Student Applicant Foreign Born U.S. Citizen

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 1

Student Applicant Foreign Born U.S. Citizen

Post by kg5ie »

I have a student attempting to apply who is a U. S. citizen and lives local to me, but was born outside the U. S. when his father was deployed with the military. He claims that on the application there is no opportunity in all of the drop-down menus talking about place of birth to select anything other than a U. S. state.

I advised him to go "old school" and fill out the application on paper since the on-line version was not letting him complete it accurately. I also advised him to include proof of citizenship.

Does anyone know if there is a way for him to apply electronically since his place of birth is outside the U. S.?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Beiruty

Re: Student Applicant Foreign Born U.S. Citizen

Post by Beiruty »

Let him do it on paper and as an instructor call DPS and request software update for TLC Student born outside the US.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Re: Student Applicant Foreign Born U.S. Citizen

Post by The Annoyed Man »

kg5ie wrote:I have a student attempting to apply who is a U. S. citizen and lives local to me, but was born outside the U. S. when his father was deployed with the military. He claims that on the application there is no opportunity in all of the drop-down menus talking about place of birth to select anything other than a U. S. state.

I advised him to go "old school" and fill out the application on paper since the on-line version was not letting him complete it accurately. I also advised him to include proof of citizenship.

Does anyone know if there is a way for him to apply electronically since his place of birth is outside the U. S.?
I applied electronically back in 2007, and I am the foreign born son of a native born American citizen father. He'll have to apply like everyone else does. At some point, he'll get a letter from DPS asking for proof of citizenship. I sent them a photocopy of my Certificate of Live Birth signed by the US Consul in Casablanca, and that was sufficient. They will suspend his application process until they receive his documentation. Once they get it, they will continue processing his application. However long his app would have taken, add however long it takes for him to receive the letter, send them the documentation, and for them to receive it and review it.......say another 10-15 days.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Instructors' Corner”