Burris FastFire 3 vs EOTech 512

Holsters and firearms-related gear and accessories, reloading equipment & supplies, ammo

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Lleshon
Posts in topic: 1

Burris FastFire 3 vs EOTech 512

Post by Lleshon »

I'm looking for a red dot/holo optic and came across the two optics mentioned here. Based on the specs, Burris FastFire 3 seems to be pretty good, if not better than the EOTech.

Burris FF3 advantages
Nearly half the price. $200 vs $345 (best deal I've found so far on 512)
Lighter at ~1oz
Longer battery life. 10,000 hrs vs 1000
Less obstructed FOV. Since FF3 is thinner, it obstructs less view than EOTech

EOTech 512 advantages
Better/clearer glass
1 MOA (depending on who you ask, I guess)
Can use AA battery

I'm a bit of a noob so I might be missing something. I also don't have experience with either of them so I can only judge based on spec sheets and youtube videos. Can someone explain to me why an EOTech is worth the extra $150? Even if they were priced similarly, I feel like the Burris can still be comparable to the EOTech especially because of its weight and battery life. Thoughts?

bubba84

Re: Burris FastFire 3 vs EOTech 512

Post by bubba84 »

I had the FF3 on a pistol. It stays “on” but goes to sleep. It will power on with movement. The action of drawing from the holster would wake it up. I could never beat it. It was always on by the time I presented. Even tried to “sneak up on it” by drawing slowly and lightly.

Ive owned both but never had a micro dot on a rifle so i cant speak to that.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I wouldn’t recommend eotech or burris. I’m more of an aimpoint or trijicon guy. For almost the same price you can find a used aimpoint pro that is almost indestructible. You can find comp m2’s on tacswap for $200 +/- $50 pretty often. Trijicon MROs can be found for $300 if you look hard enough.

strogg

Post by strogg »

That's such an odd comparison. I'm not saying it's not a valid one, as I make comparisons like that all the time. I've thought about putting one of those micro red dots on a rifle before, but it seems odd as a primary optic. It would only make sense if it was a secondary optic, for example, to a low power scope.

That being said, I own both a FF3 and an Eotech. I also own an Aimpoint CompM-something and a Vortex Venom as relative comparisons. Lemme talk about all 4.

FF3: It's on my FNX 45, and it is a joy to use. I wouldn't put it on a rifle, though, since it is just so tiny. Also, it is super easy to smudge up the lens, mainly because it's so exposed. Even just talking near it would cause spit-water marks to show up on the lens. It's annoying. Good points, though, is that it is ruggedly made. I don't see it breaking anytime soon.

Eotech: The one I have uses CR123 batteries. It also seems pretty well made, although it does feel cheaper than the Aimpoint. Controls are in a goofy location for me (in the front). And the one I bought was around the time Eotech was supposedly having reliability issues, but I haven't had a single problem yet. I love how the optic is crystal clear, and I've never had to clean it before either. The 1-MOA dot is stupendous, and it really is a 1 MOA dot. I have it on my HD/a problem arises AR15 with a non-Eotech magnifier, and it works great with the magnifier.

Aimpoint: This one is on the .458 SOCOM. The rifle used to have the Eotech before I moved it to the other AR. The dot on the Aimpoint is a bit big, and the lens is not as clear as the Eotech by a thin margin. Despite that, the thing is built so well that the rifle will probably disintegrate before anything bad happens to the Aimpoint. The battery life on it is stupendous. I only changed the battery once about a year ago. The last time it got a battery change before that was 8 years ago when my friend I got it from first bought it. Compare that to the Eotech that has seen 3 batteries in the last 4 years.

Vortex: This one is seeing duty from the BFR Revolver chambered in .500 S&W Magnum. To be fair, it hasn't seen too many shots, and the somewhat lack of accuracy may very well be the shooter's fault. Regardless, it holds up. I don't think it loses zero at all. The revolver shoots 1 oz slugs at 1700 fps, so that speaks volumes to the durability of the red dot. Despite that, I still think the FF3 is a better sight.

Hopefully this helps you, Lleshon

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

strogg wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:34 am That's such an odd comparison. I'm not saying it's not a valid one, as I make comparisons like that all the time. I've thought about putting one of those micro red dots on a rifle before, but it seems odd as a primary optic. It would only make sense if it was a secondary optic, for example, to a low power scope.
I thought the same thing. One is a pistol optic, the other a long gun optic. :???:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:42 pm
strogg wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:34 am That's such an odd comparison. I'm not saying it's not a valid one, as I make comparisons like that all the time. I've thought about putting one of those micro red dots on a rifle before, but it seems odd as a primary optic. It would only make sense if it was a secondary optic, for example, to a low power scope.
I thought the same thing. One is a pistol optic, the other a long gun optic. :???:
Where did you get that idea? A MRD like the Fastfire works great on a long gun.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Pawpaw wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:00 pm
EoTech will not fit on handgun. Burris good for CQB but typically a secondary optic as strogg pointed out.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I only use FF3s now. My Sig killed a Docter 3, while the FF3 rides it like a champ. It also did fine on a Super Redhawk .44 with a 9.5" bbl and hot 300 grain handloads. I like great glass, but a reflex doesn't need to be in the same league as a 24x long range scope, so durability decides for me.

Zombified

Post by Zombified »

I like the Eotech because of the cirular reticle around the dot. For me it is easier to get on target with it rather than just a plain dot.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:13 pm
EoTech will not fit on handgun. Burris good for CQB but typically a secondary optic as strogg pointed out.
I agree with you... to a point. My AR-15 has a Trijicon RMR on top of a 4x32 ACOG. As you said, it excels for CQB in that application.

Seldom would a magnified optic really be needed on a PCC or a shotgun. I have a FF3 on a Mossy 500 and it excelled on a duck hunt a couple of years ago.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I tried a RMR on my Glock and couldn’t stand it. Went right back to sights. I got rid of all Aimpooints and Holosuns. I place EOTECH XPS on all of my AR’s except one and I have a 1-6 Vortex Scope on it and couldn’t be happier. The Eotechs are smaller and lighter than the Aimpoints and I just did not like the Holosuns at all. I do wished the Eotechs and the shake awake like the Holosuns did.

I know everyone is different and I also feel they all have strong points for different operations.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Pawpaw wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:34 am
I agree with you... to a point. My AR-15 has a Trijicon RMR on top of a 4x32 ACOG. As you said, it excels for CQB in that application.

Seldom would a magnified optic really be needed on a PCC or a shotgun. I have a FF3 on a Mossy 500 and it excelled on a duck hunt a couple of years ago.
I run RDS of one type or another on my PCC's. Have never felt the need for an optic of any sort on a shotty.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:52 am
Pawpaw wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:34 am

I run RDS of one type or another on my PCC's. Have never felt the need for an optic of any sort on a shotty.
I didn't "feel the need" for it on my 500 either. I happened to have the FF3 and a Mossy top rail sitting there, so I figured, "why not". It really worked well.

I think it would be a great setup for a home defense shotgun. If my home defense shotgun didn't have ghost ring sights, I'd put one on it in a heartbeat.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Ditto, although the FF can be used as a backup to a primary optic like a 1-6x or an ACOG on a long gun. But as a primary optic on a long gun? No thanks.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies”