Instructors that wear Body Armour

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Instructors that wear Body Armour

Post by jason812 »

MaduroBU wrote:I just assumed that pointing a gun at another human during the proficiency test resulted in automatic failure.
It was in my class. Instructor said there will be no warnings, you will go home.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

WildRose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildRose »

After watching some videos of idiots on public ranges my wife bought me a plate carrier and helmet for my birthday and sweetly insisted that I never take another group to the range without them.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I haven't yet acquired armor to wear while instructing. It is only a matter of time and resources, though -- I am not so much concerned with those I am instructing as the other shooters at public ranges.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

For the past few weeks, I have been taking my best female friend to learn how to shoot her new LadySmith .38 J-Frame at my favorite indoor range. I only go there on days when the range is nearly empty. One time, I overheard an employee tell the manager to "watch the guy with the .45 on lane 6. He just pointed his gun in the wrong direction." I told my friend that we didn't want to be inside the range area today, so we went home. Such an event ruins the day for us, because it's hard enough to teach a new shooter, and watch all the others at the same time. I have put DFNDR handgun plate and carrier on my wish list. I have a question about that, though: Is it legal in Texas to wear one of those ballistic vests in public, say at Walmart when I'm carrying? I think they're illegal in some states unless you're an LEO.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

http://www.ar500armor.com has a concealment vest, but it looks like it is level III armor only. Not sure if you think that is sufficient.
https://www.ar500armor.com/plate-carrie ... t-pkg.html

I keep thinking I want to acquire armor, but I am just not sure where I would use it. I have a membership at a private range and haven't had an issue there. The collector in me still wants some.

CipherAce

Post by CipherAce »

I have body armor, IIIa, but I don't use it at the range I go to. Never had an issue there, and usually go at off times so I can have the place to myself. I do however carry it in a backpack everyday, a Vertx brand, with a slot for it as a meager means of protection. Unfortunately the private institution I'm a grad student at didn't set the policy to allow carry within the institution. So while I work from home when possible, I'm legally disarmed on a daily basis. I carry what I can though.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

SIGFan43 wrote:For the past few weeks, I have been taking my best female friend to learn how to shoot her new LadySmith .38 J-Frame at my favorite indoor range. I only go there on days when the range is nearly empty. One time, I overheard an employee tell the manager to "watch the guy with the .45 on lane 6. He just pointed his gun in the wrong direction." I told my friend that we didn't want to be inside the range area today, so we went home. Such an event ruins the day for us, because it's hard enough to teach a new shooter, and watch all the others at the same time. I have put DFNDR handgun plate and carrier on my wish list. I have a question about that, though: Is it legal in Texas to wear one of those ballistic vests in public, say at Walmart when I'm carrying? I think they're illegal in some states unless you're an LEO.
I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on the internet but in Texas you can legally possess body armor as long as you aren't a felon. If you're not wearing concealable armor though you're liable to get some excitement going wearing it around town and likely to draw unwanted attention from LEO's.

Mine has a bright red "FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR" patch front and back to help eliminate unwanted attention and questions.

I seriously can't think of a reason I'd want to wear it at Wally World or anywhere else I shop though.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Topic author
Texanaggie
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Instructors that wear Body Armor

Post by Texanaggie »

AJSully421 wrote:The word Armor does not have a “u” in it... at least not in America.
Well no kidding Capt. Obvious, you think .maybe spell check or autocorrect did that, shame on me for not completely proof reading for the spelling nazi's and grammar police ...

Thanks for not contributing to the conversation..

AJSully421

Re: Instructors that wear Body Armor

Post by AJSully421 »

Texanaggie wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:The word Armor does not have a “u” in it... at least not in America.
Well no kidding Capt. Obvious, you think .maybe spell check or autocorrect did that, shame on me for not completely proof reading for the spelling nazi's and grammar police ...

Thanks for not contributing to the conversation..
You’re welcome.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”