A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Student Visa?

Post by RossA »

Seems like this is my year to receive questions that I have never been asked before.
I met a young man from England who is here on a F1 Student Visa. He wants to buy a gun and get a LTC. Not sure what the law is on either of those. I know that permanent resident legal aliens can do both, but not sure about student visa holders.
Thanks in advance.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

apostate
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Student Visa?

Post by apostate »

A nonimmigrant alien may not possess a firearm unless they satisfty one of the 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2) exceptions. Conveniently, having a hunting license is an exception.

They also have to satisfy the same background requirements as a resident alien or citizen, despite what the DNC says.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

So if my friend gets a Texas hunting license, he can then buy and own a gun? I guess he would have to first take a hunter safety course to get a hunting license?
Would that also qualify him to be allowed to apply for a LTC?

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

RossA wrote:So if my friend gets a Texas hunting license, he can then buy and own a gun? I guess he would have to first take a hunter safety course to get a hunting license?
Would that also qualify him to be allowed to apply for a LTC?
Lots of good info on this topic here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=74717
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This is directly from DPS: "They must be eligible as an non-immigrant and submit all required documents(US Visa, I-94, and a valid hunting license)."

Chas.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This is directly from DPS: "They must be eligible as an non-immigrant and submit all required documents(US Visa, I-94, and a valid hunting license)."

Chas.
Well, since I am not familiar with how DPS defines some of those terms,
1. Is a student visa holder a non-immigrant or an immigrant?
2. How do you know if someone is eligible as a non-immigrant?

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Killadocg23 »

Yes he is able to purchase a firearm and get his LTC once he meets the requirements which are I-94 form, passport pages and hunting license. I am speaking from experience because I am here in Texas as a student on F1 visa and I have my LTC and have purchase a firearm before. This is information directly from the horses mouth.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Thanks, guys.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Killadocg23 wrote:Yes he is able to purchase a firearm and get his LTC once he meets the requirements which are I-94 form, passport pages and hunting license. I am speaking from experience because I am here in Texas as a student on F1 visa and I have my LTC and have purchase a firearm before. This is information directly from the horses mouth.
Did you have to take a hunter safety course in order to get a Texas hunting license? Just want to make sure I let him know all of the steps involved. Thanks again.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

RossA wrote:
Killadocg23 wrote:Yes he is able to purchase a firearm and get his LTC once he meets the requirements which are I-94 form, passport pages and hunting license. I am speaking from experience because I am here in Texas as a student on F1 visa and I have my LTC and have purchase a firearm before. This is information directly from the horses mouth.
Did you have to take a hunter safety course in order to get a Texas hunting license? Just want to make sure I let him know all of the steps involved. Thanks again.
Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete a Hunter Education Training Course. Proof of certification or deferral is required to be on your person while hunting. Minimum age of certification is 9 years and cost is $15.

If you were born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, and you are:

under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied. (*See definition of accompanied.)
age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete a hunter education course or be accompanied.
age 17 and over, you must successfully complete a hunter education course; or purchase a "Hunter Education Deferra" and be accompanied.

https://www.huntercourse.com/usa/texas/regulations.aspx
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I was thinking that he would need to take a course, but wanted to be sure. Being an old timer, I never had to take one.

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Killadocg23 »

RossA wrote:I was thinking that he would need to take a course, but wanted to be sure. Being an old timer, I never had to take one.
No, he does not have to take the course. When I asked DPS about this the lady on the phone told me they don’t care about the hunters ed. You just need a valid license ...

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

IIRC, he can purchase a "deferral of Hunter Safety which is good for 1-year. After that must do Hunter safety to get a Hunting License. had to do that with my son when he came back from Iraq. Think the deferral is $10 or $15. Just easier to find a hunter safety instructor and get it done. many Instructors will work one on one--just need to look around. DPS and TPWD are different organizations that do not necessarily talk.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

apostate
Posts in topic: 2

Post by apostate »

I believe there are online-only options for hunter education.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”