Talon grip tape

Holsters and firearms-related gear and accessories, reloading equipment & supplies, ammo

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 3

Talon grip tape

Post by Odinvalknir »

For about 2 months give or take, I have had the rubberized talon grip tape on my firearm that I carry every day. I noticed yesterday that the tape down near the magazine is starting to peel off of the grip and is of course impossible to put back where it was. I figured this stuff was going to be a little more resistant to rubbing up against my undershirt than it is.

Has anyone else had this issue and were you able to stop it from healing anymore? I had removed the piece of tape that was coming off and of course now it looks wonky.

Talon tape

Allons
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Talon grip tape

Post by Allons »

Can't view the picture, but I used a heat gun on mine the first time, then about a month later it started to peel right at the magazine release button. I just put the heat gun back on it and kept applying pressure to the point. Has not happened since, but I don't carry that gun every day either.

Update: I can see the picture now. Yeah I would just try heating it up again and apply pressure to the spot. That is about how mine looked when it happened just not in the same area.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

I have never had a problem with it. I made sure I cleaned it well and used a hot hair dryer when putting them in place and they have never given me a problem.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I have tried the Talon tape on two pistols. They did begin to peel off after some time, probably due to body heat, abrasion and sweat while carrying.
Tried to fix but finally gave up and just removed it all.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

flowrie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 pm I have tried the Talon tape on two pistols. They did begin to peel off after some time, probably due to body heat, abrasion and sweat while carrying.
That is my thinking as to why its happening. the spot at which the tape is the only part of the firearm that touches my body. I sent a message to Talon via their website and go an email saying they are sending me a new one. Though knowing that I followed the application directions to a T, I'm not sure slapping a new one on is going to help, but we shall see.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

I was looking at my G29 and wondering why the Talon grip tape has held up on a daily carry gun yet others have had problems. If you are going to apply the Talon grip tape clean your pistol well, it takes more than the wipes they provide. I used a tooth brush and isopropyl alcohol to scrub it and all the crevices. I also wiped it down numerous times with a rag and alcohol. After applying I used a hair dryer that gets real hot to get it exactly where I want it. I’ve never had it come off of the pistols I’ve applied it to.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

The tape grabs my shirt making it hard to CC. Of course, it is probably just in my head as noone notices when I open carry anyways! ;-)
Last edited by TreyHouston on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

flowrie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 pm I have tried the Talon tape on two pistols. They did begin to peel off after some time, probably due to body heat, abrasion and sweat while carrying.
This is my experience. Good idea, bad execution especially when applied on hard smooth plastic grips.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

They sent me a fresh one, which I applied after thoroughly wiping down the grip with alcohol and heated it more than I had the first one. It seems to have adhered better, but we will see after a couple months.

Return to “Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies”