Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Lever-action pistol

Post by puma guy »

warnmar10 wrote:IANAI but:
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS
Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS.
(5) "Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.
Ask him to demonstrate proficiency with one hand. If he can aim, shoot and re-cock 5 rounds in the allotted time using only one hand let him use it on the test.
Do the rules specify you can only use one hand? I doubt that very much. Many shooters cock their SA revolvers with their off hand as do many DA revolver shooters. I along with everyone in my class used a two hand hold and probably everyone does, too, so why would you exempt this weapon from two handed use? I wouldn't want to be on the firing line with someone doing a Chuck Conners routine with their firearm.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

twomillenium wrote:I read nothing about the spirit of the law in the text of the handbook. If it is a pistol and is 22 caliber or bigger then it can be used. The only decision I see an instructor having is, can it be done safely without endangering others around them. If they are not proficient in the handling of the pistol especially (an unusual style) you do not have to give them another chance, just tell them to use something else. I was told by one DPS instructor that a student could use a two shot derringer, but they would have the same time constraints as anyone else.
I agree, don’t make up rules where there are none existing. I’m no LTC reg guru but if there is nothing forbidding it then let him use it. It’s ironic that firearm owners complain about our government making unnecessary rules for firearms yet as gun owners we like to make up our own to suit our own opinions (this is an example and individuals buying and selling firearms like to make their own rules. An example would be writing down the buyers DL or LTC info when nowhere does state or federal law require this).

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS
Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS.
(5) "Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.
Ask him to demonstrate proficiency with one hand. If he can aim, shoot and re-cock 5 rounds in the allotted time using only one hand let him use it on the test.
There are no regulations, in the LTC firearms proficiency test, that require any gun be fired with only one hand. To require that, of someone, with a non-traditional "pistol" seems unfair. JMHO
Exactly. Such a standard would disqualify any left-hander who uses his right hand to release the slide on a semiauto because the slide lock/release lever is on the left side of the frame. It would also disqualify anyone who uses a two-handed shooting grip.

Besides, Lucas McCain already demonstrated the possibility. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

spectre
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by spectre »

Do you require students shooting revolvers to do their reloads one handed?
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

puma guy wrote:
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS
Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS.
Do the rules specify you can only use one hand? I doubt that very much. Many shooters cock their SA revolvers with their off hand as do many DA revolver shooters. I along with everyone in my class used a two hand hold and probably everyone does, too, so why would you exempt this weapon from two handed use? I wouldn't want to be on the firing line with someone doing a Chuck Conners routine with their firearm.
I'm just trying to help. If an instructor is empowered to disallow a lever action pistol why can't he impose his own proficiency test too?

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

He is me a few years ago firing one handed.... can I qualify with this?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

warnmar10 wrote:
puma guy wrote:
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS
Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS.
I'm just trying to help. If an instructor is empowered to disallow a lever action pistol why can't he impose his own proficiency test too?
Sorry, warnmar10, I meant no offense. I was just using your post to juxtapose my questions and comments.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

puma guy wrote:Sorry, warnmar10, I meant no offense. I was just using your post to juxtapose my questions and comments.
None taken.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

warnmar10 wrote:
puma guy wrote:Sorry, warnmar10, I meant no offense. I was just using your post to juxtapose my questions and comments.
None taken.
:thumbs2:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

My only concern is that he would be unable to complete the course of fire for the proficiency in the allotted time for some of the strings. I think the only reason an instructor should prevent the use of this or any "handgun" is for safety reasons. If the gun is not handled safely or is not safe to operate due to reliability or functionality then I think it can be prohibited.

There, you got your money's worth. Wasn't that a bargain?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildRose
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildRose »

CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS
Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS.
There is no such "one hand" operation requirement in the law. Only that it must be designed to be fired with one hand.

It isn't up to us to make up our own rules, nor does the state allow for us to.
Last edited by WildRose on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:There are no regulations, in the LTC firearms proficiency test, that require any gun be fired with only one hand. To require that, of someone, with a non-traditional "pistol" seems unfair. JMHO
Might be justifiable for safety reasons.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

BBYC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BBYC »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jusme wrote:There are no regulations, in the LTC firearms proficiency test, that require any gun be fired with only one hand. To require that, of someone, with a non-traditional "pistol" seems unfair. JMHO
Might be justifiable for safety reasons.
Do they hold all students to the same standards?
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
skeathley
Posts in topic: 5

Post by skeathley »

This has gotten completely out of hand, with people making up conspiracy theories. I never said he had to be able to fire it with one hand; I said that the State definition of a handgun is one that "has been designed to be fired with one hand." Big difference.

Whether or not that particular gun CAN be fired with one hand, the fact is that it clearly was not designed to be. Unless you can spin it like Chuck Conners, there is no practical way to cock it one-handed. If it does not qualify as a handgun, then it is ineligible for use for a handgun license.

In reality, that gun is an SBR.

:rules:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

philbo
Banned

Post by philbo »

skeathley wrote:In reality, that gun is an SBR.
No, it isn't (at least not until ATF redefines it as such... :roll: ). Whether you allow it to be used in your class is your call and your prerogative, but don't try it justify it as anything other than your personal preference.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”