Replacing Lost Certificates

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Replacing Lost Certificates

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Sounds like someone is having a panic attack. I think 5.50 is reasonable but it likely won’t stop the folks who get panicked

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

I understand your frustration, but in the aspect of 'customer service' I'd kindly suggest replying to their email with a PDF copy of their certificate (with a reminder for them to sign the bottom before uploading to DPS' portal, if your copy doesn't have their signature).

Other than time, this option wouldn't cost you anything, & could net you word of mouth referrals.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I can count on one hand how many times I’ve had to replace lost certs.

:iagree:

I just send them a PDF with the reminder of a signature.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I make a copy of the 100 AFTER they sign and keep the copy in my files. When they request another copy, I send them a PDF copy of the form with all signatures. Have only had a few, but seems like more lately. The ones that really get me are the ones that call in the evening wanting me to walk them through the application after I have given them specific instructions at the end of the class about what they have to do.

When I am teaching at my own range, I require that the student have completed the application and be at least scheduled for their prints before the class so all they have to do is upload the form, but cannot make that a requirement when teaching at another range.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I'd send it free of charge. I guess I'm old school and think the receiver would be more likely to recommend your services to his friends and family. I worked for my dad at his veterinary practice; we received many requests for replacement rabies vaccination certificates and tags. The process entailed looking up their records, filling out a new certificate, create and provide a new tag, plus cross indexing the old and new records; all by hand. Many times my dad would pay the postage to send it by mail. Worked for him for 65+ years, LOL, he had by a large margin the largest practice in the city and practically died on his feet at 93. Sending a scanned copy by email would go a long way to create good will, not to mention positive word of mouth advertising. JMHO
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

STR8-SHOT

Post by STR8-SHOT »

A phone app like Tiny Scanner makes taking a pic of the paper form as a PDF and emailing it straight from the app to the student super easy. All my online students get the form emailed to them with instructions on how to file it and a reminder to sign it at the bottom. For my live classes, I take a PDF pic of the fully signed form for my records before handing it to them. Fortunately, I’ve never been contacted about a lost form, but I’m ready to quickly send it for free if needed.

David
STR8-SHOT Training
Online LTC Course Provider

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I text students PDFs of their LTC-100. Use Office Lens (free) to grab a photo and convert to PDF. If your cell phone camera takes good quality shots it works just fine.

No charge. It happens very infrequently.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I do all 100s on my laptop and use a digital signature for my blocks. I print two copies at end of class for signatures, one for student and myself (although DPS has said we're not required to maintain a signed copy). I've had a few requests for replacement and I just send them a copy they can resign.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

jmorris wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:49 pm I do all 100s on my laptop and use a digital signature for my blocks. I print two copies at end of class for signatures, one for student and myself (although DPS has said we're not required to maintain a signed copy). I've had a few requests for replacement and I just send them a copy they can resign.
I do similar. I fill in all the forms and sign them digitally, saving them on my OneDrive. I 'print to PDF' another copy with the word 'signed' appended to the end of the same filename, so they can have an openable copy (no password). After they qualify, I can email them their forms straight from the OneDrive.

If a student asks for a replacement, I email it straight off my OneDrive, no charge.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Texanaggie

Post by Texanaggie »

AF-Odin wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:03 am I make a copy of the 100 AFTER they sign and keep the copy in my files. When they request another copy, I send them a PDF copy of the form with all signatures. Have only had a few,
I do the same thing easy enough to email it back to them.... i use a portable scanner or use an app on my phone to get the scan at the classroom..

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Mike S wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 am I understand your frustration, but in the aspect of 'customer service' I'd kindly suggest replying to their email with a PDF copy of their certificate (with a reminder for them to sign the bottom before uploading to DPS' portal, if your copy doesn't have their signature).

Other than time, this option wouldn't cost you anything, & could net you word of mouth referrals.
This is what I do, although it's very rare that I have a student need a replacement LTC-100. I have them in digital form.

Chas.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”