Student Visa?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Student Visa?

Post by Killadocg23 »

AF-Odin wrote:IIRC, he can purchase a "deferral of Hunter Safety which is good for 1-year. After that must do Hunter safety to get a Hunting License. had to do that with my son when he came back from Iraq. Think the deferral is $10 or $15. Just easier to find a hunter safety instructor and get it done. many Instructors will work one on one--just need to look around. DPS and TPWD are different organizations that do not necessarily talk.
He doesnt need the hunters ed to get his LTC or even purchase a gun actually. I didnt have hunters ed or a deferral when i got my LTC or purchased my gun.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Maxwell »

Charles,

I've been told by a family member in the US Border Patrol that possession of a handgun by a non-resident will get them deported immediately (or at least get the process started with vigor). In other words, the hunting license exception does not apply to handguns.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Maxwell wrote:Charles,

I've been told by a family member in the US Border Patrol that possession of a handgun by a non-resident will get them deported immediately (or at least get the process started with vigor). In other words, the hunting license exception does not apply to handguns.
They should check with their buddies over at ICE and CNS since they’re putting out bad information. There’s a FAQ topic on this site for non immigrants on getting LTC.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RossA »

Killadocg23 wrote:
RossA wrote:I was thinking that he would need to take a course, but wanted to be sure. Being an old timer, I never had to take one.
No, he does not have to take the course. When I asked DPS about this the lady on the phone told me they don’t care about the hunters ed. You just need a valid license ...
May I ask if you have received a social security number? On another thread referenced above it was mentioned that it helps in the process. My friend doesn’t have one.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Killadocg23 »

RossA wrote:
Killadocg23 wrote:
RossA wrote:I was thinking that he would need to take a course, but wanted to be sure. Being an old timer, I never had to take one.
No, he does not have to take the course. When I asked DPS about this the lady on the phone told me they don’t care about the hunters ed. You just need a valid license ...
May I ask if you have received a social security number? On another thread referenced above it was mentioned that it helps in the process. My friend doesn’t have one.
Yes sir but I applied for my LTC before I had a social. He won’t be able to do an online application and will have to mail everything like I did. I received my LTC exactly in One months time from mailing it to DPS to having it in my hand.After I got my social I updated my drivers license with it. I was then able to change my LTC address online and received my new card with updated address. So tel him just get the hunting license ,i94 form ,passport pages and the necessary forms from his LTC classes and mail it in. That’s it.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

I have to provide my social security number or they won't sell me a hunting license, but a foreigner without a social security number can buy a hunting license? That just proves they don't really need my social security number either.

:grumble
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

infoman

Post by infoman »

That person must send a current I-94 (this is most important & what # DPS runs through ICE), hunting license, US Visa, & must have a state issued DL/ID card.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”