Recommendations for truck holstering

Holsters and firearms-related gear and accessories, reloading equipment & supplies, ammo

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 3

Recommendations for truck holstering

Post by Odinvalknir »

I drove to Dallas and back with a stopover halfway in Centerville each way over the weekend. And it was at least a two and a half hour drive to my parents and then on to Dallas and then back to my parents and back to Houston. while driving so much I realized it was literally a pain in the butt and back 2 carry my firearm while driving for extended amount of time. My holster is extremely comfortable while standing and even while sitting butt from sitting long periods it becomes less so. I am wondering about either a Kydex holster that can be mounted to the underside of my Dash near my knee, or even one of those magnets that mounts to the plastic and the gun will stick to. Anybody have any recommendations on what to get?

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommendations for truck holstering

Post by bblhd672 »

Closely examine the Texas laws regarding transporting your handgun while in your vehicle, before deciding what to purchase. There's been several threads before with this question.

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... icle+carry

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=91895

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=88135
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

The only caveats I can think of is to make sure it isn't visible from outside the vehicle as it needs to remain concealed when not on your person and be discrete when moving it from your the holster you are wearing to the one installed in our vehicle and vice versa.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:19 pm The only caveats I can think of is to make sure it isn't visible from outside the vehicle as it needs to remain concealed when not on your person and be discrete when moving it from your the holster you are wearing to the one installed in our vehicle and vice versa.

Well having it somewhere that it's not visible from outside the vehicle while driving should not be an issue. It will essentially be down somewhere around my knee or below. So unless somebody is standing in the passenger window and looking down at my legs they would not see it. I will do a little bit more research on the matter before deciding, but I have a cheap Blackhawk holster that I never even tried to use but had gotten for free. And I'm wondering if there's some way I could use it and have it to where the holster itself is also removable from the dash, so I don't have a empty holster sitting there telling everyone who walked past my truck that I have firearms.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Reading the posts at the link provided is advisable. If someone walks up to your vehicle and can see a gun from outside, it is not concealed.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I know I've gone between El Paso to San Antinio and El Paso to Whitesboro with a pistol at the 4:00 O Clock position in an IWB Crossbreed holster and just about forgotten that I had it on.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Personally, I would just get a holster that fits in your truck console and use that. As others have noted, if it can be seen from outside the vehicle, then cover it up with a rag or something to avoid any potential issues. The gun needs to be concealed, not the holster, obviously.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Odinvalknir wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:08 pm I drove to Dallas and back with a stopover halfway in Centerville each way over the weekend. And it was at least a two and a half hour drive to my parents and then on to Dallas and then back to my parents and back to Houston. while driving so much I realized it was literally a pain in the butt and back 2 carry my firearm while driving for extended amount of time. My holster is extremely comfortable while standing and even while sitting butt from sitting long periods it becomes less so. I am wondering about either a Kydex holster that can be mounted to the underside of my Dash near my knee, or even one of those magnets that mounts to the plastic and the gun will stick to. Anybody have any recommendations on what to get?
I can only tell you what works well for me in my circumstances with my understanding of Texas Penal Code Chapter 46. I am neither required, nor do I have the inclination to argue with anyone about this. IANAL.

I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch openly in a Safariland 7TS ALS OWB holster, using the QLS to attach the holster to my belt. SWMBO says I cannot wear the pistol in her car as the sandpaper-like texture of the grip will scratch her leather seats. When entering SWMBO's car, I disconnect my holster from my belt and store the pistol, still in its belt holster, in the door pocket.
https://www.safariland.com/products/hol ... t-systems/

I've done my risk analysis and find this to be acceptable for me in my situation. Your mileage will vary.

It comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

WTR wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:42 pm I know I've gone between El Paso to San Antinio and El Paso to Whitesboro with a pistol at the 4:00 O Clock position in an IWB Crossbreed holster and just about forgotten that I had it on.
:iagree:

I have driven long distances with a Crossbreed IWB and never thought about it once. Usually have to feel my side when I stop to make sure it is still in place. I think the reason they are so comfortable is the wide thick piece of flat leather on the inside. No metal or stiff kydex will ever rub against you. Also, as high as they sit the barrel does not hit your hip.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:55 pm
Odinvalknir wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:08 pm I drove to Dallas and back with a stopover halfway in Centerville each way over the weekend. And it was at least a two and a half hour drive to my parents and then on to Dallas and then back to my parents and back to Houston. while driving so much I realized it was literally a pain in the butt and back 2 carry my firearm while driving for extended amount of time. My holster is extremely comfortable while standing and even while sitting butt from sitting long periods it becomes less so. I am wondering about either a Kydex holster that can be mounted to the underside of my Dash near my knee, or even one of those magnets that mounts to the plastic and the gun will stick to. Anybody have any recommendations on what to get?
I can only tell you what works well for me in my circumstances with my understanding of Texas Penal Code Chapter 46. I am neither required, nor do I have the inclination to argue with anyone about this. IANAL.

I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch openly in a Safariland 7TS ALS OWB holster, using the QLS to attach the holster to my belt. SWMBO says I cannot wear the pistol in her car as the sandpaper-like texture of the grip will scratch her leather seats. When entering SWMBO's car, I disconnect my holster from my belt and store the pistol, still in its belt holster, in the door pocket.
https://www.safariland.com/products/hol ... t-systems/

I've done my risk analysis and find this to be acceptable for me in my situation. Your mileage will vary.

It comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most.
I keep a Remora holster in my door pocket and will sometimes put my gun in it and store it in the door pocket or between the seat and console while I am on a long drive or if it is bothering me for some reason. Neither location is visible from standing outside the vehicle whether I am seated in the vehicle or not. However, when it is in the door pocket, it can become visible when I open the door wide enough to get in or out of the vehicle. I make sure there is no one within eye shot, covered with a towel or I move it to the holster I am wearing discretely before I open the door.

Like you say, each person has to make the determination what works for them. However, just because something works for them doesn't mean it won't get them in trouble with the law. Each person needs to make an informed decision for themselves.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Lynyrd wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:56 pm
WTR wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:42 pm I know I've gone between El Paso to San Antinio and El Paso to Whitesboro with a pistol at the 4:00 O Clock position in an IWB Crossbreed holster and just about forgotten that I had it on.

I have driven long distances with a Crossbreed IWB and never thought about it once. Usually have to feel my side when I stop to make sure it is still in place. I think the reason they are so comfortable is the wide thick piece of flat leather on the inside. No metal or stiff kydex will ever rub against you. Also, as high as they sit the barrel does not hit your hip.

I am using a crossbreed type holster. I have a stealthgear revolution, and it is very comfortable in most situations perhaps it's where it is located on my body or how I sit that makes it uncomfortable after a while of having the gun jam into my back. It doesn't bother me normally but I just noticed after a couple hours in the truck it started to get a little uncomfortable.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

Odinvalknir wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:03 pm
Lynyrd wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:56 pm

I am using a crossbreed type holster. I have a stealthgear revolution, and it is very comfortable in most situations perhaps it's where it is located on my body or how I sit that makes it uncomfortable after a while of having the gun jam into my back. It doesn't bother me normally but I just noticed after a couple hours in the truck it started to get a little uncomfortable.
Those stealthgear holsters are nice. I'm not knocking them at all. The difference with the Crossbreed is that there is a piece of leather between you and ALL parts of the gun. Perhaps try moving the position around. I used to carry about 4:00 to 4:30 but as time went on I have moved to 3:00 or 3:30 and find it more comfortable, especially when sitting.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I picked up one of these while at the convention.
http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/Conceale ... y-p30.html

This is the holster only, you also have to get the mounting strap. I'm have a little problem putting it in my 2018 Silverado 1500 as there is a bar in the way but I've figured out how to overcome that.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

If I'm driving very far, I'll remove my pistol and stuff it between the driver's and center seat cushions. As long as I'm sitting in the driver's seat, the pistol is pretty well hidden from view. I just have to make sure I re-holster before I get out.

I don't do it often, so I don't see any wear on the cushions.

You could also buy a Sticky Holster for that purpose.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies”