I am looking for a skilled reloader

Holsters and firearms-related gear and accessories, reloading equipment & supplies, ammo

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Pugamus
Posts in topic: 3

I am looking for a skilled reloader

Post by Pugamus »

I am interested in paying someone for their reloading services. I am looking for 6 pure silver .357 magnum rounds to be reloaded in a nickel plated case. As close to defensive ammo specifications (preferably to Hornady specs). I can get you the ounces of silver necessary for hollow point castings. Or l can have the billets ordered for you. All you would have to do is reload them in virgin cases. If you're interested in exploring this please let me know via email.

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I am looking for a skilled reloader

Post by Lambda Force »

Have you tried MHI?
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

Werewolf bullets?

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Lone Ranger ammo?
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I'm guessing a ceremonial type display case.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

I would suggest having the bullets turned on a lathe rather than cast. If it is only for a display and no powder, simply have the bullets turned a few thousandths undersized and insert in the cases.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I won't speak for others, but random guy probably can't sell his reloads, although just six rounds probably wouldn't trigger an investigation or trip the livelihood requirement.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/person- ... nufacturer

Sticking with the companies laid out here by others will probably work out best for you.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

hovercat wrote:I would suggest having the bullets turned on a lathe rather than cast. If it is only for a display and no powder, simply have the bullets turned a few thousandths undersized and insert in the cases.
:iagree: Silver has a very high melting temperature and you would have to obtain a special mold which would probably cost a bunch of money.
NRA Endowment Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Melting and casting silver is several orders of magnitude more difficult than lean.

Lead melting point: 621.5°F

Silver melting point: 1,763°F

While lead can be melted in an electric pot, silver is going to require a furnace. I doubt normal lead-casting molds would work well (or at least very long) at nearly 3 times the temperature.

You just can't do it over a campfire like the Lone Ranger.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I would be concerned about the hardness of silver. If it's much harder than copper, wouldn't it resusult in higher pressures?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Liberty wrote:I would be concerned about the hardness of silver. If it's much harder than copper, wouldn't it resusult in higher pressures?
Silver is less dense and much harder than Lead, these factors will cause a lot of problems when it comes to developing a load that is actually going to meet specific performance requirements while not creating an over-pressure situation. Additional equipment to properly develop this load would be a strain gauge system for the barrel used, a chronograph and a bullet trap capable of catching the silver bullets so they can be recycled (too expensive to waste when you are considering how may rounds will have to be fired to properly develop the load the OP wants).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

Pawpaw wrote:Melting and casting silver is several orders of magnitude more difficult than lean.

While lead can be melted in an electric pot, silver is going to require a furnace. I doubt normal lead-casting molds would work well (or at least very long) at nearly 3 times the temperature.

1,763°F is not three times 621.5°F. The Fahrenheit scale is not absolute temperature.

To make the comparison, you must first convert to absolute temperature, the Rankine scale by adding 459.69 to the Fahrenheit temperature. The ratio is (1763+459.69)/(621.5+459.69) = 2.06, or roughly double.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

dhoobler wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Melting and casting silver is several orders of magnitude more difficult than lean.

1,763°F is not three times 621.5°F. The Fahrenheit scale is not absolute temperature.

To make the comparison, you must first convert to absolute temperature, the Rankine scale by adding 459.69 to the Fahrenheit temperature. The ratio is (1763+459.69)/(621.5+459.69) = 2.06, or roughly double.
600.372 Kelvins = 621.5*F
1234.817 kelvins = 1763*F

I concur, double the temperature. But I do agree with the original statement that lead casts probably wouldn't last too long.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

With the hardness of silver, hollow points would look cool, but not expand at all.

Return to “Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies”