WWB failures

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Allons
Posts in topic: 1

Re: WWB failures

Post by Allons »

Winchester is the only brand I use for my 9mm and 45 ACP's. I usually buy the 200 round boxes of 9mm 115 grain and 100 round boxes of 230 grain 45 ACP for range days.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

I'm in the camp of those that cannot recall malfunctions with WWB ammo. I've shot around 2-3k rounds of .45ACP and before that 2-3k of .40S&W.

All of that ammo was also not purchased at one time. It was over years, so likely different lot numbers.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Hack Job

Post by Hack Job »

C-dub wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:54 am
Hack Job wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 am It's not WWB,
Why do you say this then show pictures of WWB?
Coffee shortage :headscratch . I fixed it.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

C-dub wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:57 am I'm in the camp of those that cannot recall malfunctions with WWB ammo. I've shot around 2-3k rounds of .45ACP and before that 2-3k of .40S&W.

All of that ammo was also not purchased at one time. It was over years, so likely different lot numbers.
Right. And CCI has rock hard primers and Sig Sauer ultra premium ammo has loose primers and uncrimped bullets. Much ado about nothing.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

pushpullpete
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pushpullpete »

Hack Job wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 am I just had a Winchester Target 5.56 quality escape. Inconsistent primers and headstamps and 1 inverted/crushed primer.
I can understand a single bad primer. But the mismatched primers and headstamps is surprising. Walmart reluctantly exchanged for a new box.

Edit: corrected ammo type
Just my opinion but, the picture looks to me like there are multiple manufacturers of primers. I think this
box of "WWB factory loads" are actually somebodys reloads that were returned after being swapped out or
by an employee that is starting to load their own & has no faith in their quality.
I believe this is a case of someone getting rid of some reloads they did not want/trust.
35+ yrs ago I bought 5 20 rd boxes of Remington for my 30-30 at a LGS in california. 3 of those boxes had been
resealed with someones reloads inside. The store refused to take them back so I still have them. They are
taped & labeled "NO SHOOT". Kept as a reminder to myself to check any ammo I buy before walking out
the door. YMMV

:txflag: :patriot:

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

The 2000 +/- rounds of 9, 40 & 45 WWB that I've fired over the yrs has never given me a problem.
It's a mass produced item. There are going to be issues w/any such product. Winchester in general,
has given me very few problems. Maybe I've been lucky (very possible),... or unaware (doubtful).
I will continue to use it, & others, as needed for trigger time practice.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

pushpullpete wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:06 pm
Hack Job wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 am I just had a Winchester Target 5.56 quality escape. Inconsistent primers and headstamps and 1 inverted/crushed primer.
I can understand a single bad primer. But the mismatched primers and headstamps is surprising. Walmart reluctantly exchanged for a new box.

Edit: corrected ammo type
Just my opinion but, the picture looks to me like there are multiple manufacturers of primers. I think this
box of "WWB factory loads" are actually somebodys reloads that were returned after being swapped out or
by an employee that is starting to load their own & has no faith in their quality.
I believe this is a case of someone getting rid of some reloads they did not want/trust.
35+ yrs ago I bought 5 20 rd boxes of Remington for my 30-30 at a LGS in california. 3 of those boxes had been
resealed with someones reloads inside. The store refused to take them back so I still have them. They are
taped & labeled "NO SHOOT". Kept as a reminder to myself to check any ammo I buy before walking out
the door. YMMV

That sounds like a definite possibility and if I can remember I'll also be checking future store purchases. My last few purchases, however, have been bulk online. No issues there either yet, but not WWB either.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Couple of years ago, and the last time I bought WWB, 9mm, 124 gr, I had 8 or 9 malformed rounds out of 2,000. Fortunately, I caught all but one as I was loading mags. The one I didn't catch caused me some interesting issues right in the middle of a fairly intense, 3-day shooting course.

My go-to, low price practice ammo has been Magtech ever since. In 15k+ rounds I may have had 1 or 2 light primer strikes and I can't be sure those weren't gun and not ammo related because they restruck just fine.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Hack Job

Post by Hack Job »

pushpullpete wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:06 pm The store refused to take them back so I still have them.
Walmart initially refused to take this purchase back, as per their ammo policy. After a lengthy discussion with the sporting goods associate and the store manager they finally agreed to an exchange. It was not an official transaction though, they just grabbed a box off the shelf and we swapped.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

A few months ago I bought 3 of the 200 round boxes. In one box I had 6 rounds with the bullet set too deep. I contacted Winchester, submitted pictures they requested, and they said they’d send me a shipping label to send the faulty rounds back. I haven’t received the label and haven’t heard from them since.

All the other rounds functioned as they should.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I bought a couple of boxes at a gun show only to get them home and see they were reloads.
Had a couple of squibs .
Never had an issue with new wwb
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

9mm wwb perfectly fine, 22 wwb 3 FTFs out 333 rounds

strogg

Post by strogg »

I've never had an issue with factory rounds out of any factory sealed box. I do avoid WWB, though, because I noticed their 45s ran very dirty compared to the Federal counterpart. I haven't tried WWB 9mms, though. At this point, I only buy 9mm factory loads, as I reload 45 and 10mm. I am about finished with my case of Magtechs, which performed flawlessly, and will start working on my Remington brown box inventory. I have already shot 500 rounds of the brown box so far, and those have performed flawlessly like the Magtechs. They shoot pretty accurately too, so no complaints there.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”