A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Texanaggie
Posts in topic: 5

Instructors that wear Body Armour

Post by Texanaggie »

Fellow instructors,

I wanted to see who wears Body armor, concealable or plate carriers at the pistol quals ...... after having another student swing around to talk to me with a gun in its hand (thankfully I saw it coming step aside and pushed her elbow back into the stall...

got me thinking should I be wearing concealable body armor or a plate carrier to keep all my organs intact inside my body since I am VERY allergic to being shot and lead poisoning; not only that but I don't want to get blood or a hole on my favorite shirts I wear...

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Instructors that wear Body Armour

Post by twomillenium »

I wear IIIA body armor, doing a proficiency test outdoors or use a indoor range that does not use cinder block stalls, when multiple students are shooting. My wife was present when a student turned towards me, I was not close enough to stop her. Fortunately, it was a stove pipe issue, the student was warned and pulled from the line, I did instruct her more on safety and she passed later in a individual proficiency test. Wife freaked, as most would, I had body armor within 2 weeks, it stays in the truck. I also wear a body cam, almost all the time, but always when private lesson is given. I just tell the students that I use it to critic instruction methods. I recommend both to all and yes, it is hot during the summer or above 85 degrees.
BTW, I was once stopped and the LEO noticed the body armor in the back seat, which kinda of alarmed him. (I could tell by the conversation that followed) Since then I have added an instructor patch on front and back.
Last edited by twomillenium on Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jago668 »

After seeing some stupid stuff I wouldn't blame anyone for wearing armor at any range.
NRA Benefactor Member

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I do not own any body armor but have on several occasions thought about using it in certain circumstances. I do employ other “passive” safety measures which I think are wise for all to use.

I always keep an eye on the students muzzle. Even when engaging in unrelated conversation.

I always stand on the side of the student which corresponds to their “handedness.” For example; if they are right handed I stand to their right side and the same goes for lefties. If a student is right handed then it is far more likely that they will sweep anything to the left and lefties tent to sweep their right side. It is also easier to catch them and gently control their arm from these positions if they look as though they are about to let their pistol “wander.”

I also talk to students about how a firearm is just a machine and is therefore inanimate with out outside input. I talk to them about if they hear me calmly but assertively say “Freeze” than they need to stop all motion and we will all remain safe while we work out the “problem.”

There are lots of other little things we do to keep safe at the line. Many are kind of intuitive others are not. I have been spooked by people’s carelessness before; these are usually people who have never first hand seen the destructive potential of firearms. I at an early age went hunting frequently and quickly learned to respect guns and what they can do. Most people these days never emperience things which instills the healthy “fear” of firearms in them.

Like I said; more and more I think about body armor.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Topic author
Texanaggie

Post by Texanaggie »

surferdaddy wrote:I do not own any body armor but have on several occasions thought about using it in certain circumstances. I do employ other “passive” safety measures which I think are wise for all to use.

I always keep an eye on the students muzzle. Even when engaging in unrelated conversation.

I always stand on the side of the student which corresponds to their “handedness.” For example; if they are right handed I stand to their right side and the same goes for lefties. If a student is right handed then it is far more likely that they will sweep anything to the left and lefties tent to sweep their right side. It is also easier to catch them and gently control their arm from these positions if they look as though they are about to let their pistol “wander.”

I also talk to students about how a firearm is just a machine and is therefore inanimate with out outside input. I talk to them about if they hear me calmly but assertively say “Freeze” than they need to stop all motion and we will all remain safe while we work out the “problem.”

There are lots of other little things we do to keep safe at the line. Many are kind of intuitive others are not. I have been spooked by people’s carelessness before; these are usually people who have never first hand seen the destructive potential of firearms. I at an early age went hunting frequently and quickly learned to respect guns and what they can do. Most people these days never emperience things which instills the healthy “fear” of firearms in them.

Like I said; more and more I think about body armor.

Surfer

I do all the same things but when I am 2 students away and they turn to me, I don't really like seeing muzzles, they get one warning next one disqualified. I normally ask everyone who is exp'd and who is not and stall really close to the non-exp. I can usually tell with a few minutes who is familiar with shooting and who is not.. .I stick to the not's like glue so myself or anyone else doesn't get hurt......

I am sure you and every other instructor has a safety brief in class before we go int the range, but seems there is always someone that all they heard was shoot (charlie brown adult noise) shoot......

