Apply before or after class?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 1

Apply before or after class?

Post by mloamiller »

I recently received my instructor's certificate, but haven't taught my first class yet. A potential student made a comment to me that she thought you were required to submit the LTC application online before attending the class. I didn't think it mattered - you can start the application process, then take the course, or vice versa. Just as long as you eventually submit your CHL-100 along with any other required documentation, you're good.

Thoughts?

Side note: I found it interesting that nothing about this process was covered in the instructor's course - how to complete or submit paperwork, overall application process, etc.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

eyet

Re: Apply before or after class?

Post by eyet »

You're right. It doesn't matter.

See http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/re ... ch=6&rl=12.

\
(1) Evidence of proficiency. The applicant must submit evidence of proficiency, as defined by §6.11 of this title (relating to Proficiency Requirements) reflecting the successful completion of a handgun proficiency course approved by the department and taught by a certified handgun instructor. Evidence of proficiency submitted by an original applicant will not be accepted by the department if it is more than two years old. Evidence of proficiency submitted by a renewal applicant will not be accepted by the department if it is more than six months old.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

When I took the Instructor Class a couple of years ago, Sherri from RSD referred to what she called the "Happy Path" to obtaining a license. She stated that it really did not matter in which order you did the various steps, but the "Happy Path" was to do the online application, submit all supporting documents such as DD-214 for reduced veterans fee, get your finger prints done and then take the course as the final step. This is the process I recommend to all my students. Most have done it this way with no problem. YMMV.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

AF-Odin wrote:When I took the Instructor Class a couple of years ago, Sherri from RSD referred to what she called the "Happy Path" to obtaining a license. She stated that it really did not matter in which order you did the various steps, but the "Happy Path" was to do the online application, submit all supporting documents such as DD-214 for reduced veterans fee, get your finger prints done and then take the course as the final step. This is the process I recommend to all my students. Most have done it this way with no problem. YMMV.

I had done it this way.. done the application first then submitted all documents at once..... even scanned ALL into one pdf file so would not have to submit separate files.. figured that way the bureau only had to pn one file instead of multiple files..
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

eyet wrote:You're right. It doesn't matter.

See http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/re ... ch=6&rl=12.

\
(1) Evidence of proficiency. The applicant must submit evidence of proficiency, as defined by §6.11 of this title (relating to Proficiency Requirements) reflecting the successful completion of a handgun proficiency course approved by the department and taught by a certified handgun instructor. Evidence of proficiency submitted by an original applicant will not be accepted by the department if it is more than two years old. Evidence of proficiency submitted by a renewal applicant will not be accepted by the department if it is more than six months old.

:iagree:
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

switch

Post by switch »

My understanding is DPS starts your background check as soon as they get your fingerprints. If an applicant has budgeting or scheduling problems, I recommend he go ahead and apply before class. If he waits a month of so to take the class, it probably will not have much affect on how soon he gets his LTC. DPS will be through w/the background check and ready to issue.

If he plans on taking the class in the next week, the order is not as important. It should have much effect either, what's a couple of days? It will probably be 3 to 5 days before he can get printed.

Course, I have 'heard' that it may depend on whose desk your app lands on. If you examiner happens to go on vacation, sick, gets detailed out or quits, it can take awhile for your app to get reassigned. :(

TexasSully

Post by TexasSully »

switch wrote:My understanding is DPS starts your background check as soon as they get your fingerprints. If an applicant has budgeting or scheduling problems, I recommend he go ahead and apply before class. If he waits a month of so to take the class, it probably will not have much affect on how soon he gets his LTC. DPS will be through w/the background check and ready to issue.

If he plans on taking the class in the next week, the order is not as important. It should have much effect either, what's a couple of days? It will probably be 3 to 5 days before he can get printed.

Course, I have 'heard' that it may depend on whose desk your app lands on. If you examiner happens to go on vacation, sick, gets detailed out or quits, it can take awhile for your app to get reassigned. :(
I am not sure that is correct. My understanding from speaking with someone at the DPS last week, they don't start BG check until everything is in. I applied online and got fingerprinted in late November and didn't take the LTC class until January 4th. I had assumed that the process would have gone faster doing it my way, but my experience has proven otherwise.

txtaxman

Post by txtaxman »

by mloamiller » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:50 pm
I recently received my instructor's certificate, but haven't taught my first class yet. A potential student made a comment to me that she thought you were required to submit the LTC application online before attending the class. I didn't think it mattered - you can start the application process, then take the course, or vice versa. Just as long as you eventually submit your CHL-100 along with any other required documentation, you're good.
There is no requirement to apply online before taking the LTC Class. However, it does make sense to complete the application before submitting the CHL-100, etc. If DPS/RSD receives a CHL-100 without an open application, It will only lead to a letter requesting the application and more delays.
Side note: I found it interesting that nothing about this process was covered in the instructor's course - how to complete or submit paperwork, overall application process, etc.
Evidently, there are also LTC Instructors who do not explain the application process to their students, as I have received calls for assistance from people who took a LTC class from a "traveling LTC Instructor" they cannot contact who supposedly told them "To send in the CHL-100 and get the license."
Lamar County

infoman

Post by infoman »

Best method: 1. take CHL course, 2. pay online & schedule fingerprints, 3. Upload all documents (including CHL-100). You don't need to send in anything for the prints.

The order of taking the class or paying online doesn't matter, but one very big thing is you need to send ALL your documents together at the same time AFTER you take the class.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”