Range Instruction Content for Online LTC Proficiency Test

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Range Instruction Content for Online LTC Proficiency Test

Post by skeathley »

That is up to you. Typically, it would be either
1. For a weak student, whatever intermediate training would bring them up to the level of the Proficiency, OR
2. For stronger students, whatever more advanced training you see fit, to use up the time.

I always tell people to bring 100 rounds of ammo. We use the first 50 for training, and the other 50 for the Proficiency.

:fire
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Here's a couple threads where the LTC-101 has been discussed. Ensure you look for both places you'll need to sign (1-2 hrs range training, plus proficiency exam)

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... y#p1213210

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... y#p1215229

Perhaps reach out directly to the DPS regarding the LTC-8 vs LTC-9 question, if no members here that've dealt with this reply. I'm curious too. I don't think we (non-online providers) have access to the LTC-9, do we?

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

superchief wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 pm Folks, I need some help. I have a friend of mine that wants me to conduct the proficiency test part of his online LTC class. I've never paid attention to any of that because i really don't want to get into that end of the business. I tried to access the online class outline, but it seems to have a different password than our "traditional class" part of the site. I've done some googling and understand there is a 1-2 hour range instruction required in addition to the proficiency test. Any guidelines available on the required content for that part of the online experience?
This is something I've wondered about because not only is the "range instruction" listed as part of the online proficiency test but ...

GC §411.188. HANDGUN PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT.
(a) The director by rule shall establish minimum standards for handgun proficiency and shall develop a course to teach handgun proficiency and examinations to measure handgun proficiency. The course to teach handgun proficiency is required for each person who seeks to obtain a license and must contain training sessions divided into two parts. One part of the course must be classroom instruction and the other part must be range instruction and an actual demonstration by the applicant of the applicant’s ability to safely and proficiently use a handgun. An applicant must be able to demonstrate, at a minimum, the degree of proficiency that is required to effectively operate a handgun. The department shall distribute the standards, course requirements, and examinations on request to any qualified handgun instructor or approved online course provider seeking to administer the course or a part of the course as described by Subsection (b).

But nowhere in any material I have is the range instruction portion of the handgun proficiency requirement spelled out, including the course outline.

The only possible place would be in the slides handout from the instructor course (mine is 1/18/2016). At the end of module 2 is a section on range rules, safety, dominate eye, sight picture, etc, that could be range instruction but the leading slide says it is not part of the course but is for informational purposes only.

So what the heck is this?
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Mike S wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:36 am Here's a couple threads where the LTC-101 has been discussed. Ensure you look for both places you'll need to sign (1-2 hrs range training, plus proficiency exam)

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... y#p1213210

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... y#p1215229

Perhaps reach out directly to the DPS regarding the LTC-8 vs LTC-9 question, if no members here that've dealt with this reply. I'm curious too. I don't think we (non-online providers) have access to the LTC-9, do we?
The LTC 9 is the report that is made by the online instructor. Since the instructor doing the proficiency is not doing it online then the LTC 8 is used. It is a shame that the State does not let active instructors have online courses, IMO this was done purposely, because those in the State who do the thinking, do not even do that well.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I have done a couple of these. I use the same curriculum and slides as I use for the Handgun Use and Safety portion of my LTC course which is usually about 1 to 1.25 hours long. Then we do the Proficiency Demonstration and I sign the instruction and proficiency sections of the LTC 101 (and make a copy for myself). I then submit an LTC 8 on the student. Usually, I will try to get these folks to come to my regular LTC Class where I teach Use and Safety first followed by the Proficiency (do not come in just any time someone shows up at the range wanting a Prof Only). Take care of their paperwork while I put everyone on break while I score targets, then the Prof Only student leaves and I continue with the rest of the class. Just to keep things separate, I submit the Prof Only LTC 8 separately from the class one.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Yep, what they said. I've done a bunch. I bring a .22. We talk safety, review 30.06, 30.07, 51%, open carry, then I let them shoot my .22. You can quickly assess what they need help on. I spend a little time on skill drills and then do the qualification. I use the full 2 hours. Just my preference. I've talked to other instructors who just do the qualification. Since I charge almost the same as a full class, I feel a little obligated to offer more.

I have them send me the PDF of their 101 so I can print two copies and pre-fill the range info. If they pass, you sign both, they sign both, you each keep one. Then send in your ltc-8 to the state but remember, they want "online student proficiency" printed on the top. I suspect that helps them in processing and some stats.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”