrated with the whole process. They never even sent me an email about renewing, I have to get all my info from this website. They pay no attention to me for two years, never passing me updates, like when the requirement for the CHL-6 and photos went away. I read that on here and then just implemented it to see if it was true. How hard would it be to get an email listserv and send updates like this to us real-time? Then they make me head down to Georgetown for a whole day, to give me no new information. Why do we need to go to this renewal class? Is there some new information out there? If so, email it to me via a powerpoint presentation.

It just doesn't seem right that I have to wait until APRIL 21st to get access to a class. I have spent almost $400 already on the renewal process, including NRA certification, not including gas, hotel, finding another instructor to shoot with and paying him, and taking off of work. Then they cost me thousands more by giving me a class date so far off. I have calls and emails every single day asking when my next class is, which I will have to answer for the next 3 months or so. All of this begs the question of "Why do we even need to go down there? Is there any additional info they gave you in the class?" I have learned my lesson to take the first class they offer and don't assume there will be more. Thanks again for letting me vent.

Topic author
steven8669

Post by steven8669 »

superchief wrote:you might see when the next classes are and consider going "standby". I don't know if that is allowed, but there were 3 people that were registered in my class that didn't show up (Nov in G-town.
Good idea, I will email them now and ask them about that option. Thanks!

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

There had been talk nearly a year ago of needing NRA, TECLOSE, or other certification. A lot of instructors proactively got NRA certification. Then there were the instructors who put it off till the last minute. :headscratch Just sayin'.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
steven8669

Post by steven8669 »

MoJo wrote:There had been talk nearly a year ago of needing NRA, TECLOSE, or other certification. A lot of instructors proactively got NRA certification. Then there were the instructors who put it off till the last minute. :headscratch Just sayin'.
Yes you are right, there had been talk of it. However I was not willing to spend $250 and two days of my life in the class based on rumors. If DPS would have proactively sent me an email telling me this was going to be required I would have done it sooner. This is my problem with the whole program. We should not have to get our information from an unofficial forum. They should email me or at the very least post updates regularly to the webpage.

It is almost like since we make some money off of this people think we should have to accept whatever they throw our way without complaint and just be fortunate that we get this opportunity. We have a right to ask for better service from them. We have invested a lot of money and effort into this program too. I think there is a lot of room for improvement and most of the fixes are quick and easy.

jmra

Post by jmra »

steven8669 wrote:
MoJo wrote:There had been talk nearly a year ago of needing NRA, TECLOSE, or other certification. A lot of instructors proactively got NRA certification. Then there were the instructors who put it off till the last minute. :headscratch Just sayin'.
Yes you are right, there had been talk of it. However I was not willing to spend $250 and two days of my life in the class based on rumors. If DPS would have proactively sent me an email telling me this was going to be required I would have done it sooner. This is my problem with the whole program. We should not have to get our information from an unofficial forum. They should email me or at the very least post updates regularly to the webpage.

It is almost like since we make some money off of this people think we should have to accept whatever they throw our way without complaint and just be fortunate that we get this opportunity. We have a right to ask for better service from them. We have invested a lot of money and effort into this program too. I think there is a lot of room for improvement and most of the fixes are quick and easy.
At least they haven't replaced you guys with an internet link...yet.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

prossound

Post by prossound »

I did not have a chance to take a class befor the 21st .so if you do end up taking that class say hi

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

steven8669 wrote:I would have started sooner to renew but the law didn't change til September. If I would have renewed with another instructor, the way it used to be, I would have had to do it twice. Plus it seemed like the requirement to get the NRA certification was up in the air for awhile, so I waited til it was for sure to knock it out. I guess I'm just frustrated with the whole process. They never even sent me an email about renewing, I have to get all my info from this website. They pay no attention to me for two years, never passing me updates, like when the requirement for the CHL-6 and photos went away. I read that on here and then just implemented it to see if it was true. How hard would it be to get an email listserv and send updates like this to us real-time? Then they make me head down to Georgetown for a whole day, to give me no new information. Why do we need to go to this renewal class? Is there some new information out there? If so, email it to me via a powerpoint presentation.

I don't understand that because I got a letter in the mail from DPS to renew my CHL about 8 months in advance of expiration.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

VMI77 wrote:
steven8669 wrote:I would have started sooner to renew but the law didn't change til September. If I would have renewed with another instructor, the way it used to be, I would have had to do it twice. Plus it seemed like the requirement to get the NRA certification was up in the air for awhile, so I waited til it was for sure to knock it out. I guess I'm just frustrated with the whole process. They never even sent me an email about renewing, I have to get all my info from this website. They pay no attention to me for two years, never passing me updates, like when the requirement for the CHL-6 and photos went away. I read that on here and then just implemented it to see if it was true. How hard would it be to get an email listserv and send updates like this to us real-time? Then they make me head down to Georgetown for a whole day, to give me no new information. Why do we need to go to this renewal class? Is there some new information out there? If so, email it to me via a powerpoint presentation.

I don't understand that because I got a letter in the mail from DPS to renew my CHL about 8 months in advance of expiration.

My Instructor cert expired Dec of 2013. In May of 2013 I received my notice.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

How long do the instructor certs last?
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”