planning to take chl instructor course

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
asbandr
Posts in topic: 1

planning to take chl instructor course

Post by asbandr »

Hello. I'm looking into becoming a chl instructor. Am I understanding correctly that I have to be an instructor before I can apply for the chl instructors course? Sometime next month I plan to take the course to become a basic pistol instructor and the owner of the gun range I will likely be teaching at has requested I get certified in chl instruction as well. I hadn't thought much about chl instruction, it was a thought for the future. I was wondering what to expect as far as time and cost. Are all of the classes held in austin? Thanks.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 2

Re: planning to take chl instructor course

Post by kg5ie »

I believe I can answer most of your questions. Yes, you must be a pistol instructor before you can be a CHL instructor. Most folks are taking the NRA route, but it is not the only possibility. Most NRA certifications are done as a package, NRA - BIT (Basic Instructor), Home Firearms Safety, Basic Pistol Instructor. The package takes two days and includes both classroom and range qualification. You'll need proof of your instructor qualification prior to being admitted to the CHL Instructor class.

The CHL class is held in, actually usually near, Austin. It depends on where they can find a facility to hold the class in. Mine was in Georgetown fairly close to the DPS training facility and gun range. It was 4 days of class, and one day of range qualification. I understand that they MAY have shortened it to 4 days total. I'm sure someone else will chime in that took it more recently than me. You must pass the classroom test and range qualification (225 of 250) with both a revolver and semi-automatic. You receive your cert at the range upon qualifying the last day and you can teach immediately. You'll have to create your own classroom curriculum using the DPS Guide provided. Cost is $100 DPS fee, plus your time, room, food, ammo, gas, etc.

Also suggest strongly you get liability insurance that covers you as an instructor. It is available through the NRA.

Good luck!

:tiphat:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To become a CHL instructor certified by DPS, you must meet all the eligibility criteria under the Texas Government Code, §411.172 and §411.190. This includes proof you certified to instruct others in the use of handguns (firearm instructor) as listed below:

Certified by Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) as a firearm instructor - supporting documentation includes a copy of your TCOLE firearm instructor certificate. (Must be a firearm instructor, basic instructor is not sufficient.)
Certified under the Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 1702, as a firearm instructor – supporting documentation includes a copy of the Private Security instructor registration.
Certified by NRA as a firearm instructor – supporting document includes a copy of certificate of training and a copy your unexpired NRA credentials. (Must be certified to instructor handgun/pistol)
Proof of graduation from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors. (Applicants under this section must regularly instruct others in the use of handguns.)
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Hello, I am also interested to become an CHL instructor. Can you tell me is there a specific instructor's course qualifies for instructor certification through the NRA?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Basic Pistol Instructor cert satisfies the state but you'll also need Basic Instructor Training to satisfy NRA requirements to get the pistol instructor cert. Normally the NRA instructors package BIT, Home Firearm Safety, and Basic Pistol. Two days to complete.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

TinaMiB

Post by TinaMiB »

I completed the CHL Instructor course about 7 months ago and it was four days, three days of classroom and one day for the range. The class instruction was held at a facility in Georgetown TX, and CHL proficiency demonstrations were held at the DPS training range in the Georgetown area. We were supposed to be the first class at DPS's new training facility outside Georgetown but the class building wasn't quite complete. The classroom building is at the same location as the DPS training range.

Tina

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Thank you for the info. They were very helpful. I heard that DPS only offer the instructor's class few times a year and there is a long waiting list. Does anyone have more current info on the scheduling for the class?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

TinaMiB

Post by TinaMiB »

BCGlocker wrote:Thank you for the info. They were very helpful. I heard that DPS only offer the instructor's class few times a year and there is a long waiting list. Does anyone have more current info on the scheduling for the class?
I signed up January 2014 and they gave me an option for a couple classes. I could gone to one in September 2014 that didn't work out with my employer's schedule. I ended up in a class offered in November. A friend that is currently waiting for her class later in the summer said she waited about 6 months.

Erick Drake
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Erick Drake »

I waited about 8 months before I was invited to attend. I attended the class last month. I know they have at least two others scheduled for later this year, but I would assume that those are possibly filled. Once you are in the queue, they will send you an email with the dates available. They ask you to RSVP to be put on the roster. The new facility in Florence, TX can only support up to about 100 people so they probably fill pretty quickly.

-Erick Drake
Ellington Arms
Founder - Ellington Arms
Texas DPS Certified LTC Instructor
NRA Certified Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Return to “Instructors' Corner”