LTC Course Hours Discrepancy?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
txtaxman
Posts in topic: 1

LTC Course Hours Discrepancy?

Post by txtaxman »

The new LTC Course Outline states that the course is designed for a Minimum of 4 hours and a Maximum of 6 hours. However, 30 minutes have been added to the approximate times of the Handgun Use and Safety Module to include the restraint holster information.

Adding the stated approximate minimum time allocated for the 4 modules equals 4 hours and 30 minutes. Then adding the stated approximate maximum time allocated equals 5 hours and 30 minutes.

From that it appears that RSD will be expecting 4 hours and 30 minutes on the new CHL-100 Forms.
Lamar County

o b juan

Re: LTC Course Hours Discrepancy?

Post by o b juan »

{ noticed that while prepping for my 1st class fridaY Where can I find a stop watch with an alarm? :rules: :rules:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

o b juan wrote:{ noticed that while prepping for my 1st class fridaY Where can I find a stop watch with an alarm? :rules: :rules:
Go to the cooking section of any department store and purchase a kitchen timer.
NRA Endowment Member

dogflight
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dogflight »

The DPS Course Outline time allotments are approximations. For instance, Module 1 states "Time Allotted: Approximately 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours". What is important is that all the listed topics, at a minimum, are adequately covered. My classroom time seems to be running in the neighborhood of 4-1/2 to 5 hours. With the new material, I will need to pick up the pace a little to include the new stuff within the same timeframe.

At the start of class, I explain that the state mandates a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 hours of classroom instruction. How long it takes for that particular class will depend a lot on the quality and quantity of questions, how many breaks or other interruptions we have, and how well my brain is functioning that day.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

dogflight wrote:At the start of class, I explain that the state mandates a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 hours of classroom instruction. How long it takes for that particular class will depend a lot on the quality and quantity of questions, how many breaks or other interruptions we have, and how well my brain is functioning that day.
That is pretty much my disclaimer too! I strive for 4 hours, but always seem to end up closer to 5. And I feel like I am talking like an auctioneer!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

dogflight
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dogflight »

Crossfire wrote:And I feel like I am talking like an auctioneer!
:lol: I know just what you mean. "30.06... 30.07... 30.07... sold to American!" (For those of us superannuated enough to remember that!)
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”