Application Process Question

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
rob777
Posts in topic: 1

Application Process Question

Post by rob777 »

Good evening instructors! This is a first for me so hopefully some of you can provide a little clarification.

I gave a class back in March 2017 (<2 yrs ago). A student from that class started the application process shortly after (>1 yr ago) but never did the fingerprinting requirement.

Does the student simply have to start the application process over (paying the application fee again), being able to use the CHL-100 from 2017?

I would say yes, but thought I'd reach out to the instructor community here before responding.

Thanks in advance
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

Mike S

Re: Application Process Question

Post by Mike S »

I believe their application is only valid for 1 year, & if everything isn't submitted within that year it's closed. They will likely need to start the application process over again.

As for the class/qualification, the Admin Code still reflects that the LTC-100 is only valid for one year ( http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/re ... ch=6&rl=14 ) , but I thought someone had posted awhile back that it had reverted back to being valid for 2 years. The below is a copy/paste from the above link, as of 8 Jan 2018:
(f) All certificates of training (LTC-100 or LTC-101) are valid for one year from the date of issuance. Any certificate of training that is required in conjunction with an application must be valid on the date the completed application is submitted to the department.
So, bottom line is that they will likely need to re-do the application, and possibly the class. I'd suggest that they contact the RSD to determine (1) if their application is still open (I'm thinking not), & (2) if the LTC-100 is valid for one year or two.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Mike S wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 pm I believe their application is only valid for 1 year, & if everything isn't submitted within that year it's closed. They will likely need to start the application process over again.

As for the class/qualification, the Admin Code still reflects that the LTC-100 is only valid for one year ( http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/re ... ch=6&rl=14 ) , but I thought someone had posted awhile back that it had reverted back to being valid for 2 years. The below is a copy/paste from the above link, as of 8 Jan 2018:
(f) All certificates of training (LTC-100 or LTC-101) are valid for one year from the date of issuance. Any certificate of training that is required in conjunction with an application must be valid on the date the completed application is submitted to the department.
So, bottom line is that they will likely need to re-do the application, and possibly the class. I'd suggest that they contact the RSD to determine (1) if their application is still open (I'm thinking not), & (2) if the LTC-100 is valid for one year or two.

That Admin Code was effective 1/11/18. RSD has stated that certificates issued before then are good for 2 years (old code), those issued on or after, are good for one. That said, it has also been reported on this forum that the change was receded and we are back to 2 years. Clear as mud?

Bottom line, I think having the student contact RSD is the best advice.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

switch

Post by switch »

They rescinded that change. Went back to 2 years for LTC100.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”