Suggesting this forum to my students

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 3

Suggesting this forum to my students

Post by surferdaddy »

I was generating a new thank you email for my students and wanted to suggest this forum to them as a great resource for their journey through becoming responsible armed citizens. However, I wanted to ask before I did this as I am kinda promoting this place and was not sure if I should do this without permission and wanted to properly represent the forum. I know that I for one am honored to have found this forum as it has helped me immensely...and entertained me a great deal as well. Anyway, here is the letter.

Just wanted to let you know that the handgun licensing division at Texas DPS now has all the supporting documentation they need from us; so after you have completed your application with DPS, submitted to them your chl-100 form and completed your fingerprinting you should be good to go.

…and now begins the long wait.

I wish I had good suggestions on how to pass the time; I remember well rushing to the mail box every time the mailman came. You can log into the DPS website and check your licensing status…this, however, seems to only accentuate the agony.

I would suggest further exploring armed self defense on the Internet as there are some really great resources to be found, I like to poke around in texasCHLforum.com, the owner/administrator there is Mr. Charles Cotton, an Attorney and Board Member with the NRA who is very active in Austin; we as responsible armed citizens of this great state owe him and his colleagues a great debt as they have forwarded our cause in the capital more than most. He is a class act and the forum reflects this.

Better still would be to go train. Firearm proficiency increases dramatically with practice, and believe me when I say that it is a perishable skill; if you do not go shoot fairly often you will loose much of your new found prowess in the art of the gun.

Thank you for being great students, you all did very well. The world will soon become a safer place.

Any questions, any time? Just contact us, we would love to be able to assist you any way we can.

The gun2go team.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Suggesting this forum to my students

Post by Jusme »

I don't think there would be any problem recommending this forum to anyone, students or not, I have done so since I have been a member. IMHO the more the merrier, everyone brings a slightly different perspective to the forum, it provides massive amounts of information (some even legit :biggrinjester: ) and it connects others with similar interests, concerns and opinions. It will allow the new LTC applicants to see that they are not alone in their wait for plastic, their reasons for obtaining their LTC, and provide opinions on their choices for guns, holsters, method of carry, ammo, gun ranges, legal questions, and everything that we like to talk about as LTC holders. With the vast array of members already here with their different backgrounds and experiences, there is something for everyone.

I say recommend away!! :thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

My CHL instructor, Tom Estep [Elgato], is the one who recommended this forum to his class.

I don't know if any of my classmates joined, but I am glad that I did. :txflag:
NRA Endowment Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I think it would be almost irresponsible not to recommend this site.
Today there is no classroom required for renewal, yet every 2 years the laws are radically changed.
The class is also a lot shorter today than it was originally designed its impossible to get a good handle on our complex self defense and carry laws in a 4 hour class. I'm not saying that learning and keeping up to date can't be done without logging on to this forum, but it is the easiest and most obvious way.

That being said, it seems from discussions I've had with some CHL holders and questions that I've heard asked here, that there are a lot of misinformed instructors that obviously don't log on here and read.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

My instructor was terrible. Not that he was a bad guy, but he advocated some REALLY questionable practices. He offered many hypothetical situations which he claimed were examples of what he called "imminent commencement," and that we should assume that the actors in these stories were up to no good and that we should shoot them, reload, and shoot them some more. I really wish I were joking but I'm serious. After that it was little more than bumper sticker phrases and tired mall ninja sayings. "We carry 45s cause they don't make 46s," etc. It was completely ridiculous and in hindsight I really should have reported his class content.

My friend and I took this mans class together and it is one of the reasons we together decided to get into instruction.

I have learned so much from this forum and I would love to point my students in its direction. The waiting room alone is a right of passage.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I think Liberty hit the nail on the head. I recommend this forum as well as handgunlaw to all my students. :thumbs2:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"It was completely ridiculous and in hindsight I really should have reported his class content."

It's not to late.

I hope some poor knucklehead doesn't act upon the bad instruction and shoot when he shouldn't have....

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks for the kind words about the Forum family folks. Yes, please do recommend the Forum to your students. I learn and/or refresh my recollection when new folks ask questions or bring up issues, so they add more to the discussion than they know.

Chas.

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Thanks for the kind words about the Forum family folks. Yes, please do recommend the Forum to your students. I learn and/or refresh my recollection when new folks ask questions or bring up issues, so they add more to the discussion than they know.

Chas.
I will indeed refer my students here. I have truly learned more here about responsible carry than anywhere else.

Thanks,
Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

I give out a list of "Helpful Links" to every student. Things like DPS application site, DPS forms page, DPS FAQs page, my website, this website, IDENTGO website, and a few others.

Students have told me later that it was really valuable to them, especially this site.

Thanks CHAS and crew.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”