Can you suggest a 380 pistol as a loaner for beginners?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

Can you suggest a 380 pistol as a loaner for beginners?

Post by BCGlocker »

I just start teaching LTC classes and discovered there are significant numbers of students are real beginners. They are having trouble shooting my Glock 17 as a loaner gun. I am considering purchasing an easy to shoot 380 for these students as a loaner. I am thinking a compact size (not subcompact) and slightly heavier 380. Any suggestions?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

mayor
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Can you suggest a 380 pistol as a loaner for beginners?

Post by mayor »

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... i=GM447578

I have one of these and I love it. it just fits.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Walther PK380

rotor

Post by rotor »

I can suggest one NOT to use, a S&W Bodyguard 380. The trigger pull is so heavy that they will never learn what a real trigger should be.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

BCGlocker wrote:I just start teaching LTC classes and discovered there are significant numbers of students are real beginners. They are having trouble shooting my Glock 17 as a loaner gun. I am considering purchasing an easy to shoot 380 for these students as a loaner. I am thinking a compact size (not subcompact) and slightly heavier 380. Any suggestions?
I would suggest starting those folks with a .22 - the S&W M&P .22.

Low recoil, decent trigger, easy slide retraction, and controls and operation very similar to the majority of striker fired pistols out there.

That solution has worked wonders for some folks I've taught.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

DA/SA hammer-fired
Larger frame
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

ELB

Post by ELB »

mayor wrote:http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... i=GM447578

I have one of these and I love it. it just fits.

I occasionally hear some complaints about the Bersa Thunder, but I hear so many more good comments by people who love them it makes me want to run out and buy one. (I just wish the slide safety didn't work "backwards.")

ETA: wow, spare factory magazines look pricey tho. :(
USAF 1982-2005

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Excaliber wrote:
BCGlocker wrote:I just start teaching LTC classes and discovered there are significant numbers of students are real beginners. They are having trouble shooting my Glock 17 as a loaner gun. I am considering purchasing an easy to shoot 380 for these students as a loaner. I am thinking a compact size (not subcompact) and slightly heavier 380. Any suggestions?

Low recoil, decent trigger, easy slide retraction, and controls and operation very similar to the majority of striker fired pistols out there.

Can a .22 he used for qualification?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

+1 for the Bersa Thunder 380. Great little gun. It's big enough to get a full grip on it and heavy enough to lessen recoil.

Most if the failures (FTF or FTE) I've had I've attributed to ammo, .380s can be finicky.

I've had several over the years and would probably buy one now if I found a deal. I buy one because I really like the gun, but then I start thinking too much...it's so big, it only holds 7 rounds, it's too big for a .380, my LC9S is the same size and it's a 9mm...so I sell it...then I start the process over again :smilelol5:

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I liked my Bersa as well, either the normal Thunder or the Thunder CC. The factory mags as someone mentioned are pricey though. Got mine for $311 tax and all.
NRA Benefactor Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Alao, wouldn't a 9mm glock 19 or similar be a good option? Similar recoil and less pricy ammo.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

mojo84 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

No, but once a student is over the initial learning curve of weapon operation, stance, sight alignment, and trigger control, it's pretty easy to introduce a gun with 9mm level recoil and have them do well with it.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It's rather expensive for a loaner gun for LTC classes, but I have a lot of women coming to my LTC and Basic Handgun Skills classes with SIG P238's. They seem to function well, have good sights and since they are locking-breech .380's, the slide is easy to rack.

As Excaliber said, if you are teaching basic handgun classes, you can't beat a .33LR for people who know nothing about guns.

Chas.

atx2a

Post by atx2a »

My EDC is the Bersa BP9CC. The other day at the range the officer was carrying the .380 version of the same gun. He says he really loves it. I have not used one, but I really love my 9mm. Same frame. Small enough for any size hand. Reasonable price.

But run only quality brass through it. It's picky.
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Excaliber wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

No, but once a student is over the initial learning curve of weapon operation, stance, sight alignment, and trigger control, it's pretty easy to introduce a gun with 9mm level recoil and have them do well with it.

I agree. I was just thinking the context of this thread was regarding a loaner for the LTC qualification.

I think the .22 lr can't be beat for teaching a newby how to shoot.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”