New residents

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 1

New residents

Post by thetexan »

Can someone verify that even if someone has a license from another state that they move from:..they still need to take thee Texas class to get a Texas license.

For example...someone moves here from Tennessee and has a Tennessee license...they have to take the class and go thru the whole Texas process right?

Do they have to wait 6 months?
Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

WildBill

Re: New residents

Post by WildBill »

thetexan wrote:Can someone verify that even if someone has a license from another state that they move from:..they still need to take thee Texas class to get a Texas license.

For example...someone moves here from Tennessee and has a Tennessee license...they have to take the class and go thru the whole Texas process right?

Do they have to wait 6 months?
Tex
Yes, they have to apply and take the class.
No, they do not have to wait six months.
I am not sure what you mean about the three classes.
As far as I know I only had to take one. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I think that was an extra e, not a missing r.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Correct I know of no more 6 month waiting period, I think they can get a Texas Driver License without retesting, if you have a valid license in another state. (I may be wrong :confused5 .
They do have to take Tx LTC course to get an LTC license. The other state resident license is not valid, since they are no longer a resident in that state.
I have not researched this, because it has not come up in my classes. This is only what I recall. They could pick an instructor and he would probably take the time to research or maybe someone will come along with a definite answer due to their research.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Here is the legal basis for the lack of a six month wait.
GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY.
(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a handgun if the person:
(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);

<snip>

GC §411.173. NON-RESIDENT LICENSE.
(a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state. The procedure must include payment of a fee in an amount sufficient to recover the average cost to the department of obtaining a criminal history record check and investigation on a nonresident applicant. A license issued in accordance with the procedure established under this subsection:
IANAL, but it wouldn't be the first time it''s been done.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I moved to Texas in mid-April - applied for LTC in May and received it in June
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Instructors' Corner”