2019 numbers are out

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

2019 numbers are out

Post by Scott B. »

DPS says that as of 12/31/2019 we have 4,084 certified instructors. That's up from 3,784 in 2018. And FWIW, there were 13 suspensions.

Here's my question. Keeping in mind that instructors were required to renew, DPS reports 2,380 instructor certificates issued for 2019. Throw in 400 (rough guess) newly graduated instructors, how do we count 4k certified but only 2.3k issued in a renewal year? The math portion of the SAT/ACT was my weakest but I don't understand the disparity. :headscratch

And, does anybody know what the current SSC instructor numbers are?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 2019 numbers are out

Post by flechero »

Do you renew annually? Sounds like maybe every other year, based on the numbers.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

We're all on the same, every two years schedule
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

howdy

Post by howdy »

I became an Instructor in 2003 and I think we had around 1200 Instructors then. The law required a 10 hour initial course and a 4 hour renewal course, all given by an Instructor. Back then, I could have a class just by telling people I was an Instructor and they would gather some friends and we would have a class. Now we have 4000+ Instructors, on-line courses and no renewal. I think most Instructors never teach a class and I have a fear they are not keeping up with the required course material. Maybe it is time the State weed out Instructors that are not actively teaching (I would fall in that category). All I have done in the last year is do shooting quals.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

howdy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:16 pm I became an Instructor in 2003 and I think we had around 1200 Instructors then. The law required a 10 hour initial course and a 4 hour renewal course, all given by an Instructor. Back then, I could have a class just by telling people I was an Instructor and they would gather some friends and we would have a class. Now we have 4000+ Instructors, on-line courses and no renewal. I think most Instructors never teach a class and I have a fear they are not keeping up with the required course material. Maybe it is time the State weed out Instructors that are not actively teaching (I would fall in that category). All I have done in the last year is do shooting quals.
Your not teaching... Is that by choice or is the field saturated.....

I ask, because I go for my basic NRA instructors license next week and have seriously considered getting my LTC instructor license some time this summer or fall....

howdy

Post by howdy »

I don't do much instructing because I don't do much instructing. Not trying to be a wise guy but word of mouth is an amazing thing. If Joe takes his course from Bob and liked it, he will tell someone else about Bob and Bob gets a new student. I did my Instructor renewal at the Texas Gun Club in Stafford, Texas and the Instructor there was outstanding. I would highly recommend him. He is a case in point. great guy, great facility and he gets many students. I don't teach much so I don't get the word of mouth. (even being a great guy with a great personality, incredibly smart.....and modest)If you have contacts like at your work, Church, social circle, you could stay busy. Advertising would help. Check out your local ranges and see if they allow outside Instructors to qualify students there. (some ranges don't) Keep up with the material and read this forum. It is very easy to keep my Instructor qual so I maintain it. In the past, I did several courses a year just for renewals of old students. I was an active Instructor from 2003-2009 and I had many old students coming up for renewal. I kept track of them and sent out emails of new laws and requal information. When that requirement went away, most of my instructing went away.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

howdy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:21 am I don't do much instructing because I don't do much instructing. Not trying to be a wise guy but word of mouth is an amazing thing. If Joe takes his course from Bob and liked it, he will tell someone else about Bob and Bob gets a new student. I did my Instructor renewal at the Texas Gun Club in Stafford, Texas and the Instructor there was outstanding. I would highly recommend him. He is a case in point. great guy, great facility and he gets many students. I don't teach much so I don't get the word of mouth. (even being a great guy with a great personality, incredibly smart.....and modest)If you have contacts like at your work, Church, social circle, you could stay busy. Advertising would help. Check out your local ranges and see if they allow outside Instructors to qualify students there. (some ranges don't) Keep up with the material and read this forum. It is very easy to keep my Instructor qual so I maintain it. In the past, I did several courses a year just for renewals of old students. I was an active Instructor from 2003-2009 and I had many old students coming up for renewal. I kept track of them and sent out emails of new laws and requal information. When that requirement went away, most of my instructing went away.
Thank you... I appreciate the detailed response.... I have several motivating factors... Primary being I just simply enjoy teaching firearms and bringing more people into the light as it were... I've been asked repeatedly over the years to help train those who aren't very familiar with shooting so I thought that it would be a good idea to get some credibility by getting my NRA license... Plus why not possibly earn a few extra bucks here and there... I'm about 9 years away from real retirement, but I can see this as a nice income supplement as well... I scheduled my Instructors course about 6 weeks ago and have mentioned it to a few people at church etc.. and the first response is "GREAT, I want to get my LTC"... I of course have to explain that it's just basic pistol instruction, but you don't have to hit me over the head more than a couple of times to know where many peoples interest are right now....

Thanks again for your reply....

Return to “Instructors' Corner”