New Instructor Training Questions

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: New Instructor Training Questions

Post by AF-Odin »

????New to me. Never heard of this before.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

rob777
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rob777 »

A PowerPoint presentation isn't required for teaching the class. A new instructor wouldn't have the necessary, required information to create such a presentation until after they've taken the class... so I'm trying to figure out how he could have one and why DPS would ask to see it?
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Rvieira wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:35 pm During the classroom portion at the DPS training center are students required to create and show their own PowerPoint? I was just talking to a guy who said he took the class last year and was required to show his PowerPoint and make sure that it covered all required items and covered a minimum of 4 hours.

Somebody was winding you up.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Rvieira
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rvieira »

I couldn’t figure out when someone would have time to create one during the 3 day class and present it? I didn’t think his story checked out out. Just wanted to clarify with others who had taken it already. I like to be as prepared as possible before showing up. Especially seen as it’s my money on the line.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Sorry to say you won't actually learn much about teaching an LTC class in the LTC Instructor's course.

If you have the chance, ask a local instructor or two that you like if you can help them RO their qual shoots and audit the classroom portion. You'll get some good ideas about what works or doesn't work for your own classes.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
AJSully421
Posts in topic: 10

Post by AJSully421 »

Rvieira wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:35 pm During the classroom portion at the DPS training center are students required to create and show their own PowerPoint? I was just talking to a guy who said he took the class last year and was required to show his PowerPoint and make sure that it covered all required items and covered a minimum of 4 hours.
You are not required to create, nor show a PowerPoint at this training.

What probably happened is that they got confused. If you want to use a PowerPoint to teach, then you will have to make your own, the RSD doesn’t provide you with one.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

jmorris
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmorris »

Scott B. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:58 pm Sorry to say you won't actually learn much about teaching an LTC class in the LTC Instructor's course.

If you have the chance, ask a local instructor or two that you like if you can help them RO their qual shoots and audit the classroom portion. You'll get some good ideas about what works or doesn't work for your own classes.
That's why you have to get an instructor's cert elsewhere. Old timers can correct me but I believe at one point the class was a day or two longer and they actually taught how to teach.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “Instructors' Corner”