My letter to Governor Abbott

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

My letter to Governor Abbott

Post by Vol Texan »

I sent this letter to the governor a couple of days ago. I don't know if it will have an impact or not, but I thought it was worth a try.
VolTexan wrote:
Governor Abbott,

First, please let me thank you for the direction and leadership you have provided during this current COVID19 issue. I do appreciate the difficulty and complexity of the decisions you have to make vs. those you feel best deferred to the counties and cities across Texas.

I am writing to you for what is a relatively minor issue compared to others you are facing now, but I believe it is significant enough to warrant your attention. If it is in your authority, I request you allow your fellow Texans who are LTC instructors across the state to teach our live LTC classes via online meetings rather than solely face-to-face in order to maintain maximum social distancing during this COVID19 epidemic.

As a Texas License to Carry (LTC) instructor, I have noticed a significant increase in the number of Texans trying to purchase firearms for their self protection, and a commensurate number of Texans seeking out a way to attain their LTC card. In our LTC courses we teach laws about carrying (and using) firearms, handgun use & safety, non-violent dispute resolution, proper storage practices.

I know the law allows for select companies to provide online LTC courses, but the 'live' LTC instructors provide a classroom experience that allows for a significant amount of additional learning due to the interactive nature of Q&A from the students in a 'live course'. As LTC instructors, we are only permitted to teach our live courses face-to-face. Modern meeting technologies such as Skype, MS Teams, Zoom, etc. are not permitted.

I've called to ask the DPS whether this "no online meetings - only face-to-face" rule had been eased in light of our current social distancing guidelines, but they let me know the rules were unchanged. I assume they do not have the authority to ease this rule, and that decision can only be made at a higher level.

If this is something in your authority, I encourage you to consider the impact of allowing LTC instructors to teach via teleconference - at least for the near term future. This is good for many reasons:
  • More gun owners is good, but even better is more educated gun owners.
  • Self-paced online learning is OK (i.e. meets the minimum standards), but live instructors able to answer a variety of questions have the ability to exceed these minimums.
  • In our state of economic unrest, this allows 'live' LTC instructors the ability to generate a bit more income to support their families.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I'm thankful to have your strong conservative leadership in Austin these days!
God bless, and keep well.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My letter to Governor Abbott

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Very well done!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

:iagree: very well done. I just sent my instructor application today. Maybe I’ll get lucky by the time I’m certified I can then do online classes.

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I got this form letter in from DPS today, as I assume many of us did. I guess the “No Skype” is an administrative rule, not a law that requires legislative attention to change.

I do wish they would reconsider, given the situation, but I’ll abide by the rules as they stand. No classes for me right now.
RSD wrote:Instructors,

This email is to address your concerns about conducting LTC classes by Skype, Zoom and/or any other online video communication. At this time, the Department request you follow Administrative Rule §6.40 (a) which states “all instruction must be conducted in person by qualified handgun instructors who hold a valid certificate in Texas” and “Guest instructors, webinars, and videos may not substitute for the required course hours”. Unfortunately the use of any online video communication is not permitted at this time.

If classroom instruction is to be held, please ensure that your class follows municipal, state, and federal guidelines for social distancing practices until such measures are lifted.

Another alternative for an LTC applicant is to take the classroom portion with an approved Online Course Provider. After an applicant successfully completes the online class, they must bring their LTC 101 (Certificate of Training) to a Certified LTC Instructor in order to complete part B (range instruction) and part C (proficiency demonstration). Note: always remember to practice social distancing.

The Department appreciates your commitment to Handgun Safety and the safety of our applicants.

Management
Texas Department of Public Safety
Regulatory Services Division
Handgun Licensing Program
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Interesting, have not received that communication from DPS/RSD yet. Have had to cancel a couple of classes in the last couple of weeks due to not enough space in the classroom to provide for adequate "social distancing."
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”