Handgun Retention and Equipment

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

switch
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Handgun Retention and Equipment

Post by switch »

Additionally, I would like to know if there has been any discussion on "thigh rigs"? Technically, they do attach to a belt, but also to the thigh via straps. Considering the whole unit relies on a belt for attachment, does that qualify it as a "Belt Holster"?
That's up in the air. Many believe they are 'legal' but, ultimately, it will be up to the individual LEO. (DPS has said they are NOT belt holsters. I don't know if they are sticking to that definition. :( )

KHickam
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KHickam »

I guess you use your own discretion on this - but any open carried holster I have is Level II - and rely on training I received to maintain it (both LEO/CO) training and I realize some may not have that training - but really it is a matter of taking a class - and they are offered by most martial arts instructors - and don't cost an arm and a leg for a day class - and you really only need a few hours of instruction to get the techniques down - and then like most training it is up to you to keep it up.

I have a drop rig too - but only wear it when I am wearing a plate carrier or some other reason to have it on (maybe when I am doing a track with one of the dogs in training) but they are very hard to run in and have little application in the real world for most citizens.
"Be strong, be of good courage, God Bless America, Long live the Republic." SootchOO

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

I have asked a dozen cops about droplegs, all but one hassaid if they attach to a belt, then it is OK. the one outlier said he wasn't sure, he would have to ask a supervisor, but if the guy wasn't doing anything crazy, he would no go around arresting folks for little things like that.

I have OCed in a Safariland level III SLS/ALS combo, and I would not OC in town with anything less. I would do ALS only out in the sticks.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”