LTC-100 and Digital Signing

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jmorris
Posts in topic: 3

LTC-100 and Digital Signing

Post by jmorris »

At the renewal the DPS trooper stated that the instructor did not need a copy of the LTC-100 signed by the student. The very latest version of the form supports this as all three blocks are now set up for a digital signature. The student would not be able to digitally sign the form in class on my computer. The only process I can see is to email the form to the student after I sign it.

But! The form is password protected so how are they going to open it?

Looks like I'm still going to be printing for a while.

(I didn't see this discussed anywhere.)
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LTC-100 and Digital Signing

Post by Keith B »

You may be able to save the signed form as a .pdf and then email the completed form to the student.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

STR8-SHOT

Post by STR8-SHOT »

Download the TinyScanner app or equivalent to your smart phone and take a picture of the signed form at the gun range. The app turns the pic into a PDF file for your records. Then just give the original to the student. This process still requires bringing printed copies of the LTC-100 with you to class. I pre-fill these forms with the date of the course, time spent on each module, my name and instructor number, and the range address.

David

Topic author
jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I've done all that. I actually have a small wireless printer I take to the range. It's just that DPS set the form up for both parties to be able to digitally sign yet the student can't.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I have my students fill their portion of the LTC100 with signature and proper date of class by hand. Then I make copies and they do not receive their LTC100 until the have passed the class session and the proficiency shooting. I have scanned and sent a pdf file to a student who had a legitimate need for that assistance.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
jmorris

Post by jmorris »

twomillenium wrote:I have my students fill their portion of the LTC100 with signature and proper date of class by hand. Then I make copies and they do not receive their LTC100 until the have passed the class session and the proficiency shooting. I have scanned and sent a pdf file to a student who had a legitimate need for that assistance.
I do basically the same. I just found it funny that the latest form is set up for all digital signatures but it's impossible for the student to digitally sign it. Unfortunately a form cannot be set up to be only partially password protected. It is possible to use a script to protect individual fields.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

jmorris wrote:
twomillenium wrote:I have my students fill their portion of the LTC100 with signature and proper date of class by hand. Then I make copies and they do not receive their LTC100 until the have passed the class session and the proficiency shooting. I have scanned and sent a pdf file to a student who had a legitimate need for that assistance.
I do basically the same. I just found it funny that the latest form is set up for all digital signatures but it's impossible for the student to digitally sign it. Unfortunately a form cannot be set up to be only partially password protected. It is possible to use a script to protect individual fields.

You are attempting to induce logic into a government process and form. :nono:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”