Day 3 of the Instructor's Course

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 2

Day 3 of the Instructor's Course

Post by BCGlocker »

I understand the first two days are all classroom work. On day 3, we do the qualification. I am trying to figure out if I need to book the hotel for the day 3 or not. Another CHL instructor who took the course one year ago told me that day 3 is a half-day and the instructors let people who has a long drive (like me from El Paso) to shoot first in order to get on the road. Can someone confirm this?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Day 3 of the Instructor's Course

Post by howdy »

THREE DAYS.....Back in my day, we had 12 weeks of morning inspections, then PT followed by the obstacle course, hand to hand training in the padded room, daily range time with multiple scenarios. We had oral and written tests along with simulated combat and one v one stuff. It was tough I tell ya.
The last day was a 4 hour written (90% to pass) and 4 hours on the range going through malfunction drills and shooting test. Do any of the other long time Instructors remember it this way?

To answer your question....I do not know :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Erick Drake

Post by Erick Drake »

Day 3 was just a half day for us. I was in the second shooting rotation and was on my way home by noon. I do not see any reason to book your hotel for the night following the range, unless you just really love the happening nightlife that is (not) Georgetown, TX.

You would probably be better off finding a hotel somewhere much closer to El Paso and getting as much driving done as you can, after finishing up at the range.

- Erick Drake
Founder - Ellington Arms
Texas DPS Certified LTC Instructor
NRA Certified Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Erick Drake wrote:Day 3 was just a half day for us. I was in the second shooting rotation and was on my way home by noon. I do not see any reason to book your hotel for the night following the range, unless you just really love the happening nightlife that is (not) Georgetown, TX.

You would probably be better off finding a hotel somewhere much closer to El Paso and getting as much driving done as you can, after finishing up at the range.

- Erick Drake
Thank you.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

So they have shortened the class? My class went Monday-Thursday and we shot on Friday.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

I would also like to know exactly how many days the DPS course is? I plan on taking my NRA Instructor course in February and then signing up for my Instructor's certification, but if it's really 5 week days I will have to wait for next year (don't have enough vacation days).
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

switch

Post by switch »

Initially, the course was 40 hours. However, if you were already an instructor, you only had to go 3 days - skip the part on how to teach. Most people just went all 5 days. Then, the DPS staff decided the law said you already had to be an instructor to attend the CHL instructor course so they did not need to cover 'how to teach'. Since everyone had to be an NRA instructor or a graduate of a recognized pistol school, no one needed 40 hours and it's only 3 days now.

Unfortunately, it's probably going to be next year before they schedule you for a class. :( If they schedule a class and you cannot get off, you can pass and catch the next one. There is no penalty for skipping a class. :)

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

switch wrote:Initially, the course was 40 hours. However, if you were already an instructor, you only had to go 3 days - skip the part on how to teach. Most people just went all 5 days. Then, the DPS staff decided the law said you already had to be an instructor to attend the CHL instructor course so they did not need to cover 'how to teach'. Since everyone had to be an NRA instructor or a graduate of a recognized pistol school, no one needed 40 hours and it's only 3 days now.

Unfortunately, it's probably going to be next year before they schedule you for a class. :( If they schedule a class and you cannot get off, you can pass and catch the next one. There is no penalty for skipping a class. :)
Much appreciated, I will sign up for the NRA class in February and get my paperwork in to become and LTC instructor shortly after (since it will probably be 2017 anyway). Thanks again.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”