NRA CCW Instructor class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jmorris
Posts in topic: 4

NRA CCW Instructor class

Post by jmorris »

Got an email today with the official announcement for this class. First, from the website:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... cw-course/
"The NRA CCW Course—a modular program adaptable to all 50 states—does not replace current NRA training courses. Rather, it complements existing NRA courses and, most importantly, streamlines the process into a single course for students wishing to apply for a CCW permit in their states. "

Outside of the fact that DPS has said nothing about this class the two instructor courses in Texas I found were $300 & $400, and you have to be a certified pistol instructor already, same as for the DPS class. I don't see why anyone in Texas would bother. Even if you could take it in lieu of the DPS class, why would you pay more?

I also have a hard time believing the modules cover everything DPS requires but you can't see what's in the class without taking the class.

The email.
------------------
During our Trainers' Update at NRA Annual Meeting, the NRA Education and Training Division announced the public launch of the NRA CCW Course.

The student course is modular, making it both universal and state requirement specific.

Currently certified NRA Pistol Instructors can take the two-day instructor course, which consists of both classroom and range time. There is also a marksmanship test. Those who pass will earn the NRA CCW Instructor Credential, and will be able to teach this new course to students.

The NRA CCW Course was designed by NRA Instructors for NRA Instructors and their students. It is a great complement to other NRA Education and Training courses, and will be a valuable credential to hold.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NRA CCW Instructor class

Post by Vol Texan »

I received that also.

I guessed that it was a class primarily focused to teach techniques, etc, rather than the law (which is a major component of our Texas LTC course).

But I could be wrong. I have no more info than you do.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I haven't seen the course objectives, modules or course of fire, but I suspect that it is an abbreviated. watered-down version of the Personal Protection Outside the Home class, perhaps with a bit more time spent on carry methods, holster option and the like. It also is likely a stand-alone class or an immediate follow-up to Basic Pistol so that a student doesn't have to have so many prerequisites (PPOtH has both PPItH and Basic Pistol as prerequisites).
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
jmorris

Post by jmorris »

At Indy they talked of the course as having fourteen or more modules from which a NRA CCW instructor could pick to have a course meeting the requirements of their state, and that was true for all 50 states. I just don't see that working in Texas.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

In any case, instructors in Texas could not certify someone for an LTC unless said instructor was certified by DPS. In many states, CCW instructors are not certified by their states, but just have to be pistol instructors, either NRA or LEO.

The LTC class could not have anything removed from it, only added, so the class would be longer. It's already a problem getting people to sit through a 4 hr class. This probably has some benefits in other states, but I don't see it being practical in Texas.

:tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

glock75

Post by glock75 »

I am a LTC instructor, SSC instructor and NRA CCW Instructor. the NRA CCW will work well with the LTC as a supplement. It takes elements of the Basic Pistol Course and the Personal Protection Outside the Home Course to make the 10 modules, along with an optional 'legal' module and the Course of Fire that is much improved, more difficult and very relevant for someone who is actually going to carry everyday.

The savvy instructor will be able to provide students with the LTC-100 and the additional NRA CCW certificate depending upon how you structure your courses. It is a huge improvement over current NRA PPOTH curriculum.
NRA, DPS and Rangemaster Certified Firearms Instructor
RWDefense.com

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

KR Training (Karl Rehn) recently hosted the new NRA CCW class.
Over the October 11-14, 2019 long weekend I and KR Training instructors John Daub and Tracy Thronburg got certified as instructors in the new NRA CCW course. The training was conducted by Tiffany Johnson and Aqil Qadir from the Citizens Safety Academy. Tiff and Aqil are also Rangemaster certified instructors in addition to being NRA Training Counselors.
http://blog.krtraining.com/the-new-nra-ccw-class/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
jmorris

Post by jmorris »

glock75 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:54 am I am a LTC instructor, SSC instructor and NRA CCW Instructor. the NRA CCW will work well with the LTC as a supplement. It takes elements of the Basic Pistol Course and the Personal Protection Outside the Home Course to make the 10 modules, along with an optional 'legal' module and the Course of Fire that is much improved, more difficult and very relevant for someone who is actually going to carry everyday.

The savvy instructor will be able to provide students with the LTC-100 and the additional NRA CCW certificate depending upon how you structure your courses. It is a huge improvement over current NRA PPOTH curriculum.
Do you do this as one class?
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

jmorris wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:27 pm
glock75 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:54 am I am a LTC instructor, SSC instructor and NRA CCW Instructor. the NRA CCW will work well with the LTC as a supplement. It takes elements of the Basic Pistol Course and the Personal Protection Outside the Home Course to make the 10 modules, along with an optional 'legal' module and the Course of Fire that is much improved, more difficult and very relevant for someone who is actually going to carry everyday.

See this link for a discussion by Karl Rehn that includes how to use the NRA courses.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
jmorris

Post by jmorris »

oljames3 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:23 pm
jmorris wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:27 pm

See this link for a discussion by Karl Rehn that includes how to use the NRA courses.
Ok, what they are doing makes much sense. Using it as a follow on, more advanced, course to the LTC. My problem with the course was always that it was presented as being a sufficient to meet the training requirements for a license in *all* 50 states. There was no way this could substitute for the DPS required training.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “Instructors' Corner”