I also agree looking more and more at armor

Topic author
Texanaggie

Post by Texanaggie »

twomillenium wrote:I wear IIIA body armor, doing a proficiency test outdoors or use a indoor range that does not use cinder block stalls, when multiple students are shooting. My wife was present when a student turned towards me, I was not close enough to stop her. Fortunately, it was a stove pipe issue, the student was warned and pulled from the line, I did instruct her more on safety and she passed later in a individual proficiency test. Wife freaked, as most would, I had body armour within 2 weeks, it stays in the truck. I also wear a body cam, almost all the time, but always when private lesson is given. I just tell the students that I use it to critic instruction methods. I recommend both to all and yes, it is hot during the summer or above 85 degrees.
BTW, I was once stopped and the LEO noticed the body armour in the back seat, which kinda of alarmed him. (I could tell by the conversation that followed) Since then I have added an instructor patch on front and back.

I am ok with the heat factor or being uncomfortable since it will save me from having any new holes in me ... do you wear a plate carrier or concealed armor... I have always tried to not make the shooting portion intimidating since people are already nervous shooting..... thanks for the info btw

Kinda surprised an LEO would care if you are a law-abiding LTC. I would think if you say i am a pistol instructor that would end his conversation

I am kinda leaning towards the plate carrier since there are so many options and ease of putting on and off....

I have been looking at the DFNDR armor, A Navy Seal that was instructing a munitions class I was in showed me the plate and it was super light and showed me one shot up protected well...

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Texanaggie wrote: I am ok with the heat factor or being uncomfortable since it will save me from having any new holes in me ... do you wear a plate carrier or concealed armor... I have always tried to not make the shooting portion intimidating since people are already nervous shooting..... thanks for the info btw

Kinda surprised an LEO would care if you are a law-abiding LTC. I would think if you say i am a pistol instructor that would end his conversation

I am kinda leaning towards the plate carrier since there are so many options and ease of putting on and off....

I have been looking at the DFNDR armor, A Navy Seal that was instructing a munitions class I was in showed me the plate and it was super light and showed me one shot up protected well...
Maybe I used the wrong word, he was not alarmed but curious. It did lead to the starting question "Is that a bullet proof vest?" It was a friendly conversation with him talking about wearing the concealable vest and me telling him the why and when I wear and that the exterior vest was just fine for that.

I wear the exterior carrier but it has the Kevlar soft plates rated a IIIa. It is much lighter than the steel plates my wife and sons originally bought. I did keep the one they bought for me and told my wife that it was for her if a WROL situation happens, or for me if she ever got really, really mad at me. :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

I used to wear body armor when I shot at public ranges.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
Texanaggie

Post by Texanaggie »

BBYC wrote:I used to wear body armor when I shot at public ranges.

My friend that is an insurance policy for sure, some of the things I have seen at ranges, I need a full armor suit head to toe, maybe a bomb blast suit? , I used to go to a public range that I would carry and shoot my other pistols and when it got too thuggy; I packed up and left, too many Clowns .... have not gone back to that unsaid range

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Depends on if I know the students (I usually only teach 1 or 2 at a time). If strangers and I am not sure of their skills I wear an old Level II concealable. Seriously thinking about an upgrade to a IIIA,
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I just assumed that pointing a gun at another human during the proficiency test resulted in automatic failure.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

MaduroBU wrote:I just assumed that pointing a gun at another human during the proficiency test resulted in automatic failure.
i think it should personally... If you don't know basic gun safety, you should be failed on the spot.
NRA Member

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Seriously though. The very first thing lesson in handling a gun is how to NOT shoot people. The first TEN lessons, the first HUNDRED, on to infinity until absolute mastery is reached for safety. I would argue that it is insane to believe that someone operating a weapon in extremely controlled circumstances will do so more safely when confronted with the task of philosophically and legally determining that they need to end a human life (assuming that shooting to incapacitate means a more likely than not chance of killing that person) in self defense and then acting upon that decision. Looking at police involved shootings, I am often appalled at the gross disregard for Rule 3, particularly when coupled with the number of rounds fired.

I am acclimatized to killing things with one shot. The four rules are deeply ingrained in me since childhood, to the point that I annoy people. I have only ever pointed a firearm at one human being (Larry Feland) because there isn't another way to properly fit a shotgun (He deliberately keeps live ammo out of his shop and still demonstrates an empty chamber before either party mounts the gun and looks down the bore. That session still emotionally bothered me a lot). I still have no idea how I would perform should I need to use a firearm in self defense. I carry a .380 with JHPs because I am terrified of putting a bullet through an attacker and into the great unknown. If MY performance with regard to safety in an actual SD scenario is still suspect, then how can we trust someone who blatantly violates the first two commandments of gun safety at a shooting range while being actively observed and instructed?

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

The word Armor does not have a “u” in it... at least not in America.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

AJSully421 wrote:The word Armor does not have a “u” in it... at least not in America.
The Americans and the Brits are two peoples divided by a common language....
George Bernard Shaw

Then of course, there's Armour hot dogs and Armour vienna sausages...... :evil2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “Instructors' Corner”