Carry in a courtroom

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
skeathley
Posts in topic: 2

Carry in a courtroom

Post by skeathley »

It has always been my understanding that carry was always disallowed in a courtroom or the premises of a court. I had an LTC student this week who works for the county (Roads and Bridges), and he said that he had been told at work that, after getting a license, he could carry in the courthouse or court premises if court was not in session.

Is that a quirk in the law, or is he misunderstanding what he was told?

:rules:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry in a courtroom

Post by Mike S »

TPC 46.03 generally makes courtrooms statutorily off limits, UNLESS you have written permission, or unless there's a written regulation that allows it.

" (3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court; "

If I recall correctly, there's a Texas Attorney General opinion that only the actual courtroom and offices essential for the operation of the court may be posted; the entire building (if it also houses other than court-related offices/agencies) may not be posted.

Topic author
skeathley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by skeathley »

That was my understanding as well. Collin County still has a lot of country personality, and is sometimes informal on some things. I wonder if this is just an "understanding" among county employees?

:biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Buddhist; "If a tree falls in the forest, and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Shootist; "If court is not in session, is it still a courtroom, or just a room?"

:headscratch :grumble :eek6 :totap: :shock:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

SRO1911 wrote:As laid back as my country county is, I still have it in writing- signed by the judge, with a copy in my employee file.
Not something I want to second guess or play the aww shucks card on.

If it's not in writing it did not happen, if it is in writing it might have happened but you better have duplicates with witnesses just in case.
And get it notarized!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:Buddhist; "If a tree falls in the forest, and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Shootist; "If court is not in session, is it still a courtroom, or just a room?"

:headscratch :grumble :eek6 :totap: :shock:
If no one is at home, then is it just a building or is it still your home?
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

NNT

Post by NNT »

I had this issue when attending an event in the courtroom that was not court. Our county considers the courtroom always off limits and is posted at the door to the room, not the bldg. The LEO on duty when I went in allowed me to stand in the small entry room(courtroom has double doors) and watch what was going on without actually passing the doors into the room. Very accomodating.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”