Why does DPS need applicants work history?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
switch
Posts in topic: 2

Why does DPS need applicants work history?

Post by switch »

I had a student call and ask if DPS was going to call her employer. I assured her NO. But got to wondering, why do they need that? I can understand where you've lived for 5 years, but work?

TangoX-ray
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why does DPS need applicants work history?

Post by TangoX-ray »

DPS is probably looking at where (geographic location) you worked to make sure they ran you through all of the applicable databases in those counties too.
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

pt145ss

Post by pt145ss »

TangoX-ray wrote:DPS is probably looking at where (geographic location) you worked to make sure they ran you through all of the applicable databases in those counties too.
If your employer is HEB, for example, and you put the corporate address, how would DPS know that you worked in Hays County (for example)?

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

pt145ss wrote:
TangoX-ray wrote:DPS is probably looking at where (geographic location) you worked to make sure they ran you through all of the applicable databases in those counties too.
If your employer is HEB, for example, and you put the corporate address, how would DPS know that you worked in Hays County (for example)?
Exactly my employer is in Silicon Valley.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

:iagree: It's also easier for them to contact you during the day if they have questions about your application. They called me at work to straighten out my application.
NRA Endowment Member

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

They are asking for your physical work address - not where you get your paycheck from. The purpose is for a local background check in each county in which you have lived or worked for the past 5 years.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
switch

Post by switch »

It's also easier for them to contact you during the day if they have questions about your application. They called me at work to straighten out my application.
Some might object to being called at work. "This is Sgt smith of DPS, is Sue Jones in?"

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

It's also another data point or set of data points with which to match the applicant and make sure that they are looking at the correct person.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

switch wrote:
It's also easier for them to contact you during the day if they have questions about your application. They called me at work to straighten out my application.
Some might object to being called at work. "This is Sgt smith of DPS, is Sue Jones in?"
DPS didn't just call me out of the blue. I don't remember how they made first contact, but I was fine talking from work.

The trooper was very polite as well as discrete. I had a direct line so there was nothing of that nature.

She asked if it was a good time and if was okay for me to talk.

At that time I didn't have a cell phone or I would have used that number. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Crossfire wrote:They are asking for your physical work address - not where you get your paycheck from. The purpose is for a local background check in each county in which you have lived or worked for the past 5 years.
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Solaris wrote:
pt145ss wrote:
DPS has investigators who know about this type of employment.
NRA Endowment Member

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

WildBill wrote:
Solaris wrote:
pt145ss wrote:
DPS has investigators who know about this type of employment.
Well all they have to do is read the app and they know about it. But knowing exactly where I was physically is pretty much impossible. I was a world wide employee, I could be anywhere on 6 continents, and was.

PhilBob

Post by PhilBob »

I, too, am one who worked for companies out of state and listed their corporate address for contact purposes as I worked out of a home office. Wouldn't the fact that one's residence was local despite the corporate addresses being elsewhere be a clue to this type of situation? Maybe it is cases like this that are contributing factors to the long delays in getting the LTC processed?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

PhilBob wrote:I, too, am one who worked for companies out of state and listed their corporate address for contact purposes as I worked out of a home office. Wouldn't the fact that one's residence was local despite the corporate addresses being elsewhere be a clue to this type of situation? Maybe it is cases like this that are contributing factors to the long delays in getting the LTC processed?
They really are looking for your physical work location, not the corporate office address. It is a good possibility that if you listed XYZ Corporation and it was in Pennsylvania, but you only worked in Texas, then that would potentially add additional time due to the background check being requested from PA, the county and city that the office was in that was not really needed.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Instructors' Corner”