Shooting Qualification While Pregnant

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Shooting Qualification While Pregnant

Post by Vol Texan »

So here's an interesting question I received tonight - and I welcome opinions on this.

A gentleman called me tonight inquiring about an LTC course for his wife. She is about 20 weeks pregnant, and they both want her to get her license. With their first born on the way, they want her to be able to carry. She is already comfortable with pistol shooting, so this is a next logical step for her.

The question he had was, "should she shoot while pregnant?"

I suggested that no, being in a shooting range (we live in Houston, so most of my options for qualification are indoor ranges) would not be a great idea. The sound of the gunfire is perceptible to the baby, and that's not good for the developing child.

He agreed, but then he asked, "could she shoot the course with a suppressor?" I know optics and lasers are out, and I'm nearly 100% sure that suppressors are OK, but I promised to get back to him with more info - so here I am. My other thought is that lead is also not good for the child, and it's best to avoid it.

I've checked out a few old postings on the forum for ideas on the topics of qualifying with a suppressor and shooting while pregnant, and also some other info and even more info available off the forum.

I do have an acquaintance with a ranch and a private shooting range on it in the outskirts of Houston and I thought of a combination that might work.
  • If we were the only folks on the outdoor range, and
  • if she used a suppressor, and
  • if she wore long sleeves to avoid, and
  • if she wore a face mask (and surgical gloves as well, if she wants to), and
  • if she washed her hands and arms with cold water right after,
would you consider the risks minimized enough to suggest she could shoot? We're only talking 50 rounds here, of course, not an extended weekend at the range.

I tend to be risk averse, but I understand why they want to get the license done and dusted now before she has the baby (because afterward will be harder to get the free time).

I welcome all opinions.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

C-dub

Re: Shooting Qualification While Pregnant

Post by C-dub »

This from A Girl and A Gun. My first thought was the risk of noise exposure, but they also go into the lead issue.

https://www.agirlandagun.org/shooting-pregnant-nursing/
Shooting While Pregnant
Can I shoot during my pregnancy? This is a wonderful question that we love to get! There is not a simple yes or no answer, but we have several resources that will help you make the best decision for you while pregnant and/or breastfeeding. A similar question is: can I exercise while pregnant? The professional answer on that is if you already are physically active, continue your normal workouts as usual. If you are not someone who exercises regularly, pregnancy is not the time to start training for a marathon. The same can be said for shooting sports, but all things should be kept in moderation.

The easy answer is yes you can. The complicated answer is: there are rules that you MUST follow to stay safe. No use of indoor ranges while pregnant. Period. No exceptions. A Girl & A Gun prohibits our pregnant moms from participating in events at an indoor range. Indoor ranges, even state-of-the-art facilities with high-end air filtration systems and noise-reduction construction still pose a risk for lead poisoning and noise irritation. Indoor ranges are a no-go zone during pregnancy.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Renewal before last for my wife happened while she was preganant with our first (of three) kids. She and my folks got their CHLs at the same time so they all renewed at the same time. This was when Crossfire was still teaching classes at Cabelas in Fort Worth. Anyhow, long story short she did the classroom portion at about 28 weeks and then we arranged for her to come back about a month after delivery and shoot the qualification course. They had her out prior to their current class showing up to the range so she was able to shoot in about 10 mins and be done.

This of course doesn’t help a new appliance to as it delays the process, but since sheww had several months before her’s expired it worked fine for her. Either way I wouldn’t want to have the (multiple) exposures of shooting while pregnant.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I had a student who was in her second trimester about 3 years ago. She is a dental hygienist, and her Dad is a dentist. I talked with her OB Doc who is an avid shooter. He consulted some of his expert friends and they all concurred that since it was outdoor range, the sound would be a minimal issue as long as no one was right next to her with a magnum handgun (heavy concussion). The main concern would be lead and nitrate exposure, so she wore nitrile gloves and a surgical mask (both of what she wears when cleaning teeth) and had no issues at all. Their little girl is healthy and is super smart (and awfully cute too!) :-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

wow....I shot all through my pregnancy with my son, course this was over 20 years ago, so.....He's perfectly healthy, never thought a thing about it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

:confused5 What if she needs a gun while pregnant? :cryin What did "Rosie the Riveter" do during WWII? Good grief! :roll:

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Have her use a suppressed .22 outside and qualify before or after everyone else if she insists. I asked one of my students to come back after birth of her child (3 mos). I explained my concern and that there are no studies on the long term effects, but why take a chance. She waited and came back to qualify.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

I have qualified 3 pregnant women. Everything that I read indicated that the shockwave from normal firearms was not safe for ears inside the body. However, I let them use my suppressed glock with subsonic rounds. Sounds like a nailgun.
What part of Texas are you in? I would happily do the shooting qualification for them if they are close (free). I am in Houston.
I'm sure if you are near a different metro hub, you could find someone on here with a suppressor that would be willing to help.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Doctor's OK in writing. I don't want to be giving medical advice or be held liable.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

rotor

Post by rotor »

troglodyte wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:58 pm Doctor's OK in writing. I don't want to be giving medical advice or be held liable.
Correct answer. And no doctor with any brains will give you an okay in writing. My advice, don't do this while pregnant. Without blood tests we don't know lead exposure and I don't know any way to predict the affect of loud noise on a developing fetus's hearing.

For those who did a lot of shooting while pregnant your children may not start going deaf until age 60 instead of age 70. Who knows?

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Since no one wants to do actual research on babies in the womb, with respect to noise and airborne lead exposure, we still refuse to qualify pregnant women. Even with a .22. Even suppressed.
And, with other students there, God forbid, anyone should have an ND.
It is just not worth the risk.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”