Instructor range fee for Online students

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Sethco
Posts in topic: 1

Instructor range fee for Online students

Post by Sethco »

Just curious as to what others charge and how many will and will not do the hybrid class? I have had several ask me that took the online class and wanted me to do the range portion, I don't like the online stuff and generally refuse to do the range part for those, however I did hear of one instructor that charged a $100/student with a $500 minimum. But would do a full class for $100 with a $100 minimum. Just curious to what other are doing... I despise the online class but am willing to do it for the same price as a full class. What is everyone else doing?

AF-Odin

Re: Instructor range fee for Online students

Post by AF-Odin »

Range where I work Part time charges $35 for the hour of instruction and shooting. Full class is $85. Too many of these on-line folks seem to think all they have to do is shoot with no instruction yet the form requires that I certify I have provided 1-2 hours of "Range Instruction" in addition to the Demonstration of Proficiency. What I usually do is a refresher on handgun safety and operation. It is amazing to me that these folks frequently have only rudimentary skills and knowledge. Also, they think they can walk in any time to the range and an instructor will drop everything else to just watch them shoot.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Greybeard »

Ya, I've had more than a few callers think all they need to do is show up and have me watch them shoot. I tired of arguing with 'em a long time ago and have this conclusion for the option on our web site: "In summary, the cost for the RANGE PORTION of the "hybrid" (online elsewhere + shooting at DCSA) LTC class option for 1 OR 2 EXPERIENCED students on a weekday or weekday evening is $120.00 (or $160.00 if needed on a weekend). If interest, contact Lonnie at dcsa1996@yahoodotcom and state (1) that you have read all of the above, (2) the make, model and caliber of the handgun you plan to use, (3) that you do or do not have at least 50 rounds of ammo for it and (4) your contact information and a specific date and time that you would like to make an appointment for the PRIVATE SESSION and PRE-PAID RANGE RESERVATION."
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

STR8-SHOT
Posts in topic: 2

Post by STR8-SHOT »

Good question! It would be interesting to hear what others are charging.

I charge $30 to my DFW online LTC clients who take my online course because I can coordinate groups of online students together. And when you add that amount to my $50 online LTC course fee, it keeps the combined student price fairly reasonable and competitive to a live course. The advantage to the online LTC course is obviously the time flexibility in which the student can complete it.

Teaming up as an affiliate with an online course provider such as myself can create a significant source of income for LTC instructors from the generous referral bonus that I pay for each referral. When you add the referral bonus to what you might charge for the range instruction/prof demo, you are making close to what you probably charge per student for a full day live LTC course, but but for only about 1.5hr of effort, freeing you up to offer actual pistol instruction to the student for an additional fee.

Being an affiliate also increases client traffic flow for a gun range or LTC instructor that could lead to additional sales/rentals and/or other training course purchases. Building good business relationships with new clients almost always leads to new referrals and repeat business for you. Each client you refer also receives a discount off the online course fee, so it’s a win for everyone.

The online students who take my online course receive a top quality LTC course taught by an experienced law enforcement firearms instructor. I include a detailed section on range instruction and the proficiency demonstration so that they know what to expect at the range when you meet with them. When you become an affiliate, you’ll have access to the online course to see exactly what instruction your client referrals are receiving. Last time I asked, DPS still cannot explain what the legislators intended us to cover for an hour regarding range instruction, so we have some flexibility until they outline the content for us.

David

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I charge $65 for the online student quals and $80 for my regular students. I cover the range fee. I run them with my regular students. I don't mind doing the online folks, but they always have so many questions. Kind of feel bad for them.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

"I don't mind doing the online folks, but they always have so many questions. Kind of feel bad for them."

Yep, I've had several like that, ones that our web site "screening process" did not make go elsewhere. Recent one was a pretty (other than the nose ring) younger gal, fearful of an "ex". She passed the shooting test by the skin of her teeth. And did not have a clue about the difference between FMJs and self defense loads.

The last lady was very small, mid 40s, fearful of "home invasion". Had never fired a gun of any kind in her life. Teenage son had helped her select her first one: a Glock 43. Only had one box of FMJs. Circumstances told me she was far from ready for "demonstration of proficiency". At 15 yards, out of 10 shots on B-27, only 1 hole anywhere on the paper.

Yep, quite challenging times. "One size" most definitely does not fit all and doing the right thing often becomes far more important than the money.

STR8-SHOT

Post by STR8-SHOT »

I had a 23yo lady this past weekend with the dirtiest, bone dry-est gun I’d ever seen. She shot OK, but when I asked if she ever cleaned or lubricated her gun, she had no clue it even needed it. I really enjoy helping new shooters get familiar with their firearms and will always provide extra tips and advice while I have them at the range. You’re right Greybeard, it’s not all about the money.

David

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Back to the OP's question, I think you'll find a variety of opinions regarding the online courses, and a variety of methods on how instructors are handling the range training & proficiency exams, or even if they are offering that option for online students.

I focus on private lessons anyway, so for me there's really not much change. I offer the range portion of the LTC as a 3-4 hour session, & charge the same as I do for 3-4 hours of a private lesson. A good amount of that time is spent on 'teaching' the fundamentals of defensive marksmanship to establish a baseline, rather than assuming each person will show up competent.

I was hesitant to the idea of the online courses, but for the most part I've only had one person who wasn't fully satisfied with their online experience, & I believe it was likely a difference in individual learning style vs content. (And no, I don't offer the online course nor am I affiliated with any in the manner David describes above). With the volume of people suddenly focused on self defense during this period of uncertainty, I've come to see it as a blessing that online courses were approved last session.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Can someone refresh my memory. I’ve only done normal classes and range, I’m not online certified. I have a couple who did their online course and now need the range qualifications. My understanding is that I need to sign their LTC-101 (range portion) and then submit a regular LTC-8 with the range portion marked as passing.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

"My understanding is that I need to sign their LTC-101 (range portion) and then submit a regular LTC-8 with the range portion marked as passing."

Yep. Sign off now required 2 places. FWIW, I typically add a note "online class by others".

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Greybeard wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:50 pm "My understanding is that I need to sign their LTC-101 (range portion) and then submit a regular LTC-8 with the range portion marked as passing."

Yep. Sign off now required 2 places. FWIW, I typically add a note "online class by others".
Thanks

Neverpanic1

Post by Neverpanic1 »

Greybeard wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:50 pm "My understanding is that I need to sign their LTC-101 (range portion) and then submit a regular LTC-8 with the range portion marked as passing."

I simply mark a line through the classroom portion on the LTC-8, saying this wasn't provided by me. Then just "check" the range portion. RDC has, so far, been good with that.
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

Neverpanic1

Post by Neverpanic1 »

My range topics are firearm safety...with emphases on muzzle and finger discipline. Range etiquette, and some basic firearm mechanics...as I'm noticing, many are having the same issue of students saying they're experience shooters....that is, until we actually see them shoot. : /
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

If they can attend a class I'll switch my class up and do the safety portion last to cover the 1-2 hours of classroom and charge them $30. Not in the class I'll do it for $40.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “Instructors' Corner